Does anybody have a Droid X?

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Sage

Tony, here is one article: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/us-...ry?id=11254253

It was covered extensively by many sites.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Tony
Take a look at this as it also has the pro's and con's of jailbreaking. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20012109-38.html

Also on one of the Google searches I hit on in the past few days had a link on hot to jailbreak a number of or versions and software revisions.

Here is another link. http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/07/m...reak-tool.html

It it not the one that I found the other day but I will look for it.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Tony
Here is another link to a site that has a lot of videos on how to jailbreak but I am still looking to that site that covered all versions.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/topic/iph...lbreak-sprint/
Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Veteran member

Tony
Everything you need to jailbreak the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

One thing of interest that I found in one of the video's is that once the iPhone is jail broken there is a app that can allow it to become a WiFi hotspot. Now just what is the guy referring to here? A true hot spot that anyone with a wireless device can connect to or he is meaning that the iPhone can now be used for tethering. Not sure on that one.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum member

I need the tethering function which is why I stayed with the Blackberry. Would be interested in knowing if anyone is successful in tethering with the Iphone and if there are any additional costs.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Sage

I'm a little hopeful that the jailbreak ruling will lead Apple and AT&T to drop their exclusionary contract.

It seems like a double-edged sword for both. I never had problems with the AT&T network before the iPhone became so popular. Now the AT&T network in Atlanta, and no doubt in all major metro areas, gets bogged down by text traffic it was never designed to handle-- leading non-iPhone cellphone users to switch to Verizon!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Oh no....

OK...Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread ??? Sorry Boomer!

Jailbreaking.... Just so you all understand. Jailbreaking your iPhone does NOT mean you'll be able to use it on the Verizon network ....or Sprint ...or any other non-GSM cell phone network. This is a hardware thing with Apple and no matter how many You-Tube videos you see with someone using the iPhone on Verizon...it will not work!

If you jailbreak your iPhone, you have one other choice...T-Mobile. ...and, when I was going to jailbreak my iPhone for a recent trip to the States, T-Mobile USA told me I could get a SIM card that would allow phone calls, but NO 3G ACCESS!

Finally, Apple will not honor the warranty on a jailbroken phone. If your iPhone is less than one year old...I'd tread cautiously.

If you're interested in WiFi hotspot (tethering) and the Verizon network... check out the Droid X.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I need the tethering function which is why I stayed with the Blackberry. Would be interested in knowing if anyone is successful in tethering with the Iphone and if there are any additional costs.
JoJo, are you on AT&T? Is that why you wan to tether with the iPhone? The reason I ask is that I can tether with my Incredible on Verizon.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK... Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread??? Sorry Boomer!
Such is life on TOTV. It happens all the time... too often if you ask me.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Platinum member

I am on T-Mobile and like it. I do envy the Iphone functions but absolutely have to have the tethering when I'm on the road in non-wireless territory.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK...Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread ??? Sorry Boomer! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi memason,

Please -- not to worry. I guess some people call it morphing, but my people call it conversation.

I really like this thread and I plan to show it to Mr. Boomer who likes to go to cellphone stores. I know that he will appreciate the information and will read all the links, too.

And thank you, champ6, for that suggestion about the mid-August date for the new one and comparison.

And now for another line from that old SNL skit where I got the word 'verklempt' that I was throwing around here a couple of nights ago -- from "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman.....

When Linda said that she was feeling "verklempt" and she would need a little time to compose herself, she would say to her guests, "Talk amongst yourselves."

So.....please.....talk amongst yourselves. This thread is really helping.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-31-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Sage

Boomer, here is a link to a story that includes a comparison chart for all the Android phones that Verizon offers (or will offer, when the Droid 2 comes out).

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/03...vs-incredible/

Still no official announcement as to the availability date for the Droid 2, but the newest rumor is Aug. 12.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 PM

I just ordered the Droid X from Verizon a couple of days ago. It's currently on back order and is expected to ship on 8/18. I looked at the specs for the Droid 2 but decided against it.

The Droid X has a much bigger screen (4.3" vs 3.7") than the Droid 2. That's what I really like about the Droid X. Some people think it's too big.

Also, the Droid X has an 8 mp camera vs a 5mp camera on the Droid 2.

I researched the Droid X online and the main problems I found were screen issues, problems connecting to wifi and sound problems. The screen issue was only a few phones on the initial shipment and has been fixed. I believe the wifi issues were also fixed with a software update. The sound appeared to be okay on the unit I tested at the Verizon store although it was not very loud. Also, the speaker can be covered up if you put the phone on a flat surface. It doesn't have kickstand like some of the HTC phones have.

I would have seriously considered the iphone if it was available on Verizon but I really didn't want to go to AT&T.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Sage

Niels, I'd like to see your Droid X when we're down there in a couple weeks. The larger screen size is interesting.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Niels.... I'd be interested in knowing how well the WiFi hotspot functions. That seems to be a big advantage...

Thanks....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.