How Safe are Password Manager Sites

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2023, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just point out that, if you have a USB or SD card connected to a device that is connected to the Internet, a hacker can access the data on the plugged in card. The only advantage is that you can unplug the card when you don't need it. But, if you leave it plugged in, you may as well just store the data on your internal hard drive.
I only leave it plugged in on my desktop. I use the thumb drive as my portable hard drive, it has all my files on it. If I bring it with me when I travel, I only plug it in while I'm using it. I shut the laptop/tablet off when I'm not using it.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I only leave it plugged in on my desktop. I use the thumb drive as my portable hard drive, it has all my files on it. If I bring it with me when I travel, I only plug it in while I'm using it. I shut the laptop/tablet off when I'm not using it.
USB "thumb drives" fail more often than you would expect. By putting all your eggs in that one basket, there will be a day you will regret that choice.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
USB "thumb drives" fail more often than you would expect. By putting all your eggs in that one basket, there will be a day you will regret that choice.
I use thumb drives to store data, but I always have at least 2 copies.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:03 AM

Personally, I like BitWarden... free and very secure, works across several platforms (Windows, Apple, Android, Linux, etc). Plus I use 2FA...
Old 08-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just point out that, if you have a USB or SD card connected to a device that is connected to the Internet, a hacker can access the data on the plugged in card. The only advantage is that you can unplug the card when you don't need it. But, if you leave it plugged in, you may as well just store the data on your internal hard drive.
If someone preferrers USB drives, there are methods and products that incorporate encryption and security features.

Best secure drives of 2023 | TechRadar

How to encrypt a USB flash drive—and why you should – Microsoft 365
Closed Thread

Tags
password, managers, national, bank, reminding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.