Defective Fitbit

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM
Gold member
Unhappy Defective Fitbit

Last June I purchased a Fitbit HR for my wife. My problem with this device is the mileage. The steps taken seem accurate but the mileage is off by a lot. For instance, I have a smart watch and it records my steps. It shows one mile walked after about 3200 steps. I have checked these steps with another device and it seems pretty accurate. However, if my wife walks the same number of steps her Fitbit will show around 6 miles walked. I don't think I'll be able to return the device. She says the inaccurate mileage doesn't bother her but it bothers me. I'm just wondering if there are any Fitbit owners who have the same problem with the mileage?

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Gold member

Did you calibrate the FitBit to the length of her stride?
Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I do not have one of these devices, but if you go to Google, and search "fitbit inaccurate distance" you will see a lot of info, also I saw threads on calibrating the device. Your post does not indicate if the error was from day one or if it has occurred recently. If from day one, it might be a setup problem.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Gold member

I have a Fitbit HR. I'm in Michigan and I live in our lower level and Mom lives on the main floor. We have high ceilings and there are so many steps that the stairs are in two levels. My Fitbit HR does not count the stairs -- especially if I'm carrying anything! I'm up and down those stairs many times a day (usually carrying something) and it doesn't count those steps.

It also doesn't count the steps if I'm pushing a cart in a store. Drives me crazy!

I used to have a Fitbit One that I loved but it was always falling off. Then, one day I lost it in a cemetery and I never did find it!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
Last June I purchased a Fitbit HR for my wife. My problem with this device is the mileage. The steps taken seem accurate but the mileage is off by a lot. For instance, I have a smart watch and it records my steps. It shows one mile walked after about 3200 steps. I have checked these steps with another device and it seems pretty accurate. However, if my wife walks the same number of steps her Fitbit will show around 6 miles walked. I don't think I'll be able to return the device. She says the inaccurate mileage doesn't bother her but it bothers me. I'm just wondering if there are any Fitbit owners who have the same problem with the mileage?

John
Try calling FitBit Customer Service. 1-877-623-4997. Maybe they can determine what is wrong. FitBits come with a one year warantee, so if you are talking June 2015, they may replace it. If you're talking June 2014, you're probably out of luck. But, give them a call. Hopefully they will be able to fix it.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 AM
Gold member

When you sync the fitbit to your computer you can adjust the step length...since you don't mention doing that I'm assuming you haven't done the set up using your computer because that is the only way to adjust the fitbit...btw my wife has one and it took a few attempts syncing it up and adjusting the stride length to get it right.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

For those having problems with the band opening, you can purchase theses strap fasteners:

Amazon.com : NIUTOP Multicolor 12PCS Replacement Silicon Fastener Secure Rings for Fitbit Charge Band Wireless Activity Bracelet Sport Wristband Armband a Must Accessories to Connect and Secure Your Fitbit Charge Tracker Band (Tracker or Wristband NO
Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I have a Fitbit HR. I'm in Michigan and I live in our lower level and Mom lives on the main floor. We have high ceilings and there are so many steps that the stairs are in two levels. My Fitbit HR does not count the stairs -- especially if I'm carrying anything! I'm up and down those stairs many times a day (usually carrying something) and it doesn't count those steps.

It also doesn't count the steps if I'm pushing a cart in a store. Drives me crazy!

I used to have a Fitbit One that I loved but it was always falling off. Then, one day I lost it in a cemetery and I never did find it!
Mrs. Casey takes hers off and puts it in her pocket when shopping. That way you get credit for the steps.

I have the One (in my pocket) and she has the one that goes on the wrist. We were out raking leaves last fall (prior to moving to TV) and she was getting all kinds of steps and I was not getting any!

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Purchased my FitBit in June and last only a few months. Called customer service and by using your email address they could see fitbit info. Mine stopped charging and they sent me a whole new one still in the original packing to replace the one that stopped working.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Gold member

Finally I got it to work. I have the fitbit app on my ipad but because of the stupid apple signins I couldn't access it. Got to get rid of the ipad. I also had the fitbit app on my android phone but there was nothing on there that allowed me to set the step distance. I then downloaded the fitbit app on my pc and then was able to adjust the step distance. Originally the step distance was 16 feet which made the mileage out of whack. I adjust the step distance to 2'3" and now it works right. I don't know where the 16 feet came from. In any case all is good now.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Closed Thread

Tags
steps, fitbit, mileage, device, accurate, wife, walked, problem, show, return, miles, owners, john, wondering, inaccurate, bother, bothers, lot, instance, watch, smart, june, purchased, records, shows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.