Android Phone Settings

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2022, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Yes. Simple to do so. Check the settings. I rarely get spam anymore. Major carriers are supposed to have spam filters. Check to see if they are enabled

Again, give your contacts a special ringtone. You can ignore all other calls with default ringtone . Easiest solution. I don’t look at my phone when the default tone plays
My carrier is Xfinity Mobile. They have a spam blocker called "Hiya" and it is turned on. It seemed to work well for about a week, but after that, I started getting the same spam calls.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My carrier is Xfinity Mobile. They have a spam blocker called "Hiya" and it is turned on. It seemed to work well for about a week, but after that, I started getting the same spam calls.
Same result for Hiya. Ditched when it became a paid app,

Xfinity Voice Spam Blocker Overview - Xfinity Support

If it’s bad enough change the phone number. I once got a number and was instantly bombarded. Changed it immediately
Old 07-08-2022, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

Two separate tips, first if you do use a call blocker, many medical doctors can not call you back as they use multiple lines and numbers.
Secondly as somebody suggested never give out your real phone number on the web, I usually use 1-800-555-1212.
Good luck I used several call blockers and I'm not getting any calls now from car guarantee or warranty or credit card companies
Old 07-08-2022, 01:14 PM

Consider installing "Should I Answer?" (the Green Octopus). A free App which traps calls both incoming and outgoing before answering or sending. It notifies you if there is an issue with the call. Members report numbers to the collective. As soon as one member flags a number all of the other members of the collective are warned about a troublesome number. The telemarketers only get to use a number once, after which "Should I Answer?" members are advised of the negative nature of a troublesome phone number. I have used it for years and phishing/spam has dropped to near zero. "Should I answer?" for cell phones is very similar to "NoMoRobo" for landlines; both fight against the dreaded telemarketer.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was getting about 10 to 12 telemarketing calls every day even with my spam blocker turned on. So, I turned on the "Do Not Disturb" feature and set my exceptions to accept only calls from numbers on my contacts list. The only problem is that, when I have an incoming call, I can no longer see who is calling. I have tried every setting I can think of and nothing has worked. Is there a setting to enable the caller ID feature when the "do not disturb" feature is turned on? Thanks.
I do the same Do Not Disturb except for contacts and for the same reason as you. However, my phone does show contacts' names on incoming calls, so that feature does exist. I looked around, but couldn't find a setting that seemed to toggle that ability. I'd suggest asking your provider. This method works well for me. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2022, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareschb View Post
I do the same Do Not Disturb except for contacts and for the same reason as you. However, my phone does show contacts' names on incoming calls, so that feature does exist. I looked around, but couldn't find a setting that seemed to toggle that ability. I'd suggest asking your provider. This method works well for me. Good luck!
Thanks. I solved the problem. When you turn ON the "Do Not Disturb" setting, you also need to turn OFF the setting, "hide full screen notifications when the screen is off". This will enable the caller ID feature to work.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Closed Thread

Tags
feature, turned, setting, disturb, calls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.