Cutting the cable question

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Cutting the cable question

Have any who either have cut the cable or anticipating cutting the cable looked at this antenna:

Amazon.com: 160miles Outdoor Amplified TV Antenna - AatalTV Upgrade Omni Directional HDTV Antenna with Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster Extremely High Reception for FM/VHF/UHF Channels with 32.8ft Coax Cable: Home Audio & Theater

The information provided would/could lead one to conclude this would work well here in TV.

I continue to work at my goal of getting my Comcast bill (cable and internet) below $100 (or another provider).

Any and all other suggestions welcomed.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

I got my cable bill (Comcast) down to $69. I have an antenna (but need a better one), Sling TV ($25/mo more) and an Amazon Fire Stick.
I was using the high speed, but dropped down to 60 and am not having problems.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Have any who either have cut the cable or anticipating cutting the cable looked at this antenna:

Amazon.com: 160miles Outdoor Amplified TV Antenna - AatalTV Upgrade Omni Directional HDTV Antenna with Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster Extremely High Reception for FM/VHF/UHF Channels with 32.8ft Coax Cable: Home Audio & Theater

The information provided would/could lead one to conclude this would work well here in TV.

I continue to work at my goal of getting my Comcast bill (cable and internet) below $100 (or another provider).

I'm with you Billie, if you get any feedbavk, let us all know. We are at a disadvantage because of all the trees in LaZamora village

On another thread I started on tv box but your antenna sounds even better.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

HAve you checked with Villager Audio video, 352-388-1677, they seem to have a history of all of us cable cutters and what works.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:28 PM

I have cut the cable. Don't use an antenna . I subscribe to playstationVue. $45/month because my husband has to watch golf. And CBS $6/month. And AcornTV $5/month. Some months I add Starz or Netflix. I love the fact that I do not have any long term contracts.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM

I've just started researching Internet TV. Cable tv costs are getting ridiculous. YouTube TV seems to fit my needs best
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 AM
Default OTA Antenna

Hi, I have an antenna (65 mile range) on a 20 ft pole, with a booster, Channel Master box and pay $25. a month for Comcast 25mps. I used tvfool.com to locate my best signal (appx. 190 deg) Clearstream +4 Antenna, Winegard amp, & Channel master (comes with recording abilities ) TV Guide on line for OTA stations for all shows that are available in the Daytona/Orlando area. A smart TV, netflex, vudu when I want to pay for a movie. After initial cost (?300.) $25. a month for Comcast
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNKath View Post
Hi, I have an antenna (65 mile range) on a 20 ft pole, with a booster, Channel Master box and pay $25. a month for Comcast 25mps. I used tvfool.com to locate my best signal (appx. 190 deg) Clearstream +4 Antenna, Winegard amp, & Channel master (comes with recording abilities ) TV Guide on line for OTA stations for all shows that are available in the Daytona/Orlando area. A smart TV, netflex, vudu when I want to pay for a movie. After initial cost (?300.) $25. a month for Comcast
Thanks for the post. Could post the model numbers of the devices you used?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNKath View Post
That's the best solution I have seen.

How many otr stations do you get? PBS?
Is the pole a 1" 16 ft piece of cunduit?
How deep in ground does it go down?
Does it have a little concrete on the bottom?
Do you also need a grounding rod?

I heard that the newer houses [5 tears old] have something in the attic, maybe foil backed insulation that prevents the signal going through the roof. I forget.

Thank-you for providing this public service.
tom
Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Default Attic antenna recommendation and booster info

Tom at "VillagesAV" has had a lot to say about this stuff. I consider him to be the expert.
A search of VillagesAV on this forum will return many threads on this topic. In particular, there is one that is very informative. It is titled:

Attic antennaes?
it was started 5/21/2015 but is now closed.

It discusses a particular antenna and booster info that I found most helpful.

I like what he says on other threads about roof mounted antennas. He won't install them because he lives in The Villages and does not want to look at them (or something like that)
I agree.

Just because you CAN mount them on the roof doesn't mean you should.
(unless you have a foil lined attic as some do)

Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Gold member

We are looking at cutting the cable in the near future but in trying to watch movies with Amazon Prime, on our smart tv, we are sometimes subjected to screen freezes or outright losing the wifi. Tried a booster but that did not help.
Would hate to have to have the Comcast modem moved out of our office.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Take a look at the negative comments on this antenna. I am looking at the Db4e, solid 65+ mile range. I agree with the comments to contact Tom at Villages AV.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 PM

Hi, trying to remember some of the questions.
1. TV Listings - Find Local TV Shows and Movie Schedules - Listings Grid | TV Guide Will give you the OTA stations around here, depending where your home is, I live in Charlotte Village.
2. I put my antenna pole in the remaining post from direct TV post, yes I grounded.
3. The poles (10 ft) I bought at Lowes ?$10. each
4. channel Master, look on line or ? Best Buy. I believe they have a new unit out now.
5. Use guide wires, it's windy here Home Depot or lowes
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, work, cutting, goal, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.