Got an iPad....

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Got an iPad....

OK.... I did it! I got an iPad. We were in the States for a visit to TV [we bought a home in St. Charles] and I couldn't resist the iPad. Even though I already have an iPhone and MacBook Pro.

Most people are complaining about what it doesn't do, but I find it very useful for cruising the net, sending email, checking on investments (Ouch!) and reading a good book. In fact, on our flight to TV, we were able to use WiFi, so I used flight tracker to track our flight, in real-time, along with sending a few emails and catching up on some of my facebook pals. With Skype, I use it to make international phone calls at $.02/minute, from Germany.

While it isn't a laptop, I could easily travel with the iPad and leave the MacBook at home. Ok, maybe just for for short trips... Anything more than a week and I'd probably take the MacBook TOO.

I purchased the cheapest one, $499 and only WiFi. I'm starting to feel like I should have gotten the 3G model....

Would be interested if anyone else has purchased the iPad and your impression, so far.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

Looking at the Ipad, just read the news from Apples big Get together in California. they just released the new Iphone 4 also. looks nice.

Money out
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
OK.... I did it! I got an iPad. We were in the States for a visit to TV [we bought a home in St. Charles] and I couldn't resist the iPad. Even though I already have an iPhone and MacBook Pro.

Most people are complaining about what it doesn't do, but I find it very useful for cruising the net, sending email, checking on investments (Ouch!) and reading a good book. In fact, on our flight to TV, we were able to use WiFi, so I used flight tracker to track our flight, in real-time, along with sending a few emails and catching up on some of my facebook pals. With Skype, I use it to make international phone calls at $.02/minute, from Germany.

While it isn't a laptop, I could easily travel with the iPad and leave the MacBook at home. Ok, maybe just for for short trips... Anything more than a week and I'd probably take the MacBook TOO.

I purchased the cheapest one, $499 and only WiFi. I'm starting to feel like I should have gotten the 3G model....

Would be interested if anyone else has purchased the iPad and your impression, so far.
Hi Memason,
I'm curious how cumbersome it is to type on it. Is this why you would take your laptop also? Are there additional reasons? Thanks.

PT
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Memason,
I'm curious how cumbersome it is to type on it. Is this why you would take your laptop also? Are there additional reasons? Thanks.

PT
PT.... I can type on it for short emails. Since it's a touch screen, if you actually put your fingers on the screen, it types a letter. Takes a little getting used to, but I don't think it's bad. Plus, if you're going through airport security, you don't have to take it out of your bag....big plus! On my last trip, I had 2 laptops and the iPad...what a hassle in security.

The main reason I would take the laptop is because I'd get tired of sharing with my wife! She wasn't as enthusiastic as I about the iPad, but now, she can't keep her hands off it!

My recommendation...go to Bestbuy or an Apple store and try it out for yourself. At the Apple store, you can play to your hearts content...you gotta love the Apple store.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Have had an iPad since day2 of it's release. I have found it so useful that I use the computer only rarely. Great for the internet but remember, no flash support, so there are some vids that you cannot see. Hasn't really been a problem for me at all.
Actually using it to reply right now.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
PT.... I can type on it for short emails. Since it's a touch screen, if you actually put your fingers on the screen, it types a letter. Takes a little getting used to, but I don't think it's bad. Plus, if you're going through airport security, you don't have to take it out of your bag....big plus! On my last trip, I had 2 laptops and the iPad...what a hassle in security.

The main reason I would take the laptop is because I'd get tired of sharing with my wife! She wasn't as enthusiastic as I about the iPad, but now, she can't keep her hands off it!

My recommendation...go to Bestbuy or an Apple store and try it out for yourself. At the Apple store, you can play to your hearts content...you gotta love the Apple store.
I have gone to an Apple store and tried it! I love my iPhone and I like the iPad too. Just not convinced of the need if it wouldn't replace the laptop for travel. I have a Kindle, so wouldn't need it for books. If I didn't, it might be different, although not sure how I would like reading on the iPad vs the electronic-ink e-reader.

It will be interesting to see how all these devices develop over time. I've thought of one idea that would be cool: A next gen iPad with a built-in and removable iPhone. What do you think? Should I get Steve on the line?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:29 AM

I have not purchased it YET. However, I too will get one. I am waiting (since I waited so long) to get the next version where they will have multi tasking in. It is too true however, that you will be able to down load the software when it comes out. I will be getting the 3g with 64 g. originally I was getting 32 g but decided for $100 to get the larger one with lots of memory. I too will use it in place of my Mac book pro for short trips. Plus, it will be great to carry when I leave the house just for the day. Pages is great which you can download for $14.99. I love the idea of not needing a contract to get wi-fi when you need it. I can get from Att from a month to month basis.

I love all of the Apple products. I have 2 itouches a laptop & desktop (all Apple). I have been taking the one to one classes for 2 years. They are GREAT.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Gold member

Appears some of you might benefit by listening to a podcast I heard this past Wedesday on our local NPR programming - All Sides with Ann Fisher interviewed a William Powers, on Living in The Digital Age. Much to Consider. You can find a link to a podcast on WOSU.org under Ann's show. He discussed how he and his family now have wireless weekends, how hard it was to do so, and how much their quality of life has increased.

There was another author on a couple of weeks ago discussing how attention spans have gone haywire in the last few years because we are not trained to click all over the place. I have noticed personally that I can't seem to concentrate on reading books for long periods, even though I now have the time! I love to read, but find myself lasting about 20 minutes, then want to check my email, change the channel, etc.

Some technology is a good thing, but maybe we have too much?

This may start a firestorm, but I don't think I've seen any posts on this subject . . .
Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post

It will be interesting to see how all these devices develop over time. I've thought of one idea that would be cool: A next gen iPad with a built-in and removable iPhone. What do you think? Should I get Steve on the line?
PT... I'm making phone calls on the iPad now. You just need to use Skype and you can call anywhere in the world, as long as you're on WiFi. After about 2 months, I use the iPad all the time. Mostly, sitting on my balcony, sipping a glass of wine, typing on TOTV! Can't wait until I'm sitting on my lanai... 152 days, but who's counting
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Default ipad comments

I purchased mine in early May. I went with the 64 GB model without the 3G. It is about 1/3 full so far. I also bought a bluetooth keyboard. I probably spent 50/50 with the ipad and my other Macs. It won't entirely replace my laptop as I do videography and photo work, burn dvds, etc.. But it is great for surfing the web and email.
Besides Skype, another phone app for calls is called Whistle. So check it out.

It seems strange reverting back to a mouse on a desktop after using the ipad and the track pad on the laptop. Maybe a mouse might soon disappear just like the floppy disk.
It might be interesting to compile a list of favorite apps.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
PT... I'm making phone calls on the iPad now. You just need to use Skype and you can call anywhere in the world, as long as you're on WiFi. After about 2 months, I use the iPad all the time. Mostly, sitting on my balcony, sipping a glass of wine, typing on TOTV! Can't wait until I'm sitting on my lanai... 152 days, but who's counting

I'm starting to get tempted. Veeery tempted.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 PM

I too was going to get the 64GBut w/ 3g . Would you still get the 64GB or do you think the 32GB is enough? I would add pages which is like excel & word combined.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Do you have to pay for the phone service on Skype?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Skype...

You have to pay for the phone service, if you are calling cellphones or landlines. However, the fees are very modest at about $.02/minute. I put $10.00 on my account 6 months ago and I still have money left. But, I'm not a heavy Skype user....just occasional. Since I'm still in Germany, I use it mostly for international calls; both on the iPhone and the iPad.

If you are using Skype to Skype, then it's free.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ok.... Two months into using the ipad and I only have one regret... That I was too cheap to get the 3G model! I find that I now use the iPad more than I use my MacBook. On another thread, here on TOTV, I have discovered several useful apps for the iPad; recommended by other users.

Recently, my company implemented email integration with the iPad, so they are now "pushing" email to the iPad. Therefore, it now functions pretty much like a Blackberry and I receive company email and personal email on the same device. Thank goodness I can turn off the company email.

I have also been using the iBook app for reading. Since I've not used a Kindle or Nook, I can't compare the experience with using eInk. However, I find that I can read for several hours without a problem.

Typing takes getting used to..with the touch pad, but I find it easy now.

How are others fairings with the iPad ?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.