Computer Security

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Question Computer Security

Which computer security is better, Windows10 Defender or AVG?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Buy apple if your concerned about security.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:43 AM

The article below reviews some well known security software, including the two you mentioned.

Best Free Antivirus 2017: 6 best free AV packages to keep your PC safe | Trusted Reviews

This site finds Defender has improved since their earlier tests:

What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)

Your can search "Defender vs. AVG" and find additional opinions.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:46 AM

I like AVG, but I did have a computer tech point out the illogic of buying an expensive computer, storing all your data and programs on it, and then not be willing to spend a little money to protect it all.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Buy apple if your concerned about security.
How does this answer the OP question?

I've used them all. Defender is fine.
Used with a regular Malwarebytes free scan and you are AOK,

Last edited by SFSkol; 12-05-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
You may want to check out Avast, too.

I have used AVG for years, but several times its updates have knocked out my web browsing and I have had to "wind back" to an earlier version. And it now has daily pop-ups which can be annoying.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
The article below reviews some well known security software, including the two you mentioned.

Best Free Antivirus 2017: 6 best free AV packages to keep your PC safe | Trusted Reviews

This site finds Defender has improved since their earlier tests:

What’s the Best Antivirus for Windows 10? (Is Windows Defender Good Enough?)

Your can search "Defender vs. AVG" and find additional opinions.
Thank you, very informative info.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

A chromebook never gets a virus. Apple is very good at sending out an update when they find a virus, but, the point is someone has to get the virus first.
Chromebooks check the operating system when you first turn it on. If it's not what they left you with, they put you back one version and download a new version. You never even know this is happening as it all automatic and there is no waiting for downloads or updates.
I've used everything from PCs (including Apple II) to IBM mainframes, I now use the chromebook 99.9% of the time.
The Connected Villagers Club will be having a workshop at Eisenhower on Jan 15th 1-2. I will have a table for the chromebook, all villagers with an ID are welcome.

Connected Villager - Home
Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
A chromebook never gets a virus. Apple is very good at sending out an update when they find a virus, but, the point is someone has to get the virus first.....
Connected Villager - Home
All OS are susceptible to hacking. Not enough Apple, Chromebook, Linux, PC users out there to make it worthwhile. I'd be more concerned about the web browsers being hacked by bad sites But if you are careful and up to date you should be OK.

Nice to see a support group for the Chromebook in the Villages. What about Linux?

25 years PC repair. MCSE Microsoft Security
Old 12-06-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran member

I thought it was a very simple question about 2 security programs.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 AM

I use Defender and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes cost is $25 a year, it comes with 4 licences and works like a champ.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
I use Defender and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes cost is $25 a year, it comes with 4 licences and works like a champ.
Thank you.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 AM
fw102807

I have been using Vipre for 20 years. It is about $40.00 a year but is all inclusive with the built in firewall, provides protection from viruses, ransomware and scans internet traffic and email. It is written and supported in the US.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

The chromebook OS can not be hacked because of the way it works. First since there is no hard drive there is no place for a virus to stay. Whenever you turn on a chromebook, the first thing the OS does is to do a scan to see if the OS you have is the one they left you with. If not, then they restore you to the last good one and download a new one -- all in the background, you don't even know it is happening.
If you go to a site that grabs your screen (which has nothing to do with the OS), all you have to do is push the shutoff button and when you turn it back on you are safe again.

When the PC was first invented, it was never intended to be on the web, it was never intended to keep out viruses (since they weren't invented yet).

Linux was designed to be secure from day one (chromebook OS is a version of Linux).

Someone has to get a virus before someone can create an antivirus for it. Since the chromebook can't get a virus, it's not a problem.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:59 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
The chromebook OS can not be hacked because of the way it works. First since there is no hard drive there is no place for a virus to stay. Whenever you turn on a chromebook, the first thing the OS does is to do a scan to see if the OS you have is the one they left you with. If not, then they restore you to the last good one and download a new one -- all in the background, you don't even know it is happening.
If you go to a site that grabs your screen (which has nothing to do with the OS), all you have to do is push the shutoff button and when you turn it back on you are safe again.

When the PC was first invented, it was never intended to be on the web, it was never intended to keep out viruses (since they weren't invented yet).

Linux was designed to be secure from day one (chromebook OS is a version of Linux).

Someone has to get a virus before someone can create an antivirus for it. Since the chromebook can't get a virus, it's not a problem.
Because viruses can't be uploaded to the cloud? Your OS may be safe but your data is still vulnerable. The only people who have not been hacked yet are those who have not been targeted.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, security, avg?024, defender, windows10

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.