Should Earthlings travel to and inhabit Mars? A discussion.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
"NO" because it is not habitable for humans, UNLESS you can live without oxygen and survive the cold. You are better off building a habitat under the ocean than on Mars. Just remember that any emergency assistance is about 9 months away....if you are lucky. On the other hand, what the private sector does is none of my business. What the gov does with taxpayer money IS our business and they spend frivolously as it is. In my opinion, if we are serious about migration to Mars, we should first use unmanned equipment to make the planet habitable, before sending humans on one way suicide missions. Let the private sector fund the experiment.
If the private sector funds it, then you will be looking at billboards in the sky.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Because we will either pollute it or turn it into a golf course - probably both.
So, in other words, the answer is yes (to golf, not pollution)
Old 03-07-2024, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
"Should Earthlings travel to and inhabit Mars?"

NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
why not???
Quote:
Because we will either pollute it or turn it into a golf course - probably both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So, in other words, the answer is yes (to golf, not pollution)
What do you call the 19th hole on the red planet ? A Mars Bar !
Old 03-08-2024, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
What do you call the 19th hole on the red planet ? A Mars Bar !
Good one!

What is Marvin the Martian's K-9 companions name?

Last edited by fdpaq0580; 03-08-2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Why should we go to Mars? We can see everything we wish of Mars by remote controlled equipment. If we send someone up there, will they survive? Will they make the long trip back? Have we sent anything up there, landed successfully AND made it back to Earth? I guess if some believe that man can change the climate on Earth, then they can go to Mars and warm it up and create oxygen from CO2. Since I know that living on Mars will never have any affect on me, I really don't care if some private money goes into the effort. However, I do not wish to see our taxpayer money go to the effort. Do I care if our sun goes out? Nope, because it won't happen in my lifetime, and probably not in my great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime. I personally believe that man's existence is based solely on God's plan for us, not on man believing they are gods and can have any choice in the matter.
Man travel to Mars? Why? Because they can? Good luck, just don't force me to contribute to the effort. Not interested in encouraging folks to go there just because they can, or think they can. There are many cheaper ways to commit suicide here on earth.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Why should we go to Mars? We can see everything we wish of Mars by remote controlled equipment. If we send someone up there, will they survive? Will they make the long trip back? Have we sent anything up there, landed successfully AND made it back to Earth? I guess if some believe that man can change the climate on Earth, then they can go to Mars and warm it up and create oxygen from CO2. Since I know that living on Mars will never have any affect on me, I really don't care if some private money goes into the effort. However, I do not wish to see our taxpayer money go to the effort. Do I care if our sun goes out? Nope, because it won't happen in my lifetime, and probably not in my great-great-great grandchildren's lifetime. I personally believe that man's existence is based solely on God's plan for us, not on man believing they are gods and can have any choice in the matter.
Man travel to Mars? Why? Because they can? Good luck, just don't force me to contribute to the effort. Not interested in encouraging folks to go there just because they can, or think they can. There are many cheaper ways to commit suicide here on earth.
How do you know that going to Mars isn’t part of God's plan?
Old 03-09-2024, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I don't believe that I said it isn't in HIS plan. I was suggesting that some feel that they can change the climate here, therefore god-like egos. I have no more interest in someone putting a country flag on Mars than I do when someone breaks a home run record in baseball or rushing record in football. As for putting a man on Mars is concerned, I believe it's just more frivolous spending of taxpayer's hard earned money. And like I said before, if the private sector wishes to waste their money, so be it.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't believe that I said it isn't in HIS plan. I was suggesting that some feel that they can change the climate here, therefore god-like egos. I have no more interest in someone putting a country flag on Mars than I do when someone breaks a home run record in baseball or rushing record in football. As for putting a man on Mars is concerned, I believe it's just more frivolous spending of taxpayer's hard earned money. And like I said before, if the private sector wishes to waste their money, so be it.
"God-like egos". Hardly! If I believed I could control the climate by myself with just a thought, that would be God-like. But, with the help of over 8 billion of my human brothers and sisters and all the ingenuity and machines and factories, ships, etc, it is more than possible. Hardly God-like.
Great endeavors bring amazing scientific discovery that save lives, and can help protect our country and much more. Hardly what I would call frivolous spending. It is a normal part of living as part of a society.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Which one controls space travel?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Which one controls space travel?
Which what controls space travel? Which God, which rule? Please be more spac-ific ������

Last edited by fdpaq0580; 03-10-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
No worries. With Elon calling the shots we’ll have a Mars colony by 2035 and will be mining the asteroid belt soon after.

As it should be.

SpaceX will probably be only one that can make trip.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
"God-like egos". Hardly! If I believed I could control the climate by myself with just a thought, that would be God-like. But, with the help of over 8 billion of my human brothers and sisters and all the ingenuity and machines and factories, ships, etc, it is more than possible. Hardly God-like.
Great endeavors bring amazing scientific discovery that save lives, and can help protect our country and much more. Hardly what I would call frivolous spending. It is a normal part of living as part of a society.
The only way to control climate change is to control population of humans.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The only way to control climate change is to control population of humans.
One of many pieces of the puzzle which need to be considered.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Unless we become a space going race we die when the sun expires.
In about a billion years, our local star will get enough brighter to cause the oceans of our little planet to boil away, so we really don't need to wait until the sun runs out of hydrogen and starts to expand radically (out to or just past the orbit of Earth) to find the neighborhood no longer what it used to be.

Besides, even if we could come up with the technology to live further out in the solar system or even to send humanity to the starts, it's not that likely that we'd live that far into the future anyway. Humans haven't been around for all that long compared to some dinosaur species, but even they didn't last a billion years. If we last another hundred thousand years or so, we will have had quite a nice run of it. Given how we have been as stewards to the planet, we probably won't last nearly that long.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
In about a billion years, our local star will get enough brighter to cause the oceans of our little planet to boil away, so we really don't need to wait until the sun runs out of hydrogen and starts to expand radically (out to or just past the orbit of Earth) to find the neighborhood no longer what it used to be.

Besides, even if we could come up with the technology to live further out in the solar system or even to send humanity to the starts, it's not that likely that we'd live that far into the future anyway. Humans haven't been around for all that long compared to some dinosaur species, but even they didn't last a billion years. If we last another hundred thousand years or so, we will have had quite a nice run of it. Given how we have been as stewards to the planet, we probably won't last nearly that long.
All true. So, what do you suggest our species should do? Take the pessimistic approach, assume the position, head between legs and kiss our buttons goodbye? Or, take an optimistic approach, try to be better stewards of our planet, invest in scientific plans that promote space travel for long-term survival and exploration? Or, lastly, ignore it all and play another round of golf and pretend everything is just fine?
Personally, I like option 2. Just because I love my species, that doesn't blind me to our faults. No kids means I have no stake in the future. Still, I'd like to think there is hope for my species, even though I will never know.

Tags
villages, center, rec, club, everglades

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.