Can one still get Windows 7 when buying a new computer?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
My computer with Windows Vista died last year. My b-i-l encouraged me to get an Acer Aspire with Windows 7. I bought mine at Amazon. When I sign on I get a pop-up window to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I mainly play games, shop, do Facebook and email. I'm happy with 7.
KittyKat, I've been turning down upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.something for quite a long time now..............Then a few days ago they gave me no choice and did it without my permission. No problems so far.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
W7 is a good operating system but it won't be much longer and the support will go away. In addition, applications developers are focused on W10 and upgrades or new programs for W7 have started to diminish and will disappear. W10 is good alternative because it can run similar to W7. I do believe a previous poster said it correctly, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks but unfortunately, technology moves on. The good news is that the only ones that are impacted are those that don't stay current, and that doesn't impact anyone else. Of course there is always Apple
How much longer will there be support? I have it on 2 of our three computers and hubby has no desire to change.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:05 PM

Microsoft states that Win 7 will not longer be supported after 2020.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
I used to be a techie but don't keep up with all the latest changes. With that being said, I am still reluctant to upgrade my Windows version, but realize that I will have to bite the bullet and a learning curve will ensue.

Most people resist having to learn something new but Microsoft is calling the shots as usual, and we don't have much choice, after awhile.

When I was in the field, people learned the learning curve wasn't the worst thing in the world.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks it is nice to know I have 4 years to think about it. I have windows 8.1 on one computer and 7 on the other two. Is windows 10 similar to 8.1 or have they incorporated some of the old windows 7 features?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Sage

Just two cents from the peanut gallery and long time geek...

Bite the bullet and go to Windows 10. Yes, there is a learning curve. But once you've learned...and you will, sooner than you think with a little effort...you'll have the best of both worlds.

Win 10 does a good job of looking like 7 if you want it too. But 10 allows so much more flexibility to make you PC look and feel exactly like you want it to. Quick boot ups. Better performance. Simple apps to do almost anything without the complexities of full-blown application installations.

Different? Absolutely. And 'different' can be a real pain for a while...been there! But the key phrase is 'for a while'. With a little effort, it will be a fairly short while. Then it's all good.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I also delayed on the upgrade on my W7 PC for several months, then I went ahead. The good news, the upgrade went very smoothly, I have my OLD desktop, all of my favorites, and most of my software continued to work. Had to reinstall may scanner software, and had to get their tech support to make the upgrade work. Also, W10 DOES NOT HAVE DVD support built in. Since I had the premium version of W7, my downloaded version had a DVD player, which is JUNK. I am looking for another one.

I agree there is a learning curve, but with the help button, I have found everything I need, including the old DOS command line!! (which I still use occasionally).

OP, IMHO, get a new PC with W10, and go to one of the computer clubs, get the basics, and you will be good to go.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
KittyKat, I've been turning down upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.something for quite a long time now..............Then a few days ago they gave me no choice and did it without my permission. No problems so far.
I keep getting a notice for a free download for Windows 10 and have ignored it so far. So you caught my attention when you said "they "gave me no choice and did ït"without my permission. Who is "they"and what is "ït" they did?.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Heck window 7 might last longer than me
Old 04-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I keep getting a notice for a free download for Windows 10 and have ignored it so far. So you caught my attention when you said "they "gave me no choice and did ït"without my permission. Who is "they"and what is "ït" they did?.
Microsoft, had a news release (or something similar) 1-2 months ago, indicating they were going to "force" the upgrade to user. There were some exceptions for enterprise users. So, when that came out is when I decided to do the upgrade on my terms. First, backup your hard drive, second backup your hard drive, then and only then start the upgrade. You might want to make sure you have 2-3 HOURS, this can take a while. There are several reboots, and as I recall no user intervention.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Chromebook is excellent. But update schupdate. If you want long term excellent use of a computer instead of updating and repairing and viruses then bite the bullet and buy a Mac.
You will be happy you did. You can will the Mac to your great grandchildren. I did.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Sage

Wondered how long before the 'go Mac' angle would come up. Just sent my newly purchased Mac laptop back and went with a Windows 10 laptop.

Mac's are fine. I'm not bashing. I purchased it just for the geekness...experience both worlds. Keeping all my stuff in one system made me reconsider.

But I saw nothing in the Mac that Windows can't provide...longtime satisfied Windows user here.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=rubicon;1208057 So you caught my attention when you said "they "gave me no choice and did ït"without my permission. Who is "they"and what is "ït" they did?.[/QUOTE]

"They" is Microsoft and they upgraded me to Windows 10 right in the middle of whatever I was doing. I guess Microsoft got tired of me declining an upgrade so they decided to do it anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:28 PM

At the end of July 2016 the free upgrade will stop.You will have to buy Win 10 after that if you need to upgrade.Win 10 does not need a antivirus it has Windows Defender.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
...Win 10 does not need a antivirus it has Windows Defender.
A little duplication in the virus protection arena can be a good thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, option, sister, computer, buying, top, lap

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.