GPS Routing on Cart Paths

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

As most of you have discovered, the mobile version of Google Maps is not updated on the same frequency as the web version. For the time being, it's best to use the web version via your browser.

Another hint.... the trails show up better, if you don't use the satellite imagery. Once you zero in on an area of interest, you can turn on the satellite imagery again to get the more realistic view of the area.

I'm still waiting for the golf cart bridge, over 441/27 to be approved & published...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Default Bicycle Layer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
As promised, I have been working on providing all cart paths, throughout the Villages for GPS availability and eventually an app.

So far, I have editing many cart paths and roads to have BICYCLE lanes. Unfortunately, Google Maps does not have a designation for Golf Cart, so I've used bicycle for routing. I am using Google Maps to make the changes.

Currently, if you go to Google Maps and turn on the bicycle layer, you will see many cart paths in green. Much of the work, for routing, included putting in all the cart tunnels and many multi-modal paths. Now it's just a matter of them all getting connected together. I have also coded streets that have cart lanes, such as St. Charles, Bailey Trail, Odell Cir. Del Mar, San Marino, etc. I have cart paths defined all over the Villages, from 466a all the way to Lopez, over to Spanish Springs via El Camino, etc.

Google uses a "trusted" reviewer process, so each of my map edits are reviewed before going live. Over the next few days, I expect most of the current paths to be approved and published to Google Maps. Many of the edits have already been approved and they are "live" in Google Maps.

Go try it out [via Google Maps on the Internet] and let me know what you think, so far. Be sure to use bicycle routing, if you try to get directions to someplace. Also, remember that the reviews are not completed, so you might get some bogus routing [combination of car paths and non-Cart-legal streets) for the moment.

I am still updating streets, but I'm also searching for an appropriate app (Android & iOS) to allow true GPS routing via cart paths, on your smartphone.

Stay tuned . . .
I don't see anything that says "bicycle layer. How exactly are you getting to this web site, thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Default Ohhh, I found it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2278 View Post
I don't see anything that says "bicycle layer. How exactly are you getting to this web site, thanks
I actually went into maps and found it

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.