High school student needs a computer

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Default High school student needs a computer

I am trying to help a student with his science project.
Can you tell me if there is somewhere that we could rent or borrow
Or buy a used one if not too expensive the following computer needs for him.

I am quoting his email because he’s the computer geek not me!

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you
Old 09-20-2023, 03:45 PM

I assume he is looking for a desktop? And this may sound bad, but how do you know it is a legitimate request?
Old 09-20-2023, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post

According to the software I am planning to use, the requirements for simulations are any CPU that is "Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ or Athlon® 2000+ or faster, 64-bit (x64) processor",
It also asks for 8 gb of RAM (memory), for the graphics, it asks for "A dedicated NVIDIA GPU card", any NVIDIA cards after 2013 perhaps work.
The website also states that this graphics card (GPU) should have at least 4 gb RAM and recommended 8 gb.
Finally, for space it asks for a minimum 25 gb of storage in a hard drive, this is found in almost any computer by default.
Any amount of time to use this computer would be appreciated, an optimal time period would be about 2-4 months.

As you can see this is a dedicated student who needs support in finding the computer. Thank you
My knowledge of computers isn't expensive but as far as I know those specs are pretty old. The Pentium® 4 2.0 GHZ first hit the market in 2004.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:34 PM
Default Basic needs

This looks like a list of very basic computer needs for a system. Nothing fancy or state of the arts, just something to be able to handle the work, thtas why some of it is old or outdated.maybe someone has a system packed away and not using it anymore.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
I assume he is looking for a desktop? And this may sound bad, but how do you know it is a legitimate request?
Our country spends more money per student on education than almost any other country, and a high school student doesn't have a computer. Really? Why?
Old 09-20-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

My computer hard drives and memory cards get smashed with hammer anything I’ve done online in that computer somewhere. I will not risk chance of my information being exposed no matter how good the cause.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima72 View Post
This looks like a list of very basic computer needs for a system. Nothing fancy or state of the arts, just something to be able to handle the work, thtas why some of it is old or outdated.maybe someone has a system packed away and not using it anymore.
Plenty on eBay and any used electronics store.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:07 PM
Default High school student needs a computer

Try contacting one of the computer clubs (PC or Mac) in TV.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly top View Post

“I am quoting his email because he’s the computer geek not me!l”
This needs a little more explanation…………..
Old 09-20-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Our country spends more money per student on education than almost any other country, and a high school student doesn't have a computer. Really? Why?
When K-12 schools provide a dedicated computer to each student in the USA, they typically get a Chromebook because of lower initial cost and lower ongoing cost for IT support compared to alternatives such as a MacBook. Perhaps this student needs more than a Chromebook.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing1 View Post
Try contacting one of the computer clubs (PC or Mac) in TV.
This seems like the best solution in this case.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

What his e-mail is asking for, is what "students" were asking for in the late 2000-early 2010's online. He's basically asking for a machine that isn't even supported anymore by current operating systems. Unless he's planning on loading Linux in it, which is possible of course. But Win10 wouldn't work on it, and Win11 can't even be loaded on it.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:39 AM

Look at refurbished laptops at:
Newegg.com
Dell.com
Amazon.com
Old 09-21-2023, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My computer hard drives and memory cards get smashed with hammer ������ anything I’ve done online in that computer somewhere. I will not risk chance of my information being exposed no matter how good the cause.
Memory cards do not store data. As soon as the power goes off the memory card is erased.
Another choice is to convert the computer to use Linux. The hard drive is completely erased in the process and the computer can be used by someone else. Even old computers work like new with Linux.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:17 AM

There are computers to use for free at Sumter County public libraries.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, asks, student, ram, graphics

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.