I upgraded (?) to Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Sage

I crunch huge numbers also but I use real computers with 8000 E5-2690v4 processors ;-). And they don't run Windows ;-) And I don't play with stuff as I have real work to do ;-)

The average user around here only needs a minimal system unless they spend a lot of time doing video work or other content creation. The people doing content creation by and large know what they need. Most people not doing content creation are probably better off with a tablet. And they don't need 16 GBytes of memory.

The competence of Best Buy employees is unknown to me as I don't shop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
I crunch HUGE numbers. Anyone playing with SQL or even large Excel needs memory (as I presume you know). As you also know the SSD limits the system memory you need - but memory is cheap. My SSD (and I have done the Pepsi Challange - Samsung is much faster than PNY or Kenniston - probably due to their "Magician" software that also makes converting from HDD to SSD a snap for even the most novice of users).

I have first hand seen many systems "lag" from memory - but, more often than not they have 900 Windows open that they dont notice are open.

I did shop BestBuy the other day looking for a simple cable. Not only did they not know what the simple cable was (DVI) - there was not a system there for under $1000+ that was not a Chrome Book...and you know what the salesmen were saying (and they are not even on commission!!!)

Last edited by biker1; 05-03-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post

The competence of Best Buy employees is unknown to me as I don't shop there.
You and I are not typical shoppers for IT in TV....Try working in healthcare...most clinics want to spend $5000 and need to spend $30k....or they budget $150k.....and need to spend $30k....as you know, the "salesman" will try to get them to spend till it hurts
Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Sage

I agree.

I believe the average user in The Villages would be well advised to forget about a laptop or desktop computer and use a tablet as they will minimize their costs and hassle. This way, they cannot be easily misled during the buying process if they go the Best Buy route (with the exception of being talked into an extended warranty).

Quote:
You and I are not typical shoppers for IT in TV....Try working in healthcare...most clinics want to spend $5000 and need to spend $30k....or they budget $150k.....and need to spend $30k....as you know, the "salesman" will try to get them to spend till it hurts
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage

Some people like sitting at a desk and viewing a large screen rather than being hunched over a tablet, that's why they like a desktop computer.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Some people like sitting at a desk and viewing a large screen rather than being hunched over a tablet, that's why they like a desktop computer.

That is what I am at...two monitors rotated to "Portrait" plus a third connection to the TV. Plus, being as I am hard wired I get the actual speed of my internet as opposed to all the WiFi conflicts in the area..laptop at home? No thanks...
Old 05-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Sage

My laptop is connected to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. If you travel for work, as I do, you need a laptop. Desktop, no thanks.

While I use cat5 to my router, WiFi delivers the nominal bandwidth of our internet connection, both download and upload, to our wireless connected devices.

Quote:
That is what I am at...two monitors rotated to "Portrait" plus a third connection to the TV. Plus, being as I am hard wired I get the actual speed of my internet as opposed to all the WiFi conflicts in the area..laptop at home? No thanks...
Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Not hard to replicate all of your documents and configs...as you know. I never never never store critical information on my work laptop - plus, if it is lost it costs about $100,000.00+ in fines and printing/postage. Data is NEVER secure on a laptop...if stolen, it is out there. Passwords are 20 seconds or less. Adobe has some awesome encription these days, but Microsoft and the many variations of SQL - bleh.

If I had a consultant who had PHI (or other of my business information) on a laptop, no matter how "secure" they thought, think or claim it was - well, they would no longer be my consultant. Seen systems disappear from parking lots to airports to taxi's...then, data is out there for who knows who to do what with. Corporate espionage is not just for targeted companies. SOx and HIPAA is a bitch eh??

Edit: Unless you are running RSA)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Sage

Been using a laptop for work since 1995. Never had an issue.

Quote:
Not hard to replicate all of your documents and configs...as you know. I never never never store critical information on my work laptop - plus, if it is lost it costs about $100,000.00+ in fines and printing/postage. Data is NEVER secure on a laptop...if stolen, it is out there. Passwords are 20 seconds or less. Adobe has some awesome encription these days, but Microsoft and the many variations of SQL - bleh.

If I had a consultant who had PHI (or other of my business information) on a laptop, no matter how "secure" they thought, think or claim it was - well, they would no longer be my consultant. Seen systems disappear from parking lots to airports to taxi's...then, data is out there for who knows who to do what with. Corporate espionage is not just for targeted companies. SOx and HIPAA is a bitch eh??

Edit: Unless you are running RSA)

Last edited by biker1; 05-03-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 AM

We must play in VASTLY different levels of data...this is part of the reason I dont mess with SOx at all...

Stolen laptops lead to important HIPAA settlements | HHS.gov
Old 05-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Sage

I am just careful.

Quote:
We must play in VASTLY different levels of data...this is part of the reason I dont mess with SOx at all...

Stolen laptops lead to important HIPAA settlements | HHS.gov
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I am just careful.

So was the MD I worked with who had their laptop in their car (not the one mentioned on HHS). Had the laptop been owned by someone at a bank, national news. Small business owner with QuickBooks on it? That get super messy as well.

All the other poster said was "I will take a desktop" - the smart thing. Thus the reason you almost NEVER see a full OS portable in any clinic - they are all running something to a Vx/VM...and if they do take them home and loose them, nothing is lost. Then again, they have no data from home...this is not "Security 101".
Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Sage

You can define "smart" anyway you want. For me, a laptop is the smart way to go.

Quote:
So was the MD I worked with who had their laptop in their car (not the one mentioned on HHS). Had the laptop been owned by someone at a bank, national news. Small business owner with QuickBooks on it? That get super messy as well.

All the other poster said was "I will take a desktop" - the smart thing. Thus the reason you almost NEVER see a full OS portable in any clinic - they are all running something to a Vx/VM...and if they do take them home and loose them, nothing is lost. Then again, they have no data from home...this is not "Security 101".
Old 05-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Gold member

Interesting how an original post about "upgrading" to Windows 10 has gotten to discussion about some talking about their computer and needs that are HUGE with no longer any mention about Windows 10. One of the things about TOTV that never fails to amaze and entertain.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You can define "smart" anyway you want. For me, a laptop is the smart way to go.

And for me, when I find out an employee, consultant or whom ever has data on a laptop that is not encrypted - they are fired on the spot. (in a PHI environment, or a consulting environment as the system may contain my info, IP's, Domain Info and on and on)

This also goes for Dictation/Notes systems.

Just a valid point against the "my laptop is secure" idiocy. For instance. If I was working with a person in TV and they wanted a system to send emails, pay bills and run a local copy of their financials - no way I would suggest a laptop. They are far less stable (as we can see from warranty alone). They are FAR more susceptible to failure and theft (most thieves don't want to unplug a computer) - But, as you said - a tablet by and large can not store private information and require Internet for access (another flaw). From there security to the data involves more what passwords are "saved" to what ever portal they are using.

If all they want to do is play checkers and send emails to the kids - man, you can get a great system for less than $300...but then you run into "I can not see well and need a larger screen", or "I need to use a keyboard and mouse because the touch pad does not work right". (heck, I still get transcriptionists who want their keys to "click" - both HP and IBM make them)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Sage

My company only provides laptops and they remotely administer it, which is fine with me.

Far less stable? I don't think so. I have had a dozen laptops for work over the last 20+ years and have never seen a problem. Some of those laptops traveled 1.5 million miles with me on Delta. They were thrown around into rental cars, overhead bins, etc.

Quote:
And for me, when I find out an employee, consultant or whom ever has data on a laptop that is not encrypted - they are fired on the spot. (in a PHI environment, or a consulting environment as the system may contain my info, IP's, Domain Info and on and on)

This also goes for Dictation/Notes systems.

Just a valid point against the "my laptop is secure" idiocy. For instance. If I was working with a person in TV and they wanted a system to send emails, pay bills and run a local copy of their financials - no way I would suggest a laptop. They are far less stable (as we can see from warranty alone). They are FAR more susceptible to failure and theft (most thieves don't want to unplug a computer) - But, as you said - a tablet by and large can not store private information and require Internet for access (another flaw). From there security to the data involves more what passwords are "saved" to what ever portal they are using.

If all they want to do is play checkers and send emails to the kids - man, you can get a great system for less than $300...but then you run into "I can not see well and need a larger screen", or "I need to use a keyboard and mouse because the touch pad does not work right". (heck, I still get transcriptionists who want their keys to "click" - both HP and IBM make them)

Last edited by biker1; 05-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, windows, hang, things, type, bing, told, miss, solitaire, profoundly, learn, questions, stayed, friend, long, place, found, upgrade, annoying, days, ago, microsoft, upgraded, nagging, personally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.