Docsis 3.1 modem

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2021, 05:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts
Default Docsis 3.1 modem

Would upgrading from a docsis 3.0 modem to the new docsis 3.1 increase my internet speed?
Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Would upgrading from a docsis 3.0 modem to the new docsis 3.1 increase my internet speed?

The short answer is no.

The longer, answer is, it depends. Do you want speeds in excess of 1 gigabit? Are you willing to pay for that? Is it available where you live(extremely doubtful). If the above is true, it could make your internet speed faster. The fact is I don't think any provider is offering speeds above 1gbit and you probably are only paying for some tier well below that. So, in reality, just upgrading your modem will not increase your speed because there's a lot more to it.

Chances are you have an inferior router or router/modem combo device that's probably not great. Fixing that would probably help your speed.

The other thing is, most people think they have a slow internet connection when the problem is more likely to be the router, WiFi placement or local WiFi congestion.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:09 PM

I had to replace my modem/router combo 2.0 to a newer 3.1 because the original burned out due a power surge. The 2.0 was rated for speeds faster my my internet plan The hard wire connecton gave me the rated speed of my plan but the wifi part I was only able to give me around 60% rated speed. The newer 3.1 gave me 90 to 95 % of my plan speed. So short answer is I am not getting faster speed but getting closer to 100% of the speed i am paying for. Devices do get old since they are running 24/7 and newer ones are up to date with the current technology. If you have a stand alone router you to make sure your firmware is regularly up to date
Old 11-24-2021, 12:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

My router is a dual band AC1200 type.
Closed Thread

Tags
docsis, modem, upgrading, increase, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.