Android Apps that Rock!

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Hawkwind.... Can you provide us the benefits of rooting and over/under clocking an Android phone? I unlocked my iPhone, but that was to use programs outside the Apple App Store, as well as use a different carrier. Now I have the Droid X, but have not been tempted to root...yet

Thanks....
Mike
There are pluses and minuses to under clocking / overclocking the phone. If you over clock it things will run faster up to the limits of the connection to the network. You can make it really fast but the minuses are it reduces the battery charge. Now the same is true for under clocking in that you can reduce the processor speed to extend the battery charge life.

Say for example you forgot to charge the phone last night and were at the airport and needed to check on your flight. You had done that yesterday so a lot of things are cached. You see that your battery is low so you change the setting to get your information and off you go. Same goes if you charger the phone full last night and now have to check or change your flight in a hurry. Kick up the clock speed and you get the job completed quicker.

One thing I feel that may happen in overclocking is that the battery / phone will get warm. It will also allow you to load programs onto the SD card and install them from there. There are a lot of programs out there and I have not even begun to look outside the apps stores.

I am not 100% sold on rooting yet as I have not found something that I had to have. If you go on YouTube and do a couple of phone searches there are all kinds of videos on rooting and apps review. I spent waaaay toooooo much time last night following the links. Always something to play with and hack into.

Hope that helps just a little.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
I can't decide if I should go with android, iPhone or Blackberry. I have such a mixed bag....work I use a PC, home I use a Macbook, work issues me a Blackberry and I have an old LG cell phone. I need a new smartphone and want something user-friendly. Would love to hear recommendations.
I wanted a smart phone just to get on the internet as I make very few calls. I also had a phone number that has been in the family since the 50's and wanted to keep it. I purchased a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V at Radio Shack for $149.95 as Virgin is out of the phones and have been for almost a month now. Also signed up for a $25.00 per month plan that gives me 300 minutes that I will never use up and this is what I was paying for the land line service. This is a no contract plan and gives unlimited text, e-mail, data and web, and they were able to port the phone number over from AT&T land line to the Virgin cell.

I think if I was to buy a contracted service phone I would look at the Droid X over the iPhone but that is just me. It would all depend on what you really want to do with the phone and how much do you use it. Most smart phones are user friendly but there is a little learning curve to them especially if you have one with the on screen touch keyboards. I have found that the hardest thing to get use to.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Thank you Hawkwind for your thoughts. Very helpful.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Android is now really very growing OS in the recent time...! Every mobile is now always connected with the android OS..! It is really very nice and great OS..!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.