Villages Backgammon Club

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2022, 07:16 AM
Default Villages Backgammon Club

The Villages Backgammon Club is always looking for new members. Whether you're a beginner or an advanced player, you will fit right in. We host tournaments 3 days a week and naturally, simple head to head play is always available. If its backgammon you'd like to play, pictured is the days and times you can find us or contact us.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	card.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	94466  
Old 07-17-2022, 03:12 PM

Any thoughts of having games at Riverbend in Monarch Grove or at Everglades?
Old 07-18-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelswithD&K View Post
Any thoughts of having games at Riverbend in Monarch Grove or at Everglades?
I will look into the availability at those rec centers. Do you guys have a group that are looking to play, or is just you?
Old 07-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

I tried this club shortly after moving hear as I enjoy playing backgammon while talking to friends. This club is NOT about that. There is no talking, just very, very serious backgammon by some talented players who are happy to take your $10 entry fee away from you. If they come out with a "friendly" backgammon club, I might be up for that.

My wife plays a card game popular in Rust Belt states (Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.) called Euchre. There are several clubs for that game. Some are tournament-only with money (nothing huge) on the line, no talking and no tolerance for mediocre players. Fortunately, there are a few "friendly" clubs as well and she's hooked up with a couple of those.

With 3,100+ clubs in The Villages, there's something for nearly everybody!
Old 07-22-2022, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

JerryLBell
See if anyone would be interested in a casual club and start one. I would be interested. Used to play along time ago and enjoyed it.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:37 AM

Thank you for your negative feedback. As for your statement- "very serious backgammon by some talented players who are happy to take your $10 entry fee away from you". I'm almost positive that is a gross misrepresentation. You voluntarily entered a tournament and apparently lost. That's not "taking" your money. It's more like giving your money away. Not sure when you came to the club and formed your impression, but in the 2 years since I've been attending, I don't think I've had the pleasure to meet you. I'm the new president of the club. The way I see it, all of our members are friendly, especially the better players of the club who are always eager to help improve the game of less experienced players by not playing for money. We have a mix of players, some of who wish to play just for the fun of it and other players who enjoy a friendly wager, with both positions respected and encouraged equally. I am rated as an expert player, bordering on master level player. I'd like to personally invite you to give the club another try and see the changes that have been made. If you're interested, I'd also be willing to help improve your game if you're not already a better player than I am.

George Keller 347-881-7200
Old 07-27-2022, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKell35 View Post
Thank you for your negative feedback. As for your statement- "very serious backgammon by some talented players who are happy to take your $10 entry fee away from you". I'm almost positive that is a gross misrepresentation. You voluntarily entered a tournament and apparently lost. That's not "taking" your money. It's more like giving your money away. Not sure when you came to the club and formed your impression, but in the 2 years since I've been attending, I don't think I've had the pleasure to meet you. I'm the new president of the club. The way I see it, all of our members are friendly, especially the better players of the club who are always eager to help improve the game of less experienced players by not playing for money. We have a mix of players, some of who wish to play just for the fun of it and other players who enjoy a friendly wager, with both positions respected and encouraged equally. I am rated as an expert player, bordering on master level player. I'd like to personally invite you to give the club another try and see the changes that have been made. If you're interested, I'd also be willing to help improve your game if you're not already a better player than I am.

George Keller 347-881-7200
I'm sorry you interpreted my statement as a negative or that it inferred that I wasn't aware of the cost of entry. That was meant as a compliment for the skill level of the players I encountered (and they were certainly better than my mediocre abilities!). As far as the total emphasis at the time on tournament play and the lack of social talking during play, that was accurate reporting of my experience. Your club may well have evolved since then into welcoming players of lesser skill levels and I congratulate you on that. I appreciate your invitation and may take you up on that at some point though my other hobbies do tend to gobble up my time. Just too much to do in The Villages!
Old 07-28-2022, 11:45 AM

Thank you Jerry. I apologize for my misunderstanding. Hope to see you soon.
Closed Thread

Tags
backgammon, villages, days, head, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.