Google ad services blocked

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2023, 06:56 PM
Default Google ad services blocked

When I do a google search on my iPad, I get results that are sponsored at the top of the list. When I click on them I get my browser showing Google ad services and the web page will not open. I have tried multiple sources of information and talked to a few technical support resources to no avail. I have switched browsers from chrome to safari to google with no progress.

Does anyone know how to solve this blocking?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2023, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Try a different web browser.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Were you previously using your iPad in another country? What you've described can happen when you're getting targeted for ads from a previously visited country.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
When I do a google search on my iPad, I get results that are sponsored at the top of the list. When I click on them I get my browser showing Google ad services and the web page will not open. I have tried multiple sources of information and talked to a few technical support resources to no avail. I have switched browsers from chrome to safari to google with no progress.

Thanks
I can only guess, but - iPads are Apple products. Google and Apple are competitors. It's possible that your iPad is rejecting Google ad services due to incompatibility.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:43 AM

Easiest things would be to verify you aren’t using an Adblocker or a VPN, but I’m assuming you have done that already.

Aside from that, did it work at some point and then just suddenly start? Do you have the same problem on other devices (phone, PC…etc)?

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 11-17-2023, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

As others have asked, has this always happened or is it new?

I have recently started having problems reaching some sites when using the wifi in the Rec Centers. Apparently, there is some filtering on that system that may have been tightened recently. Is it possible that the wifi/network that you are on has filtering?

I haven't heard of Apple blocking access to Google Ad Service redirection but that would make sense as a privacy setting.

Personally, I try hard to avoid clicking on the Ad or Sponsored results. I don't want to see marketing, I want to see actual results. I don't want to reward them for cluttering up the page by clicking on those Ads/Sponsors.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2023, 08:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I can only guess, but - iPads are Apple products. Google and Apple are competitors. It's possible that your iPad is rejecting Google ad services due to incompatibility.
Apple Safari search engine is powered by Google.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

I use Firefox browser, AdBlock Plus, and a VPN, and have very few problems with anyone.
I have to turn off VPN with Yahoo Mail and Amazon, as they make me jump through hoops to sign in, but can turn VPN back on as soon as signed in, and no more issues.
Certainly no problems with google.com or my local google.co.uk.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I use Firefox browser, AdBlock Plus, and a VPN, and have very few problems with anyone.
I have to turn off VPN with Yahoo Mail and Amazon, as they make me jump through hoops to sign in, but can turn VPN back on as soon as signed in, and no more issues.
Certainly no problems with google.com or my local google.co.uk.
Proper configuration is key.

Something like Pi-hole (which is amazing) can wind up blocking all Googleservices and ads.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 11-18-2023, 04:42 AM
Default Ad blocker Extension

Quote:

Thanks
Check your browser extensions. Malwarebytes has a safety extension that protects against malware, scams and ads. I have had to turn off Malwarebytes’ ad blocking on many sites. It is easy to do if you make the icon (a blue “M”) visible. Otherwise, just disable the extension.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:55 AM

Google doesn’t care which platform you use, they want you to use their search engine instead of others.
Browsers won’t matter unless your browsers have security extensions implemented. Instead of using Google, try another search engine like bing or yahoo.
Another thing to do is delete your cache and history.
You always want to use vpn or use apples private relay which is free if you have their 50GB storage option. There are other benefits you can use with this 50GB option.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Assuming you are using the Safari browser on your iPad, on your iPad, try this:
Settings > Safari > Block Pop-ups. Turn off.

You can also download another browser from the App Store such as Chrome or Firefox and try using it.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Google isn’t my First search engine, one of our computer geek coder grands switched google out of the lineup. Never ask questions because he probably knows more than I. He has been coding since 14 for $$
Old 11-18-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner1001 View Post
Assuming you are using the Safari browser on your iPad, on your iPad, try this:
Settings > Safari > Block Pop-ups. Turn off.

You can also download another browser from the App Store such as Chrome or Firefox and try using it.

Thanks. This solved the issue.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thanks. This solved the issue.
You would think the web techs you mentioned could have told you the pop ups were the problem
Closed Thread

Tags
google, services, blocking, resources, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.