To Use or Not To Use “WhatsApp”?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default To Use or Not To Use “WhatsApp”?

I had never heard of WhatsApp until a couple of weeks ago. I have some questions about it that I hope somebody can answer from their own experience. (I have looked stuff up but I sometimes prefer anecdotal evidence to reviews from computer sites.)

I have a group of friends who get together once a month. Sometimes we communicate our plans by gmail which can turn into long, rather convoluted strings.

We probably could use group texts but I have known those to get a little “dingy” as the texts come in at varying times.

Somebody suggested WhatsApp. I read that Facebook owns it now. (I am not on Facebook.)

Signing up for WhatsApp means you have to put your cell number in. Of course, my friends know my cell number, but I am pretty careful with it because I do not want those obnoxious calls from scammers and spoofers and robots, etc.

We have a hardline phone and that is the number I put on things like online ordering where they want a number. But actually most of the numbers that come in on the hardline are not recognized so we don’t answer. (My personal favorite incoming actually showed as our own number. Geez.)

We run our lives from our cell phones and are stingy with those numbers.

My main question is if I sign up for WhatsApp, am I compromising my cell number? It is rare for an unwanted call to get through on my cell now and I want to keep it that way.

Thank you for any suggestions you can give me about WhatsApp.

Last edited by Boomer; 03-30-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I had never heard of WhatsApp until a couple of weeks ago. I have some questions about it that I hope somebody can answer from their own experience. (I have looked stuff up but I sometimes prefer anecdotal evidence to reviews from computer sites.)

I have a group of friends who get together once a month. Sometimes we communicate by gmail which can turn into long, rather convoluted strings.

We probably could use group texts but I have known those to get a little “dingy” as the texts come in at varying times.

Somebody suggested WhatsApp. I read that Facebook owns it now. (I am not on Facebook because I do not want to be on Facebook.)

Signing up for WhatsApp means you have to put your cell number in. Of course, my friends know my cell number, but I am pretty careful with it because I do not want those obnoxious calls from scammers and spoofers and robots, etc.

We have a hardline phone and that is the number I put on things like online ordering where they want a number. But actually most of the numbers that come in on the hardline are not recognized so we don’t answer. (My personal favorite incoming actually showed as our own number. Geez.)

We run our lives from our cell phones and are stingy with those numbers.

My main question is if I sign up for WhatsApp, am I compromising my cell number? It is rare for an unwanted call to get through on my cell now and I want to keep it that way.
My adult kids use it all the time when they travel. They have said nothing about issues with the phone because of it. They have no landline nor do they do FB. We are able to keep in touch via WhatsApp when they are out of the country. Otherwise, I don't use it.

Hope this helps.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-30-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
My adult kids use it all the time when they travel. They have said nothing about issues with the phone because of it. They have no landline nor do they do FB. We are able to keep in touch via WhatsApp when they are out of the country. Otherwise, I don't use it.

Hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure FaceBook owns WhatsApp. If that matters ...
--
Bob C
Old 03-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
My main question is if I sign up for WhatsApp, am I compromising my cell number?
Facebook owns WhatsApp so anything you give to it is subject to comprise.

Something like the free version of Slack (not part of Facebook) would probably fill the bill for you. Just make one channel for monthly cards and have everyone join it. Anything typed into a channel is available to anyone else on the channel.

Slack
Old 03-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage

Some of your most personal moments are shared with WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages, photos, videos, voice messages, documents, and calls are secured from falling into the wrong hands.
WhatsApp Security
WhatsApp Security
Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Over the past several years I've traveled for business to Mexico, Central America and South America. Whats APP seems to be the text messenger of choice down there .. I signed up to communicate easier with my colleagues and business associates. I've had none of the ill effects that you're worried about. It's quick and efficient and crosses borders easily
Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Sage

I use what'sapp everyday. My only grandchild is 7 months old and his mother has family allover the world. My son named the what'sapp group after his baby. The only rule to be in the group is the comments can only be about the photos, videos or the baby. Everyday we all see a new photo or video of the baby made with their smartphones.

The phone calls I get did not change after adding what'sapp.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I have used WhatsApp for a few years now. And yes, I do get some of those "scammer" calls. Is it a result of using WhatsApp? Who can say. But, if it is going to cause you concern, then maybe avoid it.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 AM

When my daughter was in S Korea a couple of summers, WhatsApp was the only way we could communicate, it worked even though we did not have international phone service. I only use it when she travels, then I uninstall. It was free at the time, and worked great.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you to all.
Closed Thread

Tags
number, cell, whatsapp, texts, friends

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.