Does anybody have a Droid X?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
We got the Sprint MiFi 2200 in January and it worked fine in TV. Doesn't work very well here in CA Lake County tho.

Thanks Chuckinca! That's all I needed to know... I'll be getting the VirginMobile MiFi Saturday morning, so I'll post an update next week, from TV, on its performance...

2 Days to TV!!! Woo Hoo ....
Old 09-15-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I'll be getting the VirginMobile MiFi Saturday morning, so I'll post an update next week, from TV, on its performance...
Recently read about this, seems like a good deal... can have up to five computer connections, it's easily transportable, and costs only $40 a month. We are presently paying for Comcast internet service in 2 places so I look forward to your update.

Good luck with your move to TV!! I enjoy reading your posts.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool VirginMobile MiFi 2200 report

Well, I arrived in TV at about 9:00 on friday evening. After getting the keys to my home, we headed to Walmart, where I purchased the VirginMobile USA MiFi unit. The cost at Walmart is $149.00, but has no contract. This morning, I setup the device and purchased one month of unlimited broadband usage for $40.00. Our home is in St. Charles, 4th hole of Yankee Clipper golf course. The signal is great (Sprint) and i have had no issues with speed. In fact, was streaming video on the iPad at the same time my wife was streaming video on our MacBook and both functioned very well with no stopping to buffer. I was very surprised by this...

We made a trip to the shopping center on 441 and my wife was surfing the net, with the iPad, on the way over. No problems with connection or speed there either

My first impression is very good. As I write this post, I'm sitting on the lanai, typing on the iPad and I believe we're down 2 bottles of wine....need to go shopping again for more wine :-)
Old 09-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Administrator

I'm guessing the MiFi needs wine to keep it going. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Default Re: MiFi update

memason, Thanks for taking the time to write your first impression review. Sounds like a good deal! Enjoy your WiFi, wine, and new home!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Sage

Memason,
Thanks for the update and BTW, YEAH, you're finally in TV!!

(Not a very big bottle. Guess you'll still have to go to the store.)
Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Memason,
Thanks for the update and BTW, YEAH, you're finally in TV!!

(Not a very big bottle. Guess you'll still have to go to the store.)
Thanks for the wine, but I think we'll still have to make a wine run today. Yeah, only one week in. TV, this trip. I have to go back to Gemany and eat 10 more brats and drink 52 more beers... Unfortunately, a state law i have to satisfy before I can leave the country.....
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels View Post
Consumer Reports recently tested smartphones. They rated the iPhone the highest. The Droid X came in second at one point below the iPhone. They criticized the DroidX for battery life and voice quality. I have been told that voice quality was an issue on early DroidX phones but that a software update corrected that. I have not had a problem with voice quality. However, it does use a lot of battery power. In fact, this is often a complaint on many cellphones.
Hi Neils... Now that you've had a couple months of Droid X usage, are you still happy with it? I was in TV, last week and took a look at the Droid X at Best Buy. I was a little surprised at the size. It is considerably larger than the iPhone... However, I sort of liked the larger screen. For me, the availability of good apps will be the determining factor.

Just as a side note....of all the phones they had at Best Buy, the only phone that was active, so you could actually see what it does and how it does it, was the iPhone 4. All other phones were dead or display models. Likewise, I stopped at the Millennium Mall on the way back to the airport in Orlando. The Apple store was so full of people, you could hardly walk. Seems to me that the marketing strategy of see it, feel it, touch it, play with it, is working very well for Apple. There was a L O N G line at the checkout...

One final note....for those of you who were following my assessment of the VirginMobileUSA MiFi unit, I have to say it functioned very well for me, while I was in TV. Everywhere I went and tried to use the unit, it functioned flawlessly and I had good reception on the Sprint network. I even used it on the golf course (Cane Garden) to connect my iPhone for score-keeping and GPS range finding. I used the Whistle app on the iPad to make local phone calls, while connected to the MiFi and had no quality issues.

For a no contract device and $40.00/month pay-as-you-go unlimited usage, I believe this is the perfect device for someone who needs internet in multiple locations or just needs internet wherever. I'm back in Germany for a couple more months, but when I hit the States in December, the MiFi will be in my pocket.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.