Can one still get Windows 7 when buying a new computer?

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Microsoft, had a news release (or something similar) 1-2 months ago, indicating they were going to "force" the upgrade to user. There were some exceptions for enterprise users. So, when that came out is when I decided to do the upgrade on my terms. First, backup your hard drive, second backup your hard drive, then and only then start the upgrade. You might want to make sure you have 2-3 HOURS, this can take a while. There are several reboots, and as I recall no user intervention.
Hope this helps.
Actually what they did was promote the Win10 upgrade to a "recommended" update. So, if you had previously set Windows Update to take both critical and recommended updates, you got Windows 10 soon thereafter (but only if Microsoft's system checker concluded your PC had what it takes to run it). A fine point perhaps, but it wasn't technically forced. You always had the option to only take critical updates.

For what its worth, while there is a bit of a learning curve with Windows 10, there are options you can use to configure it to resemble Windows 7 very closely. That said, if you don't have Windows 10 yet and are certain you never want it, you can download the "Never10" tool at https://www.grc.com/never10.htm and run it. Or go to the upcoming Villages Computer Plus meeting where this topic will be being discussed at length.

Regarding your DVD issue, perhaps have a look at the VLC player. If I recall correctly, it can play DVD's. It is sort of a Swiss Army knife type tool for all things video.
--
Bob C
Old 04-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,382 Times in 2,325 Posts

Rexxfan,

Good clarification, and thanks for the tip on the DVD player, I will check it out.

VT
Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM

Win10 boots and closes much faster than Win7. It is less memory intensive and has a smaller system "footprint" because it no longer uses the "aero glass" interface that was supposed to give Win7 a sort of 3-D look. The one caveat I'd pass on is this: Win10 by default sends all kinds of tracking info back to Microsoft. When you first set it up, though, you can turn off the permissions for this intrusion. I did.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio45 View Post
Win10 boots and closes much faster than Win7. It is less memory intensive and has a smaller system "footprint" because it no longer uses the "aero glass" interface that was supposed to give Win7 a sort of 3-D look. The one caveat I'd pass on is this: Win10 by default sends all kinds of tracking info back to Microsoft. When you first set it up, though, you can turn off the permissions for this intrusion. I did.
For what its worth, the "tracking information" supposedly does not contain personally identifiable information, just telemetry intended to help Microsoft improve the system (e.g. performance, memory usage, information about crashes, etc.).
--
Bob C
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
I upgraded from 7 to 10 and I could not locate any of my desktop homepage icons nor the tray icons. Also could not find my bookmarks aka favorites list. Luckliy on the install win10 has a go back to previous version by using the Start ball in the left bottom of screen, then typing update then recovery. How is this better? Hard for an old dog to learn a new program. So many improvements just seem like repackaging, and forcing us to upgrade. Guess im not alone, Bill
I understand you've gone back to Windows 7, and that's fine. Use what you're comfortable with. I just wanted to point out a few things that might help someone else confronted with the same issues you raised.

Regarding the missing tray icons, they're not missing. Rather they are all grouped together in a menu that you can popup by clicking the caret symbol (It looks like this: ^) to the right hand side of your taskbar. When you click that, a small window pops up and shows you all the tray icons. If you want them always displayed rather than tucked away like this, there's a setting for that. To get to it, click the start menu button and type "Settings" (or press the Windows Key and I at the same time). Then click "System", then "Notifications and Actions" and finally "Select which icons appear on the taskbar". Change the "Always show all icons in the notification area" setting from Off to On. That will restore all the tray icons.

Regarding the favorites issue, see the article here Find missing favorites in File Explorer - Windows Help -.

I'm not sure what the problem with your "desktop homepage" icons might be, I think I'd have had to see it in person, but since you've reverted to Windows 7 its a moot point.

I hope this helps someone.
--
Bob C
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Sage

Rexxfan.......Your info is really appreciated here. My only problem with Windows 10 now that they have installed it for me is I can't figure how to "sign off" or "switch users". I have to first close down or go to sleep then reopen under a different user. I would appreciate your help.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Rexxfan.......Your info is really appreciated here. My only problem with Windows 10 now that they have installed it for me is I can't figure how to "sign off" or "switch users". I have to first close down or go to sleep then reopen under a different user. I would appreciate your help.
When you click on the Start Button, you should see a 3-bar icon on the top left. You click on that and you should see your user icon. Then click on that and you'll get the options you're looking for.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Gold member

I right click the start button and found that the easiest way to sign out. It's also easier to get to your different commands.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Click the start button. Then click your account picture.
--
Bob C
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I right click the start button and found that the easiest way to sign out. It's also easier to get to your different commands.
That works as well, but exposes an advanced menu that may not be the best thing for less-technically-inclined folk to go noodling around with ;-)
--
Bob C
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

I assume the only downside to staying with W7 is some future programs may not work.

But if one only does email, researching with existing browsers, no gaming, no movie downloads......evrything else is done via iPhone or iPad.

Am I missing any other potential downside(s)?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

The downside would be that eventually they will stop supporting 7 with updates and security patches. Then the computer would be vulnerable to viruses.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Gold member

One of the downfalls I found was my printer that worked well with vista and windows 7 was not comparable with windows 10. I work with PSP7 (a paint shop program) which came out about 14 years ago and that does work with windows 10, which made me a happy camper.

Last edited by obxgal; 04-07-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The downside would be that eventually they will stop supporting 7 with updates and security patches. Then the computer would be vulnerable to viruses.
Right, and that happens sometime in 2020.
--
Bob C
Old 04-09-2016, 05:33 AM

W10 has been out since July and most everyone is satisfied with it. Remember all new programs are / will be written for W10 compatibility, security updates and bug fixes will be written around W10, new hardware will be developed with W10 compatibility, like it or not, you're going to have to go to W10 eventually! The good part is that if you have 7 or a version of 8, it's free until late July and since you will eventually be forced to do it anyway, my recommendation, FWIW, is just do it, Besides, it works!
Closed Thread

Tags
windows, option, sister, computer, buying, top, lap

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.