alexa

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Tap no longer requires you to tap the button; it responds to voice just like the Echo and dot.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblwyr View Post
Tap no longer requires you to tap the button; it responds to voice just like the Echo and dot.
It is programmable from the smart phone app to be one or the other.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Clothes irons make good presents for wives.
No one ever gifts me with anything that has a plug on it!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down No Privacy with Alexa

I bought the Alexa technology to remotely control the light switches to my outdoor floodlights, both front and rear, for security purposes. (You have to purchase specialized switches to do this.) Being in a wheelchair, I wanted to be able to quickly turn on the lights by voice command.

I have since availed myself of other conveniences of Alexa, especially local weather information and forecasts; playing of musical selections, and use as an alarm clock.

However, it is apparent that Alexa is always on and listening. This is especially apparent when it responds to something that it hears on the television set.

If you are one of those who believes that you must speak the "alerting word" (Alexa or Echo) to activate the unit (or press the microphone button on Tap), or that you can "erase" everything that has been stored, then I consider you a good candidate for the purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge or Solid Gold Bricks.

It is like using a Smart Phone; the more convenience you seek, the more privacy you voluntarily surrender. It is your choice.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I bought the Alexa technology to remotely control the light switches to my outdoor floodlights, both front and rear, for security purposes. (You have to purchase specialized switches to do this.) Being in a wheelchair, I wanted to be able to quickly turn on the lights by voice command.

I have since availed myself of other conveniences of Alexa, especially local weather information and forecasts; playing of musical selections, and use as an alarm clock.

However, it is apparent that Alexa is always on and listening. This is especially apparent when it responds to something that it hears on the television set.

If you are one of those who believes that you must speak the "alerting word" (Alexa or Echo) to activate the unit (or press the microphone button on Tap), or that you can "erase" everything that has been stored, then I consider you a good candidate for the purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge or Solid Gold Bricks.

It is like using a Smart Phone; the more convenience you seek, the more privacy you voluntarily surrender. It is your choice.
Nice reply, now you know why I will never have anything in my house this is watching (some TV sets, any laptop, etc.), or listening to me.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I just bought the one that looks like a Hockey Puck. It will keep the other larger Alexa company. We find it very helpful and they come out with new things for Alexa to try each month. Jeopardy is fun, weather is convenient, and occasionally I get a bit of an attitude from Alexa. I cave in all the time and just say yes dear. It has worked for me in the past. I also just ordered several of the devices to control lamps. I'll report back soon, sounds easy to set up.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

If I were physically challenged I could see getting something that does everything for me without leaving my chair, but at this age staying as active as possible (yes, even if that means getting up and going over to throw a light switch)...makes more sense to me.

Not to even mention the very good point Villagetinker made, about having one more electronic device...lessening your privacy.

Flamesuit on!
Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Platinum member

Someone with one of these, please ask it if the FBI is listening ?

And let us know what I says.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Default Uses for Alexa

I have three Amazon dots in my house. One connected via Bluetooth to a speaker for music.
I use them for:
1.Controlling lights inside and outside my house. If I am in another room and hear a sound on the lanai, I request that she turn on the light there. If I am coming home after dark, I can turn on the lights from an app on my phone, or ask Alexa to turn them on as I walk thru the door.
Houseguests don’t have to search for room lights, especially the bathroom light at night. They just ask Alexa.

2. From any place in the house I can ask her to add an item to my shopping list and it appears on my phone's shopping list. Handy when you run out of shampoo.

3. My neighbors have access to my house and will ( almost daily) take my dog for a golf cart ride or a walk. They can ask Alexa if the dog is hungry and she will tell them when the dog was last fed. Of course, when I feed the dog, I mention it to Alexa. The dog does not like Alexa - no more “extra meals”.

4. I love the aroma of fresh coffee in the morning. When I wake up, I ask Alexa to turn on the coffee pot. I prepare it the night before. Everyone needs a little pampering.

5. From anywhere in the house, if an emergency occurs, I do not have to even pick up a phone. I just tell Alexa to alert up to five people and she will instantly notify them by text, email and auto phone call that I need assistance now. No extra charge for this service...it is a free app.

6. If I want to check on an order from Amazon, I say “where’s my stuff?” And she tells me.

7. I use her as a free WiFi phone. I just ask her to call a friend who also has an Alexa device and I can talk to them without touching a phone. I can also leave a message- their Alexa will flash a different color so they know that there is a message.

8. She is much better at math and spelling than I could ever be.
Most of my lights are on "smart plugs". Easy to program.

She is great as a kitchen time, alarm clock and will read a book to you as you cook.
I am sure everyone uses her differently. At the current special of $29, it is a fantastic deal.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool It is Great

I really enjoy Alexa. I was having a problem as for some reason it said it was not hooked to the Internet. This could have been interrupted because of the storm. I just unplugged it, re plugged it in, it automatically connected to the internet and it was back with music, weather, etc.
We have come a long way from when we sat in front of the large floor radio, turning the dials trying to get The Green
Hornet or Mr District Attorney,etc. They use to scare the heck out of us but they were fun!!!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Someone with one of these, please ask it if the FBI is listening ?

And let us know what I says.
No problemo, first I asked Alexa what FBI stands for and I expected something different than the answer she gave. She said FBI = Forever Bothering Italians and that she was going to take the fifth?? She said they are not listening but I heard a clicking noise.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Sage

Question.....I use Alexa to control lamps in all rooms....via TP-Link smart plugs, Weemo smart plugs. Bought a TP-Link switch to control light over my kitchen sink. Did a great job, however, the switch would not fit back into the junction box (assume that’s the right term.). Those of you who use wi-fi switches with Alexa...what brand did you buy?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran member

Sounds like something I need to try. I have Amazon prime and to me it is worth every penny
Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Platinum member
Smile Wemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Question.....I use Alexa to control lamps in all rooms....via TP-Link smart plugs, Weemo smart plugs. Bought a TP-Link switch to control light over my kitchen sink. Did a great job, however, the switch would not fit back into the junction box (assume that’s the right term.). Those of you who use wi-fi switches with Alexa...what brand did you buy?
I used Wemo for my outdoor lights, which are not capable of being dimmed. Did you use TP-link to get dimming feature?

My Wemo was an exact replacement; tight but it could all be gotten the box.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

7. I use her as a free WiFi phone. I just ask her to call a friend who also has an Alexa device and I can talk to them without touching a phone. I can also leave a message- their Alexa will flash a different color so they know that there is a message.

I use my Echo Dot (Alexa) to call internationally, free.
Closed Thread

Tags
$150, alexa, buy, cable, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.