Does anybody have a Droid X?

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Does anybody have a Droid X?

My cell phone is relatively primitive. But I have not been willing to spring for an iPhone and we like our Verizon coverage.

We have a Verizon aircard that we use on the laptop when we travel and that's another reason to keep Verizon. (If only I could type on a laptop.) We have had Verizon forever.

And now that the new iPhone is having all those problems, I am over thinking about changing.

I have asked Mr. Boomer to sign on for this mission because I do not speak fluent cellphonestore. (Those places drive me nuts.) But I figured I could try to help by asking TOTVers if anybody has any comments on the Droid.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Boomer
Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Droid

I have a friend who has the Motorola Droid and loves it. He has had it since March and admits he still does not know how to use all the features yet. His only complaint is that is a bit heavy and the slide out keyboard is somewhat difficult to use.

I was in the market for a new phone and narrowed my search down to the Droid and the LG Ally. I just got the Ally yesterday and admit that I am currently a bit frustrated as this is my first smart phone. I chose the Ally because it was a bit smaller and lighter and it was free with a new 2 year contract. The Droid is made of metal and the Ally is plastic. I am pretty easy on a phone so the plastic did not bother me.

My friend feels his Droid is the best phone he has ever had from Verizon. My suggestion would be to go to the store and handle each phone and get the one that "feels" the best with the features you want.

I HATE shopping for a cell phone and making the transition from a phone I know how to use to one that makes my head spin!

Good luck phone shopping!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Sage

Well, the Motorola Droid X just came out on a couple days ago (July 14 or 15), so I'm not sure how many early adopters are on this forum.

I'm also with Verizon and I bought the HTC Incredible when it came out on April 29. I am very pleased with it.

The Droid X and the Incredible are made by different companies but have the same form-factor: brick shape with no physical keyboard. The Droid X has a larger screen.

For what it's worth, the Motorola Droid 2 is expected to come out in mid-August. Its screen will be sized like the Incredible but it will be a "slider" - it will have a physical keyboard that slides out. It will also have a on-screen keyboard like the Droid X and Incredible both have.

My opinion is that phones with the Android operating system are the way to go. There are lots of choices out there - have fun.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you, kfierle and champ6.

I did not realize that the Droid X had just come out. I will give it a little more time, but this sounds like it might be promising.

Boomer
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

You are welcome, Boomer.

I agree with Champion6 that the Android operating system is the way to go. I just got done playing with my Android phone, LG Ally. Each time I use it I am amazed with what it can do!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Sage

Hubby and I have Droid Incredibles and we love the phones. I've never had phone internet capability before and am surprised at how much I use it. I use the camera for so many things. One thing I do now is when I see a sign about an upcoming sale at a particular shop, I just take a picture of the sign, e-mail it to myself and when I get home, print out the reminder.

We've had Verizon for years. Of course, the increase in phone bill is something that I'm not happy about, but I'll keep the service and cut back somewhere else...

Last edited by pooh; 07-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

OK.... I'm coming over from the "Dark Side""....iPhone user...

Don't know too much about the Droids yet, so I'm watching this thread closely too. My iPhone will just become a big iPod, when I move back to the States [and TV] in a few months.

For me, a smartphone is only as good as the apps you are able to use. I did a little research and here's a good website to discover Droid apps, as well as iPhone apps.....

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/index.html?platform=2

Looks like some interesting apps for the Droid....
Old 07-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK.... I'm coming over from the "Dark Side""....iPhone user...

Don't know too much about the Droids yet, so I'm watching this thread closely too. My iPhone will just become a big iPod, when I move back to the States [and TV] in a few months.

For me, a smartphone is only as good as the apps you are able to use. I did a little research and here's a good website to discover Droid apps, as well as iPhone apps.....

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/index.html?platform=2

Looks like some interesting apps for the Droid....

LOL...welcome...

So far, all the apps I've installed are free...games, weather, tv stations' news (local and San Diego), calculator, a level (actually it comes in handy!), Kindle, a few others, but I'm still searching. Particularly enjoy the Kindle...I've always got a book with me when waiting around.

Since this is my first smart phone, I'm still in the awestruck state. My son has had an I phone for years and enjoys it, except when he's here. AT&T reception isn't always at optimum levels.

Now memason, come into our club, sit down, have a drink, relax, think Droid, think Droid, think......Droid.....th.......

Last edited by pooh; 07-17-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Sage

For Android apps, I use these sites:

http://www.androidzoom.com/

http://www.appbrain.com/

http://www.androlib.com/
Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage

We were at a birthday party a few weeks ago and people got into comparing phone apps and adding apps that were cool.

One app lets you place your phone near a music source and it tells you the song name and artist.

Another app tells you where the public bathrooms are located nearby.

Another is a golf GPS

etc etc etc

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Default Droid

The Verizon store is wonderful. Since the store cannot provide a tech-saavy teenager complimentary with the purchase of the Droid, they understand. They jokingly told me they would answer 3 questions each time with my Droid..that 3 answers would be all I retained. I've gone back several times. But now, after several months, the phone has become fun, somewhat to easily use, the Navigator has been a life saver, the camera and video camera are great. I like the compass and the level, too! There's a flashlight I used one night to help a person in a golfcart find some dropped keys.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
LOL...welcome...

So far, all the apps I've installed are free...games, weather, tv stations' news (local and San Diego), calculator, a level (actually it comes in handy!), Kindle, a few others, but I'm still searching. Particularly enjoy the Kindle...I've always got a book with me when waiting around.

Since this is my first smart phone, I'm still in the awestruck state. My son has had an I phone for years and enjoys it, except when he's here. AT&T reception isn't always at optimum levels.

Now memason, come into our club, sit down, have a drink, relax, think Droid, think Droid, think......Droid.....th.......
I'm thinking......I'm thinking....I'm thinking....my eyes are getting heavy....

Oh, wait... I'm reading some reviews on the Droid and its battery life. Seems it's a bit too short, if you use it as it was meant to be used.

Anybody having battery issues ??
Old 07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Cool Golf GPS......

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Another app tells you where the public bathrooms are located nearby.

Another is a golf GPS
The public bathrooms may be one feature we would like (especially as we age) but, The only Golf GPS app I would really go for is one that will guide me to that little, white, directionally challenged sphere, where ever it's hiding. (How the h*** can a white ball hide in green grass?????? )
- Irving Kristol
Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro View Post
The public bathrooms may be one feature we would like (especially as we age) but, The only Golf GPS app I would really go for is one that will guide me to that little, white, directionally challenged sphere, where ever it's hiding. (How the h*** can a white ball hide in green grass?????? )
I have the same problem. Check this out...

http://www.radargolf.com/news/articles/072007.asp

I'd still want to the able to track the ball with my iPhone or iPad. Never satisfied!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just an opposing point of view.

My neighbor got the Droid X a couple weeks ago. He offered to sell it to me for 25% of what he paid. Very frustrated with it and how not user friendly it is. Finally gave it to his son and went back to his old phone. Now planning to switch his service and get a new iphone. No thanks to a Droid. There is nothing wrong with the iphone 4. And the compatibility between that and the Mac are awesome. There are no dropped calls. And AT&T coverage is excellent. And it is so very intuitive to use as with all Apple products. Lots and lots of apps available for almost anything you could possibly ever want. Before making a final decision, go to the stores and check out both. IMHO there is no comparison.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.