Computer Tech

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

I began selling the Atari 400 and 800 computers against the Apple systems in 1980 as Apple wouldn’t let me sell their systems in the small community of Urbana. In 1983, I had great success selling the CP/M based Kaypro II against the Osborne. I continued sell the Kaypro models including the IV, 10, Robie and Kaypro PC until they were killed by the IBM PC with DOS which was first introduced in 1981.
Ahhhh....Keypro II -- brings back really great memories of going to our monthly local Kaypro user group meetings where I learned how to upgrade it from 2.5 Mhz to 5 MHx processor (woo-hoo!!). A buddy and I each bought one to work part time writing dBase programs -- which were saved to its 5 1/4 floppy. Then IBM came out with their XT. Within 2 months the group was done and most were building XT clones.

Thanks for the flashback.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
As I lived through most of the Personal Computer revolution, here are some of my recollections. I began my journey with computers in 1976 by learning to program a Wang 2200 T then MVP mini system using Wang basic. The Apple II first appeared in 1977 and was difficult to obtain because of tight supplies. I purchased one in late 78.

I began selling the Atari 400 and 800 computers against the Apple systems in 1980 as Apple wouldn’t let me sell their systems in the small community of Urbana. In 1983, I had great success selling the CP/M based Kaypro II against the Osborne. I continued sell the Kaypro models including the IV, 10, Robie and Kaypro PC until they were killed by the IBM PC with DOS which was first introduced in 1981.

It brings back memories of an exciting time that I was privileged to enjoy. However, I am looking forward to my retirement from my small computer shop in the same location where it all began some thirty or more years ago.
Wow - Wang, have not heard that name in a long time. We had Wang's, little black boxes with a tiny screen. We also had a local Sheraton Hotel where An Wang (actually Dr. An Wang) used to have lunch in the lounge every day! Now I'm dating myself ...............

In our immediate area, Digital killed Wang. Digital was a great company and I had many friends who worked there.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.