Villages New York Yankee Club forming.

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Granted, Mantle was the better home run hitter, but Joe had more rbi's even though he played almost 700 games less (that's more than 4 full seasons).
Joe Di lost 3 full seasons ('42-'45) to WWII, ages 28-30, all prime years
Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Sage

The new book on Mickey Mantle tells a version of how he would have easily caught that fly ball but it was understood the DiMaggio would not let anyone catch a ball that he could. Mick pulled off that catch and step into the drain ripping his knee up. If I remember right, Mick never said anything to DiMaggio but harbored unkind thoughts about him.

Remember when he caught his spike in the fence in Baltimore during the 61 season? He was ahead of Maris at that point in time.

Another book claims Mantle was out the night before drinking and he asked Stengel to sit the game out as he was not feeling well. Stengel asked him to pinch hit in the late inninings as the game was close or tied. Mantle went to the plate thinking, I am going to swing at the first pitch and then go back to the bench. He swung and hit a home run that led to him saying, "people just don't realize how hard this game is".

I would like to have had enough talent to be drunk and hit a home run.

He had the most raw talent of anyone I seen. If it wasn't for drinking and bad knees, who knows what kind on numbers he could have would up with. If only, he had taken care of himself.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
If I remember right, Mick never said anything to DiMaggio but harbored unkind thoughts about him.
When Mickey came up to the majors, he wore number 6. Maybe he changed to 7 to get a little space between himself and Dimaggio.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Tom, I am a huge Mickey Mantle fan and can fondly remember chasing batting practice home runs before the game in the old stadium and catching balls from Mantle and Maris. I remember meeting the Mick and marveling at the size of his neck! But Dimaggio struck out less in his whole career then Mick did in just 1958, 59 and 60. Granted, Mantle was the better home run hitter, but Joe had more rbi's even though he played almost 700 games less (that's more than 4 full seasons). And let's not forget the 56 game hitting streak. I guess we Yankee fans are blessed that we can debate the differences between two great ballplayers. One story told at the meeting was by a guy who said he never saw Joe start for a fly ball. No matter how he tried, Joe was already in motion whenever he looked.
I am not saying Joe D was not better than Mantle. They were both great but Mickey was my guy. The amazing stat about Joltin Joe was he hit 361 home runs and struck out only 367 times. And yes, in Yankee Stadium with death valley the 361 home runs would have been many more if Joe D were a switch hitter and could take advantage of the short porch (296) in right field.

We could talk all day about who was better and if you say Joe D was, you might be right. No argument here. But Mickey was my man.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
If it wasn't for drinking and bad knees, who knows what kind on numbers he could have would up with. If only, he had taken care of himself.
We can say the same about The Babe. And what if he hadn't wasted five years as a pitcher. Or had Ted Williams not served five years defending the country in two wars. I love one of Mickey's quotes when he said "if you added all his walk and strikeouts and divided the total by an average of 500 at bats per season he spent 7 years of his baseball career without hitting the ball."
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Default Yankee Fan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone in your club is interested I have 4 Yankee spring training tickets in Tampa to most of the Yankees spring training games. (I sell the games can not attend) Great seats section 203 FRONT Row.Selling at face value $35.00 Per seat. I will sell in pairs also . I would greatly appriciate if you could spread the word I just want to give fellow yankee fans a chance to see the Greatest Baseball team in the world play in a great stadium.
Call me Joe at 352 470 3166 Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default New York Yankee Club Meeting Monday March 26th

*** Location Change ****

Next Meeting - Monday March 26th
7PM
Allamanda Rec. Center!!!!

Yankee Fans.....Come join us!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.