Mac vs. Windows.

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2023, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Desktop or laptop?
The 16” MacBook Air is probably the best laptop on market. My wife loves her laptop, added wireless mouse because she doesn’t like internal mouse pad. I went with iMac Mini desk top with the Apple M2 processor chip. Very small box and hook up to any traditional monitor. I have a large LG 32” and great performance and speed. Integration with iPhone and iPad are great. Take pictures on phone and appear on desktop at home immediately. I used my first iMac for 11years 24/7 with ZERO trouble other than processor and speed became outdated toward end. Never had a Windows based device last more than about 3 yrs.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:44 AM

Take inventory of what you do everyday, and make sure what you do can still be done with whatever you choose for a replacement computer.

Simple to say, but difficult to know for sure.

I have both Microsoft Windows as well as Apple MacOS for desktops and laptops. I also have Samsung Android and Apple iOS tablets.

For me, all get the job done, but Samsung Android and Microsoft Windows are used mostly each day.

My experience is from decades of using both, and doing projects with Apple and Microsoft.

For computers, you'll find that Apple is more expensive though. And if you've never used Apple desktop or laptop computers, there will be a big learning curve. As Apple has said over the years, Think Different...

Good luck with your decision. If you have the $$$, buy one of each, and see personally how each is different. Both get the job done, and don't forget, if you have applications that run on your current Windows computer, you may have to purchase the version for Apple if you make the switch.

I use Google Chrome for web browsing, and it's available for every desktop, laptop, or tablet I've mentioned, and it's free.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
Old 09-27-2023, 06:04 AM

I have both a windows laptop and a MacBook Pro laptop with a 24 inch monitor for my failing eyesight. I use the MacBook more because of security. I use it for email, utube, searches, photo scanning and archiving, videos, music playlists for download ( we dance), and photo corrections. The windows machine is used for email and operating the Epson scanners. I can also rip music and write to disk in mp3 easier. Video of our dancing is also easier to save to disk. Apple has great security, but they hinder your ability to save family videos and audio tracks to disk or external devices. Windows is easier to work with there. Windows also has more software written for it. We chose security over volume.

It depends on what you want to do. I would recommend a computer that uses finger print or facial recognition in lieu of typed in passwords. That may make life easier for you.
We also have the Mac Mini, but our version does not use fingerprint recognition.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:18 AM

One thing about security...

Back years ago, Apple toured about its security, and it was very good.

Unfortunately, the ne'er-do-wells took that as a challenge, and focused their efforts to find Apple's weak spots.

Today, both Microsoft and Apple computers have pretty good security, but are vulnerable to attacks in rare instances. Each get security updates .

Alas, neither are totally secure.

Be careful out there, as the crooks are feverishly working on new attacks.
We live in interesting times
Old 09-27-2023, 07:27 AM

Unless there is a specific feature or capability you need from Apple, I would stick with Windows, get a good VPN, firewall and AV, keep them updated. You will get more bang for your buck with a Windows system, upgrades will be easy and cheaper. Also, take a look at the software you already have that you'd have to rebuy in Apple favor.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
I purchased a Mac Mini and the 27" Mac Studio monitor a couple months ago but you can use any other monitor that has a HDMi connection. Since you are wanting a desktop, I'd go this way. You will also want to get a keyboard and mouse. I'd recommend the extended keyboard that has numeric keys on the right side if you do a lot of number entries. iMacs are good too but I hate to keep buying a computer and a monitor. The Mac Studio is pricey but it is a great monitor. My next upgrade in 10 years will not include a monitor. Macs can no longer be user upgraded. RAM and SSD's are soldered to the mother board so I made sure to get the RAM and SSD space that would last me for the next 10 years (32GB and 1TB). Yes, they do last that long and longer. It's just that the OS gets to a point that it can't be upgraded to the latest version but Apple continues to support the last OS for at least 3 years. My Mac mini replaced a 10 year old 27" iMac. Didn't have an issue with it - just getting close to no longer having security updates to the OS. My wife has a 2017 21" iMac. She will not be able to upgrade to Sonoma OS but she will get security updates for 3 more years. Then she will make the switch to a mac mini and a studio monitor.

BTW, I used to program PC's at work but have had Macs at home since 1986. Macs just always seem to work.
I bought my first Mac in 87. That’s all I’ve ever used. Mac vs. PC is like driving a BMW vs. a Yugo. The feel of the thing under your fingertips is a pleasure. It feels solid.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:53 AM
Default Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Macs are good for viewing not good for creating. Windows all the way. Let the hate mail fly.
And over priced. Do yourself a favor and buy a MiniAir 11, windows 11, 11th Gen Intel Celeron - 8GB. I bought one in January for $189. Use your old screen, keyboard and mouse. It's a 'desktop' but it only measures 2.3 by 4.7 by 5.1 inches. Great Machine.

Last edited by Kathyo; 09-27-2023 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-27-2023, 07:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I have had my current ASUS gamer laptop for 9 years, and I bought it used off craigslist. Windows 10. I hate to jinx it, but it's been flawless. I'm a Windows girl forever..... it's easy, I'm happy with it, I see no reason to spend way more for a mac and then have to learn how to use it.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:57 AM

Mac Pro
Old 09-27-2023, 08:07 AM
Default Mac Mini

I've owned a Mac all in one since 2011 which still works. When we decided to become snowbirds we decided to go with a Mac Mini, this computer meets our needs on a daily basis with zero issues. We keep a HP monitor, keyboard and mouse in each location so the only thing we travel with is the Mini. I also use a 5gig laptop hard drive for the Time Machine backup. Hope this helps,
Old 09-27-2023, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

I've had Apple computers since the first 128K Mac. For most of that time, I've also had a Windows computer, a throwback to the days the 2 systems weren't really compatible and emulation software was in its infancy.

There are 100's of reasons why Mac is more efficient and justifies the higher price, but none more important than this in my opinion:

In 40 years of using a Mac every single day, I have never seen a virus, lost data or had any corruption of my computer, nor have I ever spent a single dollar on anti-virus or any other sort of protection, nor on Tech Support. ZERO losses, ZERO for protection. ZERO support.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:21 AM

Hooray! Glad you haven't crossed over to the dark side.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My Telikin seems to be on its last legs. I have been thinking about going to a Mac computer rather than the various windows computers I have had or used over the past 25 years.

Any advice on what kind of Mac would be a good choice?

The Telikins are good but I would like a change.
When I retired I switched to Mac for everything. They just do not have all the issues that you often find on Windows computers. All Apple products talk and share with each other.
MacBook Air is a good choice and if you also use an iPad with a keyboard you will be very happy.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My Telikin seems to be on its last legs. I have been thinking about going to a Mac computer rather than the various windows computers I have had or used over the past 25 years.

Any advice on what kind of Mac would be a good choice?

The Telikins are good but I would like a change.
Ok so you are comparing a tablet to a laptop?? not even close. The change from Windows to Mac isn't as easy as one would think. At one time I had both, I got rid of the Mac due to total lack of ability to be as easy as Windows. While they try, Apple just doesn't have it like Windows, also to include the office suite doesn't really work on Mac like it does on Windows. (for those promoting google, not listening I have enough software snoops in my life)

I'd actually recommend a surface over a mac any day of the week.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I've had Apple computers since the first 128K Mac. For most of that time, I've also had a Windows computer, a throwback to the days the 2 systems weren't really compatible and emulation software was in its infancy.

There are 100's of reasons why Mac is more efficient and justifies the higher price, but none more important than this in my opinion:

In 40 years of using a Mac every single day, I have never seen a virus, lost data or had any corruption of my computer, nor have I ever spent a single dollar on anti-virus or any other sort of protection, nor on Tech Support. ZERO losses, ZERO for protection. ZERO support.
That is because Mac has such a smaller market share that no hacker even cares about the platform, however I can tell you it is extremely easy to hack. Also I'll add almost 50 years of windows and I have never seen a virus, lost data, had any corruption, no tech support, etc. I pretty much think it's not the machine it's the user that is the problem

Tags
mac, good, windows, years, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.