How Safe are Password Manager Sites

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2023, 10:48 AM

We’ve used LastPass for years and more recently 1Password. Never had any problems. 1Password is a better option in my opinion - more user friendly and allows easy passwords sharing within a family.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,035 Times in 463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
If you want a little additional security using a password manager, set it up such that the manager fills in the majority of a unique password, and then manualy add 3-4 characters to the end before hitting the enter key.

More or less an additional passcode.
Gee. I never thought of that. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:36 AM

Dashlane > 1Password

I’ve used Dashlane for years. I have an exceptionally long and complex master password. Never had any issues.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 08-18-2023, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Don’t believe for a minute that hackers are only going for banks or large institutions. Have you looked at your spam email lately? If you are a windows user and open up the wrong email, you’re hacked.
Using strong passwords is just 1 method to help secure your info. There are many others: 2 factor authentication, email aliases, VPN, facial recognition, fingerprint access, use sites that encrypt your data being sent to the website, don’t use the same password for multiple sites, use LifeLock, use an anti-virus system, and don’t use MS windows. All the latest ransom hacks were done to windows users, the GOP congressman’s hack from the Chinese was against his windows machine. If you are using windows, you need to keep up with all the windows security updates that they send out.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
I been tempted many times to use one of the password managers that are available.

My son works out of his house for a national bank, and keeps reminding me
they can and known to be hacked and recommends against them.

Your Thoughts
Sorta like giving the fox the key to the henhouse.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,679 Times in 3,170 Posts

Question about these password managers:

Many online accounts require you to change your account password every 90 days. If you are using a password manager to log in on your behalf, how do you then change your password on the individual account when it requires it?

Especially if you don't have to remember your old password and have subsequently forgotten it.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Many online accounts require you to change your account password every 90 days. If you are using a password manager to log in on your behalf, how do you then change your password on the individual account when it requires it?

Especially if you don't have to remember your old password and have subsequently forgotten it.
The PM remembers previous passwords and can suggest a random new one for most web sites.

You can also do this manually with a randomly generated password from the program.

Security check

The FAQ lower in this web page answers many of the questions:

Dashlane Password Manager

Having unique usernames helps security also, this is easily managed by a PM. DASHLANE has generator here:

Username Generator | Dashlane

Last edited by Altavia; 08-18-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

CyberSecurity experts currently recommend that the change every 90 day policy is no longer recommended. Unfortunately, there are still many sites which still enforce this requirement.

I am not sure of a PM which actually notifies you that you are approaching this time limit but at least with 1password and Dashlane, when you go through the new password page, it will fill in your old pw and then generate a new complex pw, submit it on your behalf and save it in your vault. Both maintain a history of your old passwords.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjansson View Post
I would NEVER trust google or any other company like that to manage my passwords but I've been using 1password.com for the last two years. It's convenient since i manage over 100 websites and need more than just a password protected spreadsheet to keep track of everything.

THAT BEING SAID, i would NEVER put any Bank or Credit Card information in any password manager. And always use two-factor authentication. Change passwords regularly. Use Credit Cards instead of a Debit card especially when travelling. I've only had trouble one time in 25 years.
1Password is my go-to for saving passwords. 1Password is easy to use, has never been breached (like LastPass), and is very customer friendly. In addition, using two-factor authentication helps. On a personal note, a good friend who's an executive in a security business just had one of her accounts hacked (and she's an expert in how to set things up to avoid that happening). Unsure if there's a 'perfect' solution, but setting up walls of any kind is a good beginning.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I concur w BobMiller, 1Password is the ultimate, and I have 247 saved passwords there. The important ones, like my investment accounts and the 1Password Master PassWord are 25 digits, and kept written down and kept in a sealed envelope in my gun safe and a copy in an off-site family members gunsafe in a sealed envelope. Security is an onion, good security has a lot of layers, and good security is not convenient.
Love 1Password for ease of use and so far it's never been breached compared with LastPass that's been breached several times. So, are you saying that your investment accounts aren't included in your 1Password collection of passwords?
Old 08-18-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Having a password manager app is like having a safe in your house. A thief knows that, if they break into the safe, they will find something of value. But, if you hide your passwords in a document that only you know exists, it is very difficult for a hacker to find it.
This is absolutely a great analogy and practical advice. The issue for some of us who flip around with different sites daily is that it's impossible to remember every password and time consuming to have to look them up with each use. 1Password has saved my sanity since access to the computer is a hobby that is greatly improved by the system that 1Password has established to access any site quickly. So far 1Password has never been breached. Should that happen, I'll be using your system.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
Love 1Password for ease of use and so far it's never been breached compared with LastPass that's been breached several times. So, are you saying that your investment accounts aren't included in your 1Password collection of passwords?
Would you mind sending me your 1Password password so that I might be able to try it out and make an educated decision before I purchase the software.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2023, 04:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
So, they would need to hack my Google account, find my Google drive, hack it, then figure out which MS document has my passwords, hack it, and then figure out my username and find a website that would somehow benefit them. And, they still couldn't access my financial accounts. I feel pretty safe with my system.

If they can hack the pentagon then anybody can be hacked. Almost a weekly occurrence to hear of millions have been compromised by hackers getting into large companies.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Having a password manager app is like having a safe in your house. A thief knows that, if they break into the safe, they will find something of value. But, if you hide your passwords in a document that only you know exists, it is very difficult for a hacker to find it.
It would take a hacker 30 seconds to find your secret password file. Windows and Apple makes it easy as they keep an ongoing internal list of the most recently used files. That list (which certainly includes your password document) will be the first group of interesting files looked at by the hackers. The hackers know that the most used files are more likely to have value.
Old 08-18-2023, 09:31 PM

DATA SECURITY: I have been using Dashlane since 2017. Around 2020, we extended usage to entire family with a single plan for 6 members. NEVER had any issues. Dashlane follows a zero-trust architecture approach, meaning your data can be accessed by you only with a master password. Your information is stored on Dashlane’s servers only when it’s encrypted. And 256-bit AES encryption and 2FA ensure that no one from the outside has a single chance of decrypting your vault. So, your data is safe.

EFFICIENCY & TIME SAVINGS: The amount of time that Dashlane saves is another huge benefit of this app. Our family uses Dashlane across all our devices: iphone to PC to Mac, automatically synchronizing all data. I have over 500 passwords, and anytime I enter a website, Dashlane automatically fills in my username and password info. I have the option to request entry of the master password before auto-password entry for sensitive sites. I use this for dozens of entries each day, time savings is estimated by Dashlane at 50 hours per year (and this is believable once you use the app).

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
- plug-ins for browsers, so it works seamlessly with web sites.
- face recognition
- you have to authenticate every time it’s used on a browser (unless you override for 14 days)

IMHO: No errors + no forgotten passwords = huge increase in efficiency and time savings.

Last edited by JohnnyP; 08-19-2023 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Additional info relavant to posting.
Closed Thread

Tags
password, managers, national, bank, reminding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.