Beware of Rogue Virus program

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
Thank goodness for this thread and to gongoozler for the specific instructions on how to restore. Yesterday I got a pop up that had the McAfee icon saying "windows detected a virus...." and advised to purchase spyware removal tool by clicking on a YES button. I thought I hit the "X" button to close the pop up but must have hit "NO" instead and ended up getting an attack on my computer which disabled McAfee, could not get to to the internet or any of my local files, repeatedly got the annoying msg to purchase the tool which I knew was a total scam. Thankfully I was able to do my research from another computer, then thought of checking TOTV and sure enough, followed gongoozler steps and I am now safely back in business!!! And the restore didn't touch my documents. I did reboot using safe mode earlier but hadn't thought of the restore, so thanks a million for saving me "dinero"!
I had a same virus, booted in safe mode (f8) and did a system restore. No more virus.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM

How do you start up in Safe Mode? Then how do you do actuate a system restore.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.