Does anyone have a Roku?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Sage
Default Does anyone have a Roku?

I have two and I'm happy. But I would be even happier if I could link my laptop to the Roku. The Roku site and the app reviewers say it can be done but I couldn't get the app I tried to work. I want to listen to Scribd or read recipes on the kitchen monitor wirelessly with my laptop as the source.

If you don't know how but if you are also interested maybe we can figure it out together in this thread.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Platinum member

We use roku on two television. I use the app to control the roku from my ipad sometimes instead of the remotes. Haven't used it on the laptop.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
We use roku on two television. I use the app to control the roku from my ipad sometimes instead of the remotes. Haven't used it on the laptop.
That's a good feature but not what I am looking for.

I want the content on my laptop, for example an audiobook or recipe linked to my Roku so I can listen or watch it on my TV. That's possible and takes more expertise than I have right now.

Maybe it's on youtube.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:39 AM
Sage

See if Intel WiDi might work for you. I use it to wireless project what my PC is displaying onto my living room TV from an adjacent room. However sound is not included. No problem for me because I can use wireless headphones or I can turn the PC speakers up a bit and hear it with no problem.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Sage

If your laptop is windows 8.1 use these instructions on link. Mirror your smartphone or tablet to the TV with a Roku - CNET
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Platinum member

We have Apple TV and mirror iPad or iPhone to TV. We mirror our pictures and videos as well
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 08-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
If your laptop is windows 8.1 use these instructions on link. Mirror your smartphone or tablet to the TV with a Roku - CNET
Thank-you
Are you projecting from your laptop to your Roku?
I followed the instructions and I'm stuck.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
See if Intel WiDi might work for you. I use it to wireless project what my PC is displaying onto my living room TV from an adjacent room. However sound is not included. No problem for me because I can use wireless headphones or I can turn the PC speakers up a bit and hear it with no problem.
Thank-you
I have an HP with AMD inside and win 8.1. How can I find out if Intel WiDi might work for me? I poked around and did a little research but if you would send me a link to a driver that would be easier.

I also don't need sound because I can use headphones with the remote for the books or read a recipe.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Sage
Default Does anyone have a Roku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you

I have an HP with AMD inside and win 8.1. How can I find out if Intel WiDi might work for me? I poked around and did a little research but if you would send me a link to a driver that would be easier.

I also don't need sound because I can use headphones with the remote for the books or read a recipe.
I would think it would work with AMD processor, but I'm not sure. I was using it with Win 8.1 before I upgraded to Win 10.

Here's the adaptor I have attached to my TV...
PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR

And here's a link to a software download...
Support Knowledge Base
Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I would think it would work with AMD processor, but I'm not sure. I was using it with Win 8.1 before I upgraded to Win 10.

Here's the adaptor I have attached to my TV...
PTV3000 | Wireless Display Adapters | Connected Entertainment | Home | NETGEAR

And here's a link to a software download...
Support Knowledge Base
I misunderstood I thought the WiDi was only software. I have a Roku 3 and was hoping that I could project from my Win 8.1 laptop to the Roku without buying another device. Thank-you
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
I misunderstood I thought the WiDi was only software. I have a Roku 3 and was hoping that I could project from my Win 8.1 laptop to the Roku without buying another device. Thank-you
Sorry 'bout that.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Gold member
Default Get Chromcast

Quote:
That's a good feature but not what I am looking for.

I want the content on my laptop, for example an audiobook or recipe linked to my Roku so I can listen or watch it on my TV. That's possible and takes more expertise than I have right now.

Maybe it's on youtube.
You need Chromcast for that. About $30 at Best Buy or order online. It will let you stream from your computer to your TV. You may need to use the Chrome Web Browser though which you can just download. I have not used Internet Explorer in many years. Chrome is just better.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
You need Chromcast for that. About $30 at Best Buy or order online. It will let you stream from your computer to your TV. You may need to use the Chrome Web Browser though which you can just download. I have not used Internet Explorer in many years. Chrome is just better.
Thank-you [i'm also a chrome fan]
The roku 3 is beta testing screen mirroring.
I just finished chatting with roku tech support. My laptop is incompatible but my nexus 7 is supposed to work according to their site. I followed Tom the AV guys advice.
I can directly connect my laptop to either screen using a usb cable and I think I'll do that before buying another device for now.
I was hoping a Roku 3 owner was successful.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM

I have three ROKU's which I love; but when I want to project from my laptop (Windows 7 or XP) I simply connect the laptop to an empty HDMI port. Of course, the laptop function key feature has to be toggled to display on the TV; or the laptop; or on both the TV and laptop. The HDMI can be purchased for about $15.00.

The above method is preferred because the laptop keyboard is the ONLY one required for maneuvering the display. You don't need the TV remote or the ROKU remote.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living a Fantasy View Post
I have three ROKU's which I love; but when I want to project from my laptop (Windows 7 or XP) I simply connect the laptop to an empty HDMI port. Of course, the laptop function key feature has to be toggled to display on the TV; or the laptop; or on both the TV and laptop. The HDMI can be purchased for about $15.00.

The above method is preferred because the laptop keyboard is the ONLY one required for maneuvering the display. You don't need the TV remote or the ROKU remote.
Thank-you
That's what I do now too.
But with a Roku and the right hardware [computer, smartphone or pad] you can send the signal wirelessly.
Closed Thread

Tags
roku, laptop, app, thread, source, kitchen, monitor, wirelessly, interested, recipes, figure, happier, link, happy, site, reviewers, listen, scribd, work, read

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.