alexa

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran member
Default alexa

I was going to buy my wife the alexa for xmas , until I found out you need the amazon service for $150 per month . are they crazy. I need one more $150 bill like I need a hole in my head. first the cell phone $150 , then the cable $150 , why is everything $150 ?? it will be cheaper if I buy her some diamond earrings.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran member

If you want to play around with the Alexa app to see what it can do get the Amazon Fire 7" from Best Buy for $30 I mentioned in an earlier thread today.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Sage

There is no fee associated with Alexa. If you have an Amazon account you can use her for ordering. If you have an Amazon Prime account, she is even better, but that type of account isn’t necessary. The fee for a Prime account is either monthly...$10.99/month or you can pay a yearly fee at a reduced rate...$99./year plus tax in either case. You do not need a prime acccount, but I use Amazon a lot and have had an account with them for eons.......so I opted for A Prime account sine I am a frequent shopper on that site.
I love my Alexas....have one in every room....she is a great alarm clock, timer, you can tell her what to put on your shopping list as you think of things you need and when you open the Alexa app on your smart phone, there is your list. You can make phone calls using Alexa, the are routed through your cell pnone, but in mid December another small device attached to Alexa, will connect her to you home land line. This will allow you to call 911 through Alexa using your voice and the 911 “switchboard” will show your home phone number an all the info associated with it to emergency services.
There’s music, audible books and so much more. It’s a gift she’ll enjoy I’m sure....and so will you!

Last edited by pooh; 11-23-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have Alexa up north and in TV. Not sure how $150 a month came from, but there are no fees for her. I have prime, which is $99 a year. Just 2 day shipped 12 things for holidays for free. We have zero alarm clocks just Alexa. Keeps my calendar, grocery list, appointments, plays music. When you are alone she is great company.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:52 AM
Sage

You can also get extra savings perks with Alexa. In addition, you can avoid the $25 minimum on certain purchases.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:12 AM

Not sure why you would need a fire pad to use Alexa. Works on just about any computer or cell phone. I have an Alexa of some sort in almost every room of the house. You can play music on each one or have them all play the same. I have mine controlling lights, TVs and thermostats. If you really utilize the full capabilities of Alexa she will make you a lazy guy.... as said above there are no monthly charges after the purchase. Get your wife one...she will love it.....
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 11-24-2017, 06:23 AM

Alexa sounds really cool, and I love tech, but I don't like the idea of the thing listening to everything going on in the house all the time. In every room? You do realize that it's always connected to the internet in order to "obey" you?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Default Connected to Internet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Alexa sounds really cool, and I love tech, but I don't like the idea of the thing listening to everything going on in the house all the time. In every room? You do realize that it's always connected to the internet in order to "obey" you?
Yes, I do. Is that something different than monitoring every transmission of your cell phone? If I should need to hold a personal, secret conversation in a room I can just reach over and turn the microphone off. Not to hyper about communications being stored on the Amazon server and if you are really worried about it you can delete your stored history!

But Alexa is not listening or recording every thing you say. Read this article

Relax: Your Amazon Echo Isn’t Recording Everything You Say – Variety

Last edited by seoulbrooks; 11-24-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Default Alexa

Not much out there for reliable home automation that does not connect to the internet in some form or fashion. But I do understand we all have choices to make........
Old 11-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Then get the Amazon Tap which requires the touch of a button to activate an Alexa command.
It can be configures to be in stand by if one prefers to do so.

The main feature of the Amazon Tap is it is 100% portable. Once fully charged take it anyplace where there is wifi/blue tooth. Charge lasts 7-10 hours.
Operates 100% like the wired Alexa products.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you're that worried, get the Tap. You have to push a button to talk to her, and it's portable/rechargeable so you can take it anywhere you want. No need for one in every room.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Personally - have no need for Alexa or any other assistance - at this time. Come the time I do, I will make arrangements for in-person assistance.

I'd prefer the diamond earrings or diamond anything!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Personally - have no need for Alexa or any other assistance - at this time. Come the time I do, I will make arrangements for in-person assistance.

I'd prefer the diamond earrings or diamond anything!
Clothes irons make good presents for wives.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Clothes irons make good presents for wives.
maybe a 9 iron , but not a clothes iron.......I like my face just the way it is
Old 11-24-2017, 11:57 AM

If you're going to get Alexa, it's on sale today at Amazon. We have both Alexa and Eco Dot. Love both of them!
Closed Thread

Tags
$150, alexa, buy, cable, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.