computer hacking question

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Veteran member
Default computer hacking question

My computer was hacked and now I can't get in to do e-mail or facebook. Anyone have some suggestions on how I can fix this?? Does anyone know of a person who might help me that won't charge an "arm and a leg"?

I really would appreciate some suggestions to get out of this mess.

Must be the season for some folks who have way too much time on their hands and make up weird stories to try (emphasis on try) to bilk someone out of their cash.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM

We recently had a computer problem and after researching on TOTV I contacted Phillip Woodward of Computer Solutions by Phillip.

He charged what we felt was a fair price for two trips to our home where he spent a good hour each time, plus the time he spent working at his own home.

He is Microsoft and Apple certified and licensed and insured. His number is 245-6148 or 804-8713.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Default Pc hack response

Call Refresh Computers. Outstanding work. Very good prices. They are at
998 Bichara Blvd near Winn Dixie. Phone # 352 459 0308
Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Eternal Member

Try MMD.

They are on 27/441. A couple of blocks south of 466.

109 S. US Hwy 27/441
Lady Lake, Fl 32159
(352) 750-3707

They also come to the house.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Might be too late, but you might try to restore your computer from a point you knew it was OK....maybe 2 or 3 days ago.

This could save you some cash, if it works.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Gold member

There is another thread recently on programs to download and fix bugs. Malwarebytes has worked well for many of us and is free. Also Avast is free.
In reality, they're different!

Last edited by CaptJohn; 12-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Eternal Member

Most likely you have malware on your computer. Get a copy of malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/ get the free version. If you are not able to download it you may have to boot the computer in safe mode with netword connection to get a copy.

VG
Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM

...or if you can't get to the internet from your PC, just download MalwareBytes to a USB flash drive from someone else's then run it from the flash drive on yours. It will clean it up.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Just be careful. A friend had a problem that I recognized as a particular virus going around at the time. Did not want to bother me so she called someone. The guy tried for an hour, took the PC with him and the returned it a few days later. Only cost her $140 for something I had fixed twice that week for other people by simply downloading the software to clean it. I have been in the computer field for 40 years and my observation is that there are a lot of technicians out there but not as many good troubleshooters and when you are paying by the hour you want someone who can quickly determine the problem as the fix usually does not take long.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You did not say exactly why you couldn't send email. If the "hack" stole your address book and mailed to everyone in it (a common hack) then most likely your internet service provider froze your account as a possible source of spam. You have to contact them to get it restored or, in the case of MSN, have to go in and change your Windows Live password and then you can email again.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

FYI on this...found a guy (word of mouth from a friend) and I didn't have a virus and nothing that I did started the "hack". My e-mail and Facebook passwords were changed by the hacker...so we went to my e-mail provider and now they're supposed to contact me within 24 hours...and I should be able to come up with a new password. This hacker stole ALL of my e-mail accounts and spammed to them.

A word to the wise is we all get those cute spams from friends that have sweet sayings, poems etc. then we're to share these with 10 of our best friends as it's so sweet and they should enjoy them too. PLUS it's says something "good" will come our way because of this. DON'T spam your 10 friends!! This is another way hackers get e-mails and can send innocuous mail and sometimes virus's as well.

Awhile ago I began to just delete these when I get them. Not sure how the hacker's got into my stuff this time...but hopefully it will be the one and only time as it's very, very inconvenient and costly (only in that who wants to spead any amount of cash this time of year for a computer clean-up).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.