High school student needs a computer

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoret View Post
KAMRUI compact mini desktops at Amazon, Ebay $150-170. Needs monitor extra, cables.
I believe the OP said the computer needs a discrete graphics card with at least 4GB of VRAM.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post
I am trying to help a student with his science project.
Can you tell me if there is somewhere that we could rent or borrow
Or buy a used one if not too expensive the following computer needs for him.

I am quoting his email because he’s the computer geek not me!

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you
Sorry this seems odd, what high school? And if they need it for school, why the higher lever graphics card?
Old 09-21-2023, 01:51 PM

I figured the specs were minimum requirements of the software and a more modern machine would work.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:52 PM

This might help a LITTLE>>>>>>

The Affordable Connectivity Program is an FCC benefit program that helps ensure that households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare and more.

The benefit provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands.

Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:59 PM
Default Graphics

Quote:

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you
The graphics card you described is more then the computer you are dexcribing would cost.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:10 PM
Default Computer

Quote:

I have a computer that I would give him. I’m out of town now but expect to return next week. I’m not 100% sure it meets all his requirements but I check it when I’m back home.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:

I sometimes see students doing homework on the computers in the Sumter Co. public library. Our libraries have banks of computers that can be used for free by anyone. You do not need a library card to walk in and use a computer. Has your friend spoken with a librarian about what might be available to him? I have always found our librarians to be very approachable and willing to assist; they are gems.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:32 AM
Default Computer

Quote:

We may have one to purchase. I am going to open it up tomorrow to see if it meets the requirements.
Old 09-23-2023, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Maryland View Post
I sometimes see students doing homework on the computers in the Sumter Co. public library. Our libraries have banks of computers that can be used for free by anyone. You do not need a library card to walk in and use a computer. Has your friend spoken with a librarian about what might be available to him? I have always found our librarians to be very approachable and willing to assist; they are gems.
You can't load up software to public computers. The OP's message was specific - it's for a certain software program for a certain project.

That requires not merely access to a computer, but possession of one. The students needs his own computer for this.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, asks, student, ram, graphics

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.