Does anybody have a Droid X?

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Wink Me neither...

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I have the same problem. Check this out...

http://www.radargolf.com/news/articles/072007.asp

I'd still want to the able to track the ball with my iPhone or iPad. Never satisfied!
Should've known someone would do it. Now, how about a blinking light for those slow twilight games when the sun sets way too early?
- Irving Kristol
Old 07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I'm thinking......I'm thinking....I'm thinking....my eyes are getting heavy....

Oh, wait... I'm reading some reviews on the Droid and its battery life. Seems it's a bit too short, if you use it as it was meant to be used.

Anybody having battery issues ??
I make sure I recharge the battery every night. If I use it for more than phone, battery life isn't as long as if just using the phone, I'll agree to that. So far it hasn't been an issue with us, but I can see if one does lots of texting, checking e-mail, surfing the web, playing games, shortened life could be a problem.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yikes..... I'm starting to drift back over to the "dark side" .

I'm really hooked on the iPhone and now the iPad... iPad battery life is truely amazing at around 10 hours of usage. I use the iPhone alot...80% internet, 20% phone. Not sure the Droid battery would hold up for me.

Oh well..... sure did want to go back to Verizon, but....
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Ohhhhhhh, noooooo.......

This thread has made me run the gamut of emotions.

I was feeling so good at the start.

Now, I'm feeling so awful.

In fact, I am feeling downright verklempt.

I was all set to get a Droid X and keep Verizon. I really like the Verizon aircard. I can use the laptop in the car on long roadtrips.

Mr. Boomer likes the Verizon aircard, too. I am glad he likes it, even though I know how much he misses my helpful driving tips. But I just cannot make them as often because I am distracted now by my computer in the car.

I want one of those new-fangled phones with the big pretty screens. But I do not want to have two different carriers. I thought the problem was solved. But now......ohhhhhh, nooooooo -- battery issues could be a real pain.

Boomer
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Verklempt?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Sage

Never had an Android phone. Before my iPhone I had an HP smart phone with Windows Mobile. Other than doing email, it was nothing to write home about!

The iPhone has so many fabulous apps, both useful and fun. Android's probably will catch up, but for now, for me, it's all about the apps.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Ohhhhhhh, noooooo.......

This thread has made me run the gamut of emotions.

I was feeling so good at the start.

Now, I'm feeling so awful.

In fact, I am feeling downright verklempt.

I was all set to get a Droid X and keep Verizon. I really like the Verizon aircard. I can use the laptop in the car on long roadtrips.

Mr. Boomer likes the Verizon aircard, too. I am glad he likes it, even though I know how much he misses my helpful driving tips. But I just cannot make them as often because I am distracted now by my computer in the car.

I want one of those new-fangled phones with the big pretty screens. But I do not want to have two different carriers. I thought the problem was solved. But now......ohhhhhh, nooooooo -- battery issues could be a real pain.

Boomer
Boomer..... being "Verklempt" is not a good thing, especially over a cellphone. All I can say is "es tut mir leid"

Tschuss...

Tony....all is OK. Trust me Just a little fun with the German language...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Hi memason,

In spite of my German roots, I must confess that I got that word from an old Saturday Night Live skit called "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman."

Ohhhhhhh, I am so overcome with emotion, all upset -- what with all this angst over the cellphone thing. It's a hyperbolic tizz though.

(And Tony, he's right. It's OK. I translated.)

And, danke, memason..........(Ohhhhhh, I hope I said that part right.....For some reason I am starting to hear Wayne Newton singing in my head.)

Last edited by Boomer; 07-29-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Boomer, BabyGirl's boyfriend just got the Droid X a few days ago. He said it's bigger and heavier compared to his old phone - and you know kids... a 6-month old phone is OLD. I'll let you know if I hear anything else from him.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Droid X is a hotspot

Just a piece of information.... The Droid X is also a WiFi hotspot, allowing 5 devices to connect, so there is no more need for a Verizon Aircard and associated data plan... This means you can connect any device you have to the internet, regardless of your location, just like the aircard.

As for battery life....I think you charge it every day and when you're using it for a hotspot, you make sure you're close to a power source. In the car, you could keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter plug...

There's lots to like about the Droid... The "only" downside I have found is battery life. Then, there is the app issue. As best I can tell, there are just over 12,000 apps for Andriod devices and almost 235,000 [yeah, I said 235,000 !!] apps for the iPhone. The real issue is whether the types of apps you would use are part of the 12,000 Android apps offered.

For me, it's a tough call... I like the iPhone, but I will have to purchase something different, once I hit US soil in a couple months. So, do I go for the iPhone 4, along with AT&T or do I migrate from the "dark side" and get the Droid and Verizon's service.

Yikes.... decisions, decisions, decisions.... I thought deciding which home in TV was tough. I haven't even gotten to the golf cart yet...let me see...gas or electric ??? Hey, wait.... maybe there's an app for that ???
Old 07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Sage

A few people in this thread speak as if there is one DRIOD. In fact, there a many DROIDS available at Verizon.

Motorola DROID (will be discontinued by mid-August)
HTC DROID Incredible
Motorola DROID X
Motorola DROID 2 (will be available to buy in mid-August)

Each has different features, but all are Android phones.

Boomer, my advise is to keep learning about them until mid-August when the DROID 2 is available. Then go to a Verizon store and look at the three DROIDS. You will able to compare the size, shape, weight, user interface and other features.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member
Default LG Ally

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
A few people in this thread speak as if there is one DRIOD. In fact, there a many DROIDS available at Verizon.

Motorola DROID (will be discontinued by mid-August)
HTC DROID Incredible
Motorola DROID X
Motorola DROID 2 (will be available to buy in mid-August)

Each has different features, but all are Android phones.

Boomer, my advise is to keep learning about them until mid-August when the DROID 2 is available. Then go to a Verizon store and look at the three DROIDS. You will able to compare the size, shape, weight, user interface and other features.
I finally got my first smart phone 2 weeks ago today. I opted for the DROID interface. My phone is the LG Ally, which in not on the above list. It was a bit frustrating at first but I am really enjoying the capabilities of the phone now. My phone is lighter weight than the Motorola DROID and has a much nicer slide out keyboard.

I agree with champion6. Go to a Verizon store and look at all the DROID phones. I know I like to physically handle the phone to see how it feels in my hand. Also, go to the Verizon wireless website and compare all the features online so you are a bit more informed when you go to the store.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

It is now legal to jailbreak your IPhone so it will be interesting to see how it will work on other networks. Also it would be fun to get a version 3, jailbreak it and just use it for WiFi connections and not the phone. Not sure if that can be done yet.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Sage

I know. I'm anxious to hear reports of how well it works jailbroken (?) on other networks.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Where was the jailbreak being legal reported? I have been waiting for that and missed it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.