Help with internet speed

Old 05-24-2024, 11:54 AM
Platinum member
Default Help with internet speed

My internet is so slow that is almost worthless. This morning I used 5g on my phone.

I live in Delmar and think the only provider is Xfinity. Can anyone suggest a solution to slow internet? Xfinity claims I have a fast speed.

Thank you.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,378 Posts

Go to "speedtest.net" and do a test on all of your connected devices. You may not get the Xfinity speed you are paying for, but it should be reasonably close, especially on devices that are directly wired to the modem. I am paying Xfinity for "up to" 1.2GB per second. I just did a speed test and I am getting 900mbps on my wired desktop and 600 mbps on my wifi tablet. What speed are you paying for on Xfinity? If you are getting extremely low speeds, then you may have an issue with Xfinity. One thing to try is to unplug the modem and plug it back in. Personally, I believe in buying a higher internet speed than you need.
Old 05-24-2024, 12:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,028 Times in 779 Posts

You may have several issues bad COAX from terminal to home, bad splitter COAX connection in home or bad router. I had a friend who suffered this with Ixfinity/ Comcast for over a month. Finally after 3 visits technician meterred the coax and home connections and found problem.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,383 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
My internet is so slow that is almost worthless. This morning I used 5g on my phone.

I live in Delmar and think the only provider is Xfinity. Can anyone suggest a solution to slow internet? Xfinity claims I have a fast speed.

Thank you.
What speed are you paying for? And what are you getting?

Note that internet speed and wifi speed are different.

WiFi Speed vs Internet Speed | Sparklight.

This is a pretty good article on problems with internet speed.

8 Reasons Why Your Internet is Slow (and How to Fix It) | HighSpeedInternet.com

However, it might be more beneficial to call Xfinity rather than relying on TOTV.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

Quote:

Thank you.
Was this 5G over the telephone connection to a cell tower, or 5G in your house over the cable connection, this makes a big difference.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Was this 5G over the telephone connection to a cell tower, or 5G in your house over the cable connection, this makes a big difference.
Connection to a cell tower, I think. I have cut the cable.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,378 Posts

Quote:
Connection to a cell tower, I think. I have cut the cable.
I'm confused. Are you saying that you have a 5G internet service from Xfinity? You don't have an Xfinity COAX cable connected to a modem in your house? If you do, what internet speed are you paying for, and what speed are you getting when you do a speed test?
Old 05-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,431 Times in 5,515 Posts

Agree with retired guy, first thing check speed with speedtest
Old 05-24-2024, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,343 Posts

OP, you need to clarify your internet connection type, cable provider or cell phone service provider. A cell phone can typically connect to both, however the cable provider connection is typically WIFI and could be the 2.5 Ghz (slower) or the 5 Ghz (faster) bands depending on your cable company equipment. A cell phone connection to a CELL tower would be highly dependent on signal strength and current number of other users. Also, if you are actually connecting to a CELL tower, look at your phone to see if it displays 4G or 5G as this will tell relative speed, 4G is slower than 5G.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,345 Times in 2,860 Posts

Cutting the cable is a television term, not internet. To successfully cut the cable, one typically needs high speed internet through cable, not a cell tower. Streaming video requires high speed uncapped data, which is difficult to get through a cell tower unless you live where you get 4-5 bars of 5k signal and you have an unlimited data plan. We live in the same vinicity as the OP and our cell signal is inadequate to stream video without significant buffering. The best solution in that particular area is to get cabled internet from Comcast and then subscribe to the streaming services of your choice. We have the rather inexpensive 300 mbps speed service from Comcast and find it totally adequate for all internet and streaming needs with no buffering.
Old 05-25-2024, 04:21 AM

After checking internet and Wi-Fi speeds, also count your Wi-Fi devises…..tvs, phones, doorbell, thermostat, watches, tablets, readers, alexia’s , lights, computers, security cameras, etc. the more devices utilizing Wi-Fi, the higher internet speed required.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you.
Check to see if Quantum Fiber (Century Link) is available in your area. We dumped Xfinity for QF, opted for the lower speed, and have great service for $50/month. We stream TV, YouTubeTV, so we needed nothing from Xfinity.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Speedtest is going to tell you squat. So let’s say you are getting 50Mb from your wifi thru the internet. Where do you go from here? Is it my wifi network? Maybe/probably? Is it my internet provider network? Probably not.
No guessing here. Get a computer/ipad with an Ethernet cable attached and plug it in to the router that your provider provided you, or if it’s yours, the router hooked up to the modem. Using Ethernet, do a Speedtest. You should be getting 90% of the speed that you are paying for and you probably are getting faster speed than what you are paying for.
If this is the case (99.999% of the time it is) it’s not your network providers issue, it’s your private network inside your home, which the network provider has bother to do with this. 99% of the households don’t know how to setup an internal network, they thing when the network guy comes out, plops their router down somewhere in your house, it’s going to be magic and you will have the ultimate network. Far from it. These same 99% of the households will have the default wifi names that come with the router, and you will have 2 of them. I’ve had the same 1 network name for my last 4 homes.
Get a reputable network guy to help you out, and it’s not the geek squad nor the computer repairman.
Old 05-25-2024, 05:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,673 Times in 978 Posts

What speed are you paying for - that makes a huge difference?

What did Xfininty say when you talked to them?
Old 05-25-2024, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,383 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Get a reputable network guy to help you out, and it’s not the geek squad nor the computer repairman.
How does one find a reputable network guy?
Any recommendations?

Tags
internet, speed, slow, xfinity, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.