Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 PM
mcelheny
Default E-mail

Hi,
I use the wireless internet of the Villages at Laura Manor. My wnyti.com service won't hook up to send or get my e-mail. The service has tried to help over the phone but no luck so far. I must admit I know almost nothing about my new computer which has Vista Windows. Can anyone help me?
Thanks!!
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete
Default Re: E-mail

Some of the wireless servers don't do email.

This is prevelent with the motels that offer the FREE internet service, you can't do email in the rooms on your own laptop, yet you can surf all you want,you have to got to THEIR 'puter room for email . It can be overcome by using the wireless card for laptops via the phone companies. Or, go to YOUR servers' website and retrieve it there.

At least, this is what I have found.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Veteran member

OR
Most major ISP's have webmail capability. For instance I can access my email from any computer that has web access by going to my server's website www.rr.com the rr being roadrunner available through time warner cable. I just enter my ID and password as if I was home accessing my email via my email program on my home computer.
Hope this is understandable
Handie :joke:
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Platinum member

The folks at The Villages Computer Club suggest using a web based email account. You may want to open a gmail or yahoo account. (gmail.com or Yahoo.com) Perhaps these would work.
Tampa, FL
Old 11-20-2007, 05:44 PM
mcelheny

Pete, Handieman and Avista,
Thank you so much. I'm sending and getting emails.!
Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I use a @yahoo.com email and it works fine.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM

First let's define ISP. The ISP, Internet Service Provider is an entity that manages connections to the Internet. The ISP is location specific (dial up excepted) and has nothing to do with a specific computer.

If you choose Embarq DSL at your home, any computer connected to the Internet (wired or wireless) from your home is using Embarq as its ISP.

If I choose Comcast at my home, any computer connected to the Internet (wired or wireless) at my home is using Comcast as its ISP.

The problem with email occurs when a computer is configured to send email via one ISP but is connected to the Internet via a different ISP and is only a problem when using client software (Outlook Express for example) to manage email.

If you use webmail when you are away from your normal ISP, all will work just fine. You could take your computer to Paris and connect to the Internet. Webmail will work. In fact, you can use any other computer and webmail will work so long as that computer is connected to the Internet.

Comcast and Embarq provide web based email as do most other email providers.

So, you ask, why would one not use webmail exclusively. Because client based email (Outlook Express) is far less cumbersome to use (you don't have to login ) and much faster. It also provides the ability to monitor several email accounts and to store and filter messages based on your needs.

In summary. Client based (Outlook Express, Outlook, thunderbird, etc. software is the best bet for your computer when connected to the ISP you've selected for your home.

When away from home. You should use webmail.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Gold member

One more point: If one uses a web-based email provider (Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.), then our emails are always 'out there' on a server and not on our computer.

If your email is downloaded onto your computer, then it is no longer web-based but rather is, as put earlier, computer specific.

The point to be made is that Roadrunner (the example given earlier) and Earthlink (the ISP that we use), to use just two examples, allow us to function from anywhere in the world on any computer using the webmail component provided by them. Emails come in and we can send emails out. However, once we download the mail from the ISP's server onto our home computer, then those particular emails are now on the hard drive of our own computer and no longer available on the web.

Of course, new emails continue to be sent to us and always start out on the ISP's server (hence 'webmail'), and it is from here that (again) we download them onto our own computers.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Eternal Member

Question for those of you with VISTA?

Do you use Windows Mail that came with your Vista?
I just bought a PC with Vista and I don't like the Windows Mail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..... ???

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I have Vista also.

For years, I have used only web based Yahoo as my main email with Hotmail as a backup and I've never been sorry. I can access it anywhere I go...doesn't matter where I am...even when in TV.

I don't see why your regular email wouldn't continue to work Vista or not. I didn't have to change emails when I switched to Vista.

Maybe because my email is web based?????

Not sure. Good luck!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.