Anti-Virus Opinions Needed

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
We use AVG free works great
And again, it is free ! Been using it for years along with Comodo firewall (also free) Both are highly rated and work great.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

After using McCaffe for a few years, I dropped them when they started charging me to renew my account without my permission (they were using "opt out" vs. "opt in"). On the advice of our local computer store I switched to AVG. It is free and I think it works better than Mccaffe.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Default Computer protection

Norton is free from comcast. but is a bit of a memory hog -- Thus, I use AVAST free version and SuperAntispyware free version -- Both are easy and free if you reregister each year on AVAST -- I quit paying for protection four years ago, and NO PROBLEMS !!!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Sage
Default Shout Out to Hawkwind

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice. I tech at work had suggested a program called "avira", that was rated third for free antivirus protection. I tried to load the free version and it kept telling me it was free but I needed to subcribe to something as the vendor would pay the fee.

I especially want to thank Hawkwind as he suggested I use MS Security Essentials with Malwarebytes and Antisuperspy software. I loaded all three programs this morning. Performed scans with no errors detected. MS Essential was rated the fifth best free software and all three programs were free.

I will perform my scan weekly to ensure there are no viruses, etc.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Sage

I've been using AVG (free) for 2 years and no problems. Also use Malwarebytes (also free)
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Veteran member

I've used Norton and Mc Afee and both were fine. I've now been using Panda for several years and like that even more. While I've never tried it, I'm told Kaspersky is also excellent.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage

Like jblum, I've been using AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for a few years and it's served me well. I also use Ad Aware Free from Lavasoft as well:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Bill
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Gold member
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Like jblum, I've been using AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for a few years and it's served me well. I also use Ad Aware Free from Lavasoft as well:

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Bill
I would add Malwarebytes Antimalware and Spyware Blaster both FREE.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Unfortunately, there is no "best" A/V software. What is best one day is outperformed by another package a month later. If you look at the reviews carefully, you will see that even the best programs do not detect and kill 100% of the risks 100% of the time. I suggest that you do two things:
  1. run a good A/V program dynamically (checking stuff all the time)
  2. run a manual program once every two weeks or so as that 2nd step that just might catch something.
How do you find a good A/V program and should you pay or go with free software. Personally, I recommend that people run one of the better fee-based programs like Norton Internet Security, but lots of people run free A/V programs (like AVG, Avira or AVAST) and rely on the built in firewall provided by MS. Why Norton? Norton is always in the top 2 or 3 (based on reviews conducted by real computer folks). It was slow in the past but has gotten better.
I also recommend that you download Malwarebytes (the free version) and run it every two weeks or so.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Default Malware bytes anti-malware - free version

Malware bytes has a free version that I like a lot. Comcast will give you the latest and greatest Norton for free. IMHO malware bytes stops them from coming in the fastest!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren L Miller View Post
Malware bytes has a free version that I like a lot. Comcast will give you the latest and greatest Norton for free. IMHO malware bytes stops them from coming in the fastest!
I'm not sure that Malwarebytes offers any "real time" protection unless you buy the "pay" version. In other words, if you are using the free version you have to update it manually and run scans yourself. It is not going to protect you from threats "coming in" but may find them if you do a scan. It does no good to install this free program on a computer unless the user updates it and manually scans with it. I am using Norton Internet Security, free through Comcast, and it has worked flawlessly, blocking and catching threats. I know because I see the notices and logs. Malwarebytes is a good back-up program and the free version doesn't interfere with my internet security program. If you have Vista or Windows 7 you also have Windows Defender installed. This program primarily works to prevent and remove spyware and popups. It may be turned off if you have other antvirus/antispyware programs in use. Scanning with Malwarebytes rarely finds anything except a few cookies, and I think this tells me that Norton is doing an outstanding job of protecting my computer.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Sage

I've been using AVG (free) for 3 years. Very satisfied.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I Used to use AVG but it has changed.

I now use Avast which I hear is quite good. It is also quite free. But, what do I know?

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Gold member
Default A link from an earlier post

I found to be very helpful..
http://realsecurity.web.officelive.c...vemalware.aspx
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Eternal Member

I started out with Norton many years ago and I saw its performance go up and down. Also, the support was not there. A couple of years ago I switched to the "free" MacAfee from Comcast. The free one is not as good as the purchased one. I then tried the free AVG and it had limitations. I went back to Norton Internet Security on both of my PCs and am very happy with the resources it uses, the reports I get, and the job it does. Yes it does cost but I sleep better.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.