CenturyLink modem replacement

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Default CenturyLink modem replacement

Rather than pay CenturyLink $3.73 rental each month for their modem I decided to buy my own DSL modem. I got a NetGear DM111PSP from Best Buy which stated on the box that it worked with CenturyLink DSL.

I have followed all of the instructions for automatic set-up (including disabling firewalls etc.) and the "genie" reported that I have a static IP address and need to put in loads of figures.

I called CenturyLink and they said I have a dynamic IP address and that the new modem should be able to find everything it needs automatically.

I ran the automatic install again, with the same result, then did a factory-reset of the modem and tried a manual install. This was unable to find a DSL connection, after 30 minutes of searching.

The "genie" has confirmed that my cabling is correct (as soon as I replace the NetGear modem with the CenturyLink one my internet works again) and while using the NetGear modem I can connect to http://www.routerlogin.net but to no other website (nor my e-mail, and MagicJack doesn't work).

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience, and found a solution.

I have called NetGear's support desk, but they couldn't resolve the issue and have neither called me back nor answered my e-mails since Friday.

Thank you
Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Not sure I can be a lot of help but I experienced a somewhat similiar problem a while ago when I brought a modem I had from my ATT internet provider in So. Florida and hooked it up to the new Century Link service that I signed up for in the Villages. Seems that different modems have different ID numbers and and once Century Link coordinated my modem ID with their equipment then I was good to go. They walked me through the procedure over the phone and all has been well since. I believe that Century Link support is the right place to be at this point and although I'm not technically qualified to answer your specific questions, I believe my similiar experience warrants a call back to Century Link. Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Thank you, K&A

CenturyLink have certainly been more responsive than NetGear to date, so no harm in my giving them another call.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran member

NetGear's crummy tech support -- none a year after purchase -- is what led me a couple of years ago to lease the Centruy Link wireless router. It's low-cost and will be replaced free (forever) if it ever craps out. Call me a satisfied customer.

Last edited by saratogaman; 02-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Try these setting. You need to set them manually. They work fine for my Netgear modem.

Basic settings:
1. No
2. Blank
3. Get dynamically fron ISP
4. Get automatically from ISP
5. Enabled
6. Use default address

ADSL Settings
1. LLC - Based
2. VPI 8
3. VCI 35

They should work. If not, the problem is on CenturyLink's end. I had to speak to three different people at CenturyLink to get mine to work. The last guy I spoke to found the problem and had the CenturyLink tech on site do an "engineering patch" to get mine to work. The first two people that I spoke with were totally worthless. I hope this hepls.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran member

hey - bottom line is that they want to rent a modem to you.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Thank you everyone

I'll try those settings and let you know

I did call CenturyLink but the person I spoke to didn't have a clue
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Gold member
Default similar problem

Our Centurylink "2-Wire" modem/wifi router died. Hooked up an older modem and our Netgear wifi router. Didn't want to lease a new Centurylink router/modem - I know we had the Netgear router in Ohio, can't remember where the modem came from.

Anyway, it works with our computer, although sometimes we have to turn the on/off switch on the power strip. Not all the time, and not every day, but sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Doesn't go out while using the computer, only if it's been asleep or off for awhile.

Can't get it to work with my Nook at all, even though it says there's a good signal. Won't connect.

When you say "manually set," what do you mean? Do you mean find it on your computer once it's plugged into your computer? I don't see anything to manually set on the Netgear or modem themselves.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Manually set means that you have to type in the password on the bottom of the modem and change the settings manually. You need to do this only when the modem's firmware will not make the changes necessary for DSL connection automatically.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

I’m wondering why you need a modem? I have CenturyLink and all I’m using is a wireless router, and I wouldn’t even need that if I didn’t want wireless capabilities. We have FiOS here, perhaps that is the difference?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
I’m wondering why you need a modem? I have CenturyLink and all I’m using is a wireless router, and I wouldn’t even need that if I didn’t want wireless capabilities. We have FiOS here, perhaps that is the difference?
That is correct - FiOS is fibre Optic whereas our CenturyLink arrives via phone line, so we need a modem to convert the signal

I have had three replies come in overnight from Netgear (the person I spoke to on the phone sounded Indian, so that may explain the timing) so hopefully with them, and the help given by you good people, I should be up and running soon
Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
I have had three replies come in overnight from Netgear so hopefully I should be up and running soon
...except that two of the messages were of the "your request is important to us and we shall reply shortly" variety, and the third was "this issue is best sorted out over the phone - please call us".

So, no further forward, thank you NetGear.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
That is correct - FiOS is fibre Optic whereas our CenturyLink arrives via phone line, so we need a modem to convert the signal
Gotcha, thanks for the info. When I’ve had cable internet w/modem in the past, it was always the cable company that walked me through any modem problems. I’ve never had good luck with resolving issues through the hardware manufacturer. Have you tried calling the local CenturyLink office/store in Lady Lake? 352-430-2255 They are sales, but they helped me out with a repair issue a few months ago when I wasn’t getting help through the 800 repair number. It’s worth a shot.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ32162 View Post
Basic settings:
1. No
2. Blank
3. Get dynamically fron ISP
4. Get automatically from ISP
5. Enabled
6. Use default address

ADSL Settings
1. LLC - Based
2. VPI 8
3. VCI 35
AJ you are a genius - but I'm sure you know that already :-)

I put in these manual settings and before I could say "Netgear and Centurylink are useless" the e-mails were flying
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold member

Only techies may possibly be interested in this post (I wouldn't be if it weren't MY problem), so you might want to quit reading if "techie" does not describe you.

We currently have 2 issues. Our old 2wire96 (Centurylink provided 2-3 years ago) quit working. Set up this old modem and wifi router. The modem must have been our original Embarq one from about 2008 when we added wifi internet service here when our villa was a rental.

I looked on my Netgear wifi router - Model WGR614 v6 (this is from 2005) and our older Embarq (now Centurylink) modem. No buttons or anything to set anything manually as advised by AJ32162, who must be a helpful techie.

1st issue - We can get it to work for our computer - a Macbook - but have to keep turning the power switch on the power strip on and off and restart our computer when it has been asleep or turned off for awhile - not every time, but usually.

2nd issue - My Nook, which connected fine to the 2wire96 modem/router until about a month ago, will not connect to the Netgear wifi router. It does recognize the router and says the connection level is good, but it won't connect.

So, I called Nook Support this am. They were very helpful but finally said the problem is not in the Nook (I was able to connect yesterday at B & N to their wifi just fine). They said that I needed to call my ISP (Internet Service Provider, who is Centurylink DSL) because they probably have a MAC address filter (if I understood correctly - I'm not terribly techy, but can usually follow explicit directions). The MAC address for the Nook is in the Nook wifi setting screen, not a problem to find that.

So I called Centurylink who gave me the configurations for Centurylink and said I would have to call Netgear who would walk me thru it since it is not Centurylink's router

So I called Netgear, who said yes, they could help, for $199! I said, "So, for $1.99 you will walk me thru the process." They said "No, Ma'am, for $199.00 we will do that." They were not kidding. I verified that twice. Yes, to help with setting up a $75 router, I must pay them $199.

So next I thought, well, maybe there is free online support. Well, apparently not for a 2005 wifi router - said no service available once I plugged in the Model No. at the Netgear support website.

Anyway, guess we are going to get a Centurylink modem. I think they told me a month ago that they were now using a Westar model combination modem/router. I would rather buy this outright than pay to lease it, but at the moment am not up to calling them again and asking if this is an option if I buy it from one of their stores instead of leasing it from them. Anyone know or have any other suggestions?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.