Anyone having problems with Comcast High Speed Internet?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Sage
Default May be indirectly related to weather....

It is possible that cold or inclement weather might have an indirect effect on Comcast speed.

Comcast service is "hard-wired" from their network center to your home through other shared network lines. The communications network from TV to Comcast servers has a capacity. We all share that capacity/bandwidth. If more people than normal are using their Comcast internet (during cold or bad weather) then each of us gets a smaller slice of the bandwidth pie and slower response time. This is such a densely populated area and it appears, from what others have posted, that Comcast has not built a leading edge technology network here....so, response times vary.

I sure wish we had a reliable, reasonably priced, high speed alternative to Comcast and Embarq/DSL. By the way, DSL users don't usually see the same variations in response time as Comcast since each household has its own dedicated line.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 PM
rekop

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstatepc View Post
Do you have more than one antivirus program installed?
No, we just have AVG anti-virus. I did re-install internet explorer Version 7, and the problem seems better, although not perfect; and for some reason the surfing speed seems a little slower.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Large temperature swings can affect physical connections. Cold temperatures will shrink materials, making gaps appear between 2 objects, in this case the cable and what it's screwed into. hot temperatures will expand materials, shrinking gaps between objects. The problem connection would have to be located above ground, outside. possibly in a termination box on the side of the house, or in a distribution box located on a street corner.

Just a thought, Is anyone affected located in the area hit by the tornado?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
OK computer experts, does the weather affect Comcast reception?

Some days my reception is normal high speed, and some days it is deadly slow, similar to Cassie. Yet GMoney seems to have no problems.

If it is a connection problem, it wouldn't be intermittent, would it?
Maybe it is a CYV issue?? At the apartment (outside TV's) I have not had any issues....but when I arrive to the Villa on a cold morning...well we have NOTHING!!!

I know this sounds very fascicious....and while it is...perhaps there is something to it....

G...do you live in a CYV?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Another possibility of sporadic slowdown could be your AV/Spyware and/or whatever maintenance programs you have automatically scheduled to run at certain times of the day. When these programs are running in the background, I find that my 'puter runs much slower.

Another slowdown is of course when the peak usage times of the day, one can notice the drag. Similar to peak traffic times when commuting via auto can slow you big time, huh? Guess most of us retirees no longer have to deal with the peak traffic of commuting to work, thank goodness!!

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 11-22-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I sure wish we had a reliable, reasonably priced, high speed alternative to Comcast and Embarq/DSL. By the way, DSL users don't usually see the same variations in response time as Comcast since each household has its own dedicated line.
For some, there is an alternative, WebKraft. it is a wireless ISP. it works off of the same technology that your typical wireless home router uses, only it is engineered to a higher standard. I had them for 2 years and had no complaints about the service.
The reason I say "for some" is that the tower that services this area is located in Spruce Creek South. so you would have to be able to "see" the tower from your house or roof.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good explanation V07, I have the slow comcast connection and it's fine for me since I'm not a huge user of internet here in TV (different story when we were in Michigan in the winter), I never noticed a variance based on the temperature. Doesn't comcast have a high speed option here??...GN
Old 11-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
It is possible that cold or inclement weather might have an indirect effect on Comcast speed.

Comcast service is "hard-wired" from their network center to your home through other shared network lines. The communications network from TV to Comcast servers has a capacity. We all share that capacity/bandwidth. If more people than normal are using their Comcast internet (during cold or bad weather) then each of us gets a smaller slice of the bandwidth pie and slower response time. This is such a densely populated area and it appears, from what others have posted, that Comcast has not built a leading edge technology network here....so, response times vary.

Seven, that is good info, as always. It stands to reason that more of us are on the computer when it is cold. Midstatepc has also pointed out that cold weather can shrink materials and connections. So I guess it isn't our imagination.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Sage

It was warmer today, yet I had huge delays this morning. Tonight Comcast is working well for me.

I'd like to hear from other high-speed users .. is your service dependable?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
It was warmer today, yet I had huge delays this morning. Tonight Comcast is working well for me.

I'd like to hear from other high-speed users .. is your service dependable?
Comcast just left the house. He checked several things and found that we actually had an old splitter hidden in the "attic" that was not found the last time someone was out here. He said it was bad and he replaced it. When we had the conversation about service being out when it is really cold...he said essentially what 07 said!

"When it is really cold in the morning there are more people using their computers instead of heading outside."

I still have my doubts, but I do think it is suppose to be VERY cold tomorrow morning so we will see.....hopefully the splitter issue was the root of our issues....

He thought it really was a "coincidence" that when it is called we had no service...

I will let you know the next cold morning...

Suzy Toronto
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Platinum member

This morning it was just about 40 degrees when we got to the villa....internet was working!!! THEN....around 8:30 the Comcast Tech called to make sure it was working!! WOW! That was great! We now have his cell phone number and he stated that the next time it is really cold and the internet doesn't work, we can call him!!

Now that is customer service...and he has renewed my faith in Comcast!!

Suzy Toronto
Old 11-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Veteran member

Interesting thread.
I'm sorry, but I had to smirk when I read about the "cold weather". I have comcast TV in the Florida house, but up here in NY we have Roadrunner. I just got in from snowblowing the driveway, and we have not seen 50 degrees in weeks...it is currently 28 degrees here.
My Roadrunner is always fast, and always works. When we do retire down there to the Florida home, I hope I have some good internet options.....

Frank D.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
Interesting thread.
I'm sorry, but I had to smirk when I read about the "cold weather". I have comcast TV in the Florida house, but up here in NY we have Roadrunner. I just got in from snowblowing the driveway, and we have not seen 50 degrees in weeks...it is currently 28 degrees here.
My Roadrunner is always fast, and always works. When we do retire down there to the Florida home, I hope I have some good internet options.....

Frank D.
Frank....this is the ONLY reason why I miss Rochacha!!!

No matter what the weather is like....Roadrunner always worked and seemes to be the best!!

Suzy Toronto
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.