Laptop with a Double Graphic's

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2023, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Laptop with a Double Graphic's

My 15" screen HP laptop approx. (3 years old) running windows 11 has a strange problem.

The images start to shake all over my screen like I'm seeing double, (no, this is before happy hour.)

I shut it down, it's fine for a while, then the double images come back.
If it goes in a sleep mode and it wakes up it's fine again for a while.

I do all the updates; I updated all the drives without any change.
You think it's dying?

Any Ideas??
Old 12-26-2023, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

If the problem occurs about the same amount of time after turning on, then I would say yes it is dying, now you might get luck and one of the local computer repair shops may be able to help you, I have used MMD on 441 a few years ago and was pleased with the repair and the cost.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:20 PM
Veteran member

My gut reaction is that it is a heat issue. The laptop developed a heat sensitive component and when it 'overheats' the screen starts to shimmy.

You can down load fanspeed for free and monitor the temps in your system.

Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
Old 12-27-2023, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

If you need a new screen, you can buy a replacement from Amazon for about $50 to $60.

I would suggest attaching the laptop to another screen to see if you have a defective screen.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-27-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:55 PM

I agree that the screen is going out and needs replacement this happened to my laptop. Testing the output on another screen would be helpful.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like heat issue. Seen this many times before.

Relocate the laptop. Keep off soft surfaces. Check to see if any air vents are clogged. Is the fan kicking on? Clean with air can. Get a laptop cooling fan. Try putting a fan behind the screen. Did the little rubber feet come off the bottom? Try elevating the PC to improve air flow. Shouldn't be happening to a 3yr old HP.

-S

Last edited by SFSkol; 12-28-2023 at 05:25 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

go to Jacobs computer in Wildwood on 301. If he can't fix it, no one can. Better than MMD for sure, and cheaper
Old 12-28-2023, 06:53 AM
Gold member

You can try this:

Right-click on your desktop, select Display settings, and look for the Multiple displays option. Mine was under "Advanced Display Settings" & I had to scroll down to see it. From the drop-down menu, select Show only on 1 or 'Choose display settings' & have it set to Display 1. Also check that the Display Resolution is at the'recommeded' setting.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My 15" screen HP laptop approx. (3 years old) running windows 11 has a strange problem.

The images start to shake all over my screen like I'm seeing double, (no, this is before happy hour.)

You think it's dying?

Any Ideas??
Most likely heat related. Most likely not your screen. Laptops, especially those with more substantial graphics cards and CPUs tend to run hot, and if not run on a cooling pad or at least on a firm surface that allows airflow under and around it (e.g. not on your lap smothering the bottom), heat is a killer. It could be something as simple as a failing fan (graphics card or main) in the laptop, but that might not be easily or cheaply replaced. My old MSI laptop ran so hot it melted the onboard Wi-Fi and warped the back of the case and I had to go to a USB Wi-Fi. My current ASUS gaming laptop, likewise, runs hot with an i9 processor and GeForce 3070Ti graphics card, and I run it on a cool surface, opened up Armoury Crate (ASUS control software) and turned things down a bit. Unless your laptop is pretty new, it's probably cheaper and smarter to just get a new one, as they are pretty cheap these days compared to repair costs and once repaired, you still have an old laptop that will likely fail again in the same way.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:03 AM

My laptop w/11 that's 2 years old would flicker on occasion. But I have a large monitor USB'd to it that never flickers so that has worked.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

You think it's dying?

Any Ideas??
I'm sorry I don't have much help to provide other than I had a similar issue with my 3 yr 15 inch HP this past summer. I was away from The Villages for the summer so tried to see if it was heat and surfed the internet for ideas .... basically tried to baby it until I returned. Well, the shaky images started returning more frequently and taking longer to clear up (no pattern). Then I started getting a test pattern and shortly thereafter it went black...the screen had died. So off for local computer help. They got my recent work backed up to my external hd and said I had to decide whether to replace the screen or buy new. Only 3 yo but I didn't see investing in it at that age since the quote was about $250 to replace screen and a short warranty time. Good luck!

Tags
double, fine, images, laptop, screen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.