Should Earthlings travel to and inhabit Mars? A discussion.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,202 Times in 762 Posts

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Men are from Mars, women are from Venus.
Sometimes it seems that way. But when my woman kisses me, I realize she is from heaven.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Unless we become a space going race we die when the sun expires.
Reminds me of a joke:

A scientist was giving a public lecture, and explained that the sun would go out in 5 billion years.

After the lecture, a woman came running up and asked, very panicked "Did you say the sun was going out in five million years?".

"No madam:, he responded, "I said 5 billion years".

Visibly relieved, the woman said "Oh thank God!" as she walked away.

There are many things I can worry about, but the earth ending is not even remotely on my list.
Old 04-15-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
"NO" because it is not habitable for humans, UNLESS you can live without oxygen and survive the cold. You are better off building a habitat under the ocean than on Mars. Just remember that any emergency assistance is about 9 months away....if you are lucky. On the other hand, what the private sector does is none of my business. What the gov does with taxpayer money IS our business and they spend frivolously as it is. In my opinion, if we are serious about migration to Mars, we should first use unmanned equipment to make the planet habitable, before sending humans on one way suicide missions. Let the private sector fund the experiment.
Agree 100%. People downplay the immense distances to points in space. There is nothing there that would allow items to be refined/built there. Everything would need to come from earth. Unless there is something there of immense worth to offset the cost, there is no way this is economically feasible.

While still insanely expensive, it would be better to colonize the moon. It would require everything moving to Mars would require, but it is closer, and could be used as a platform for deeper space exploration. With unmanned probes. There is no reason to send a human anywhere in outer space, other than ego.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Agree 100%. People downplay the immense distances to points in space. There is nothing there that would allow items to be refined/built there. Everything would need to come from earth. Unless there is something there of immense worth to offset the cost, there is no way this is economically feasible.

While still insanely expensive, it would be better to colonize the moon. It would require everything moving to Mars would require, but it is closer, and could be used as a platform for deeper space exploration. With unmanned probes. There is no reason to send a human anywhere in outer space, other than ego.
Ego has nothing to do with it. Curiosity has everything to do with it. Without curiosity to drive us forward, our species would have died off long, long ago. Eventually there will be bases on the moon, then Mars, then farther out. Our species will always want to know what is over the next hill. Eventually, Star Trek and Star Wars will be scifact more than sci-fi. And, probably far sooner then we realize.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,202 Times in 762 Posts

On a Twilight Zone episode, they came to Earth with a book, " How to serve man" , it was a cook book.!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
On a Twilight Zone episode, they came to Earth with a book, " How to serve man" , it was a cook book.!
I remember that episode. Apparently, we are delicious. A bit like pork .... Or so I've been told. 👽😱👽
Old 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,957 Times in 2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
If we were "colonized" or more likely genetically manipulated by those aliens, it would have been the aliens, not humans that visited those worlds. Besides, it is highly unlikely that anything organic could stand on the "surface" of Jupiter.

Also, consider modifications of the Drake equation with the numbers we now have from space-based telescopes. It suggests that in the observable universe there are 40 TRILLION civilizations equal to or more advanced than our own. However, the distances are so great that it is unlikely any 2 would stumble over each other. Plus, Einstein would have to be wrong and FTL travel possible, or the technology to create stable artificial wormholes would have to be possible. And even then we are an insignificant planet at the edge of an insignificant galaxy far from the center of the universe that didn't even have EM transmissions of any power until 90 years ago. Could we have been found and helped by benevolent aliens in the distant past---possible, but highly improbable. Yes, there are mysteries such as the Great Pyramid, Puma Punko and Gobekli Tepe that we can't explain, but applying Occam's razor, more likely they were built with human technology and labor that was lost to us over the millennia than "aliens"
Funny we can’t cut big blocks of stone that accurately today and still can’t lift them in place due to weight. We can’t find the technology cause we never had it.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Ego has nothing to do with it. Curiosity has everything to do with it. Without curiosity to drive us forward, our species would have died off long, long ago. Eventually there will be bases on the moon, then Mars, then farther out. Our species will always want to know what is over the next hill. Eventually, Star Trek and Star Wars will be scifact more than sci-fi. And, probably far sooner then we realize.
We are species of greed and blind following. The have nots want what the haves have. Man only species that kill for fun (some call it sport). Sure majority are weak and must follow, but don’t get out of line or face the raft.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
We are species of greed and blind following. The have nots want what the haves have. Man only species that kill for fun (some call it sport). Sure majority are weak and must follow, but don’t get out of line or face the raft.
You could be describing most any predatory species that live in groups, like lions, hyena, apes, orcas, etc. And man is not the only species that kills when it isn't necessary. (Seemingly for fun. Chasing down an animal, toying with it, then leaving the dead when it no longer provides entertainment. Cats, dogs, dolphins, apes, and more.)
Old 04-17-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I love Star Trek. But it totally sidesteps the issues of faster than light travel and the issues with space/time when you approach the speed of light. A quick google search will verify this. Even at the speed of light, the closet star, Alpha Centauri, is 4.3 years away.

And this isn't an issue of developing better technology. It's physics. Unless you can figure out a way to suspend those laws, we are stuck pretty much in our own solar system neighborhood.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,075 Times in 5,343 Posts

Quote:
I remember that episode. Apparently, we are delicious. A bit like pork .... Or so I've been told. 👽😱👽
So we dont taste like chicken?
Old 04-17-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
I love Star Trek. But it totally sidesteps the issues of faster than light travel and the issues with space/time when you approach the speed of light. A quick google search will verify this. Even at the speed of light, the closet star, Alpha Centauri, is 4.3 years away.

And this isn't an issue of developing better technology. It's physics. Unless you can figure out a way to suspend those laws, we are stuck pretty much in our own solar system neighborhood.
You’re letting an individual human being’s short lifespan affect forecasting of humanity’s long term (and I do mean lllloooooong term ) potential. There are no known limits…even considering all the speed-of-light and other ‘restrictive’ laws of physics.

Engage!
Old 04-17-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
You’re letting an individual human being’s short lifespan affect forecasting of humanity’s long term (and I do mean lllloooooong term ) potential. There are no known limits…even considering all the speed-of-light and other ‘restrictive’ laws of physics.

Engage!
Sorry. I'm "following the science". I hope I'm wrong. But I've seen nothing yet that makes me believe otherwise.

And the reality is, neither you or I will ever know. No chance anything close to light speed travel takes place in our lifetimes. I don't even know of anyone/organization working on it.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
You could be describing most any predatory species that live in groups, like lions, hyena, apes, orcas, etc. And man is not the only species that kills when it isn't necessary. (Seemingly for fun. Chasing down an animal, toying with it, then leaving the dead when it no longer provides entertainment. Cats, dogs, dolphins, apes, and more.)
But, we’re supposed to be smarter than animals?

Tags
villages, center, rec, club, everglades

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.