Mac vs. Windows.

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2023, 08:47 AM

MacBook Air with the M2 chip
Old 09-27-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My Telikin seems to be on its last legs. I have been thinking about going to a Mac computer rather than the various windows computers I have had or used over the past 25 years.

Any advice on what kind of Mac would be a good choice?

The Telikins are good but I would like a change.
You might consider this (pretty good) list of factors when thinking about a switch from Windows OS to Mac OS:

https://chat.openai.com/share/a47411...4-a40538250d20

If you decide to switch to Mac OS and a MacBook (the laptop), I believe that MacBook Air has enough features for _most_ people compared to more costly MacBook Pro models. YMMV.

Once the OS decision is made, one factor in selecting a computer model is whether you mainly consume information or create information. Casual users of computers tend to spend most of their time consuming information on their device. Here is a summary of the difference between consuming and creating information:

https://chat.openai.com/share/d6b362...4-b62b0f429950

Those who mainly create information may need a computer with more power and other features (e.g., MacBook Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro) compared to mainly consuming information (e.g., MacBook Air, iPad, Microsoft Surface Laptop Go).

If you are not cost sensitive, you might buy a more powerful model.

The decision of laptop versus desktop computer depends on your particular circumstances. Here is a pretty good list of factors to consider:

https://chat.openai.com/share/ae1d9c...3-675482edb985

Bottom line—-Computer buying decisions depend on one’s particular needs, budget, and preferences. Yours certainly differ from everyone else.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

I’ve used both but prefer Mac. Mac mini for a desktop!
Old 09-27-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

I was in computers for 40+ years and an Apple user since the Apple 2 in the early 80’s.
Windows sucks. Windows has plug n pray, meaning you have a 50% chance of a driver working, so you are praying each time you install 1.
Windows is the most hacked environment, not Apple, not Linux. Every hack you hear about has involved windows. Every apple computer can run windows (if for some reason you have an app that requires windows), and it can run any version of Linux, and it can run multiple releases of osx.
The best cpu you can buy is the apple silicon m1/m2/m3 which is in every new mac/ipad. Hands down beats any intel cpu and AMD cpu (getting close).
Innovators use Apple products, followers use windows.

You didn’t say what your requirements are for a computer. We use multiple Mac computers and multiple iPads/iphones/Apple Watches in our home. The iPads are used for hours every day and I think an iPad could do 99% of what a normal person would ever need a computer. You can hook up a 27” monitor and a keyboard/mouse to the iPad. Get the 12.9” iPad. With at least 256g of storage if not more.
I use Mac’s for personal use and as a server that runs the whole house automation, keeps all the important docs, backs up all Apple devices, and streams music and videos to all TVs/stereo systems and all the cars.
If you need help there are many people here in the villages that can help you convert from windows to apple
Old 09-27-2023, 08:54 AM
Default Mac or Windows or both

IF AND ONLY IF you are willing to learn new commends, proceedures, etc, go with Mac. IMACs are way overkill unless you are into very heavy duty video editing, photo effects, art creation, CG. I would seriously consider a Macbook Air and get a separate keyboard, mouse, and monitor (you will need adaptors to go from Apple output to HDMI, keyboards). Then you have the best of both worlds. A home desktop computer which, after you disconnect, you can then take to another room or with you on trips if desired. If you ever need PC compatibility there are Windows emulators you can load on your Mac that let you run most Windows programs. Personally I like the Parallels emulator application.

MAKE SURE you like the keyboard before you buy. They are not for everyone.

FYI - I bought my current Apple MacBook air in 2015. Sill working very well. Did replace the battery a couple of years ago.

History, skip if not interested.

For personal use and early on for business use, I have been an Apple person since 1980 when the Apple II Plus was released. In 1980 thee was the Radio Shack TRS-80 and a couple of others, but there were no IBM PCs and only Apple had a spreadsheet and decent word processing application. A couple years later when IBM PC started arriving (they were built in Boca Raton, FL, at the time), I had to get one to stay compatible with government clients. (This was pre hard disks, pre Windows, pre internet and pre mouse). Once other tech companies figured out that they could buy the Operating System (DOS at the time) directly from Bill Gates / Microsoft, more PCs started appearing and prices went down.and PCs began to sell better than Apple. Macintosh held off the competitors for a very short time because it introduced the mouse to the general public. Bill Gates then came up with Windows and an add on mouse. Software companies quickly started producing applications that used a mouse and as they say -- The rest is history.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Also I'll add almost 50 years of windows and I have never seen a virus, lost data, had any corruption, no tech support, etc. I pretty much think it's not the machine it's the user that is the problem
Your response is very close to what I was about to reply. Same story. Long time Windows user (professional programmer/systems analyst), nary a virus, lost data, etc. Completely agree it is the user, not the computer.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Default Chromebox

A lot of great advice on here, but the machine that you use really should depend on what your needs are currently. For me, now that I am retired, I don't need all of the bells and whistles. I switched to a Chromebox and love it! It's very user friendly and does everything that I need, so if all you are doing these days is surfing the internet, you may want to consider a Chromebox. It's similar to a Mac Mini in that it's a small box that you can attach to the back of your monitor. It has easy access to all of the Google apps--I don't even use Word anymore--Google Docs is great and it's free! The base model is usually around $300, and they sell that at Amazon.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:49 AM

I just made an interesting switch and am loving it. Been Mac for 20 years, during which have had Mac mini, iMac, and MacBook Pro. Last was MacBook Pro on the desk also hooked to a 27” Thunderbolt display. Used that MacBook Pro (2012) for 10 years - yes Apple does support them that long.

So the switch I just made is to use the iPad for desktop and mobility. It’s all I use now. It has the M2 chip which makes it more powerful than most computers on the market, 16 GB ram, 2TB storage, WiFi and Cellular, and Apple Pencil.

On the desktop it snaps magnetically into the Magic Keyboard complete with touchpad and functions like a laptop. I also hook it to my 27” Thunderbolt Display for multiple screens.

On the road I put it in another iPad case and have all the mobility I want PLUS everything as far as data I need. No transferring from this device or that. Pretty slick.

By the way, windows sucks compared to Apple.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

I was a developer/system programmer/database guy/storage guy/network guy/engineer for solid state devices/ and numerous other positions since the mid 70’s. I went to work for a major website company and you were not allowed to use windows computers because of bugs/security issues/on and on. I also had 2 windows people working for me and they had to patch windows every month while we had Solaris/aix servers running that haven’t been rebooted for over 365 days.
For decades, if you have to use word/excel/powerpoint/office, you don’t need a pc, you can run all of them on a Mac. Get an iPad 12.9” with the attached keyboard/trackpad and never look back
Old 09-27-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

While you can put cheese on your windows, if you're into that sort of thing, it'll never be as good as putting cheese in your mac.

Mac is good for cheese, sauce, olive oil, meatballs, tuna salad, and other assorted edibles.

I'll keep using Windows until a) I break down and learn Linux or b) Windows goes out of business and Mac is the only option left.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I have never ever bought an Apple or Mac product of any kind. In the beginning, they were always too expensive. Then, later I couldn't accept the cult-like attitude of the loyal customers.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

So many "helpful" replies...

So many "cult like" attacks...

ToTV never fails to disappoint...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-27-2023, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

I've been using a Chromebook since they first came out. I converted my old laptop to Linux Mint and use it when there is something the Chromebook doesn't do. No regrets!
Old 09-27-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
I've been using a Chromebook since they first came out. I converted my old laptop to Linux Mint and use it when there is something the Chromebook doesn't do. No regrets!
I used Linux Mint (and other various flavors of Linux) for awhile, but I have found that I really don't need all of that anymore. Really, Google has such great apps, that I have everything that I need. I don't even need a machine with a lot of memory (for saving files) anymore. I send things to the cloud--easier to access. I have a Chromebook, too, but I prefer my Chromebox because I have it hooked up to a big monitor.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never ever bought an Apple or Mac product of any kind. In the beginning, they were always too expensive. Then, later I couldn't accept the cult-like attitude of the loyal customers.
I would say that maybe 10-20% of Apple customers are "fanboys" or cultlike, but it's really not much different with the brand loyalty that Harley Davidson, John Deere, Stihl, Yeti, or Milwaukee tools has with their user base.

Personally, I use a Mac as my main computer and that's it as far as Apple products. I use it because it just works and no hassles from Windows to deal with anymore since I switched 15 years ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
mac, good, windows, years, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.