Help adding second router

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran member
Default Help adding second router

I know I put the Ethernet Lan to Lan but not sure about the settings.

Help.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Gold member

Why not describe what you are trying to accomplish with a second router.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not sure but I think a second router is hard to install. It probably has to be plugged into the first router. If it goes to your internet source directly I think you will cause problems with two routers. If you are trying to enlarge your service area you want an Extender. Try D-link for a description. This plugs into the wall electrical outlet and pickes up the signal from your router and sends in out again to your computer.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I presume you are trying to increase your WiFi range.... Mr. Google is your friend in connecting a second router. It isn't so difficult, but you have to hardwire the routers together and there are a few specific settings that need to be on the "slave" router. For seamless access throughout your home, I believe both routers will need to have the same identical SSID and connection characteristics.

As others have mentioned, there are other ways to extend range, without adding a second router, but if you already have a second router, it's doable. It's not a difficult process.

Good luck....
Old 08-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

I have an expensive but horrible Motorola dual modem router that we use with Comcast. I'm attempting to use the modem part only and have purchased a decent new router. I've been told it is easy and it probably is but ..... A few more tries and I'll have to find someone.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Adding a second router was a piece of cake! John from Right Click Computer came immediately and within minutes it was done...yay! Much more efficient now!
Closed Thread

Tags
lan, settings, adding, put, ethernet, router

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.