Mac vs. Windows.

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2023, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
I use external hard drive for back up. That way I know I will always have my information regardless of hackers, connectivity issues etc. don’t like my personal info in the cloud. No matter how safe they say it is, I don’t believe it’s ever 100%
Good advice, I also do the same thing.

I did at one point, ran into an iCloud issue and lost some old data. They admitted it was an their glitch and gave me a substantial Gift Card (it didn't help with my data, but getting them to admit to being at fault, was a win).

Last edited by BrianL99; 09-28-2023 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,397 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My tablet is a Samsung, using an Android OS. My previous tablet was a Nexus, which used an Android OS
My cell phone is a Google Pixel, which uses an Android OS. My previous two cell phones were both Samsungs, using Android OS.
My desktop is a Windows machine. My laptop is a Windows machine. I don't use iTunes, I use YouTube Music and AmazonPrime music. For my car, I have CDs, the radio, and and my first cell phone, which I've converted into an MP3 player.

If you gave me the newest, most expensive, gizmo and gadget-equipped Apple and Mac, I'd donate it to a school and buy an Android or Windows machine.

If you paid me $500,000 to keep an Apple or Mac, I'd take your money, and use the devices as lawn ornaments.
Congratulations...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-29-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
My tablet is a Samsung, using an Android OS. My previous tablet was a Nexus, which used an Android OS
My cell phone is a Google Pixel, which uses an Android OS. My previous two cell phones were both Samsungs, using Android OS.
My desktop is a Windows machine. My laptop is a Windows machine. I don't use iTunes, I use YouTube Music and AmazonPrime music. For my car, I have CDs, the radio, and and my first cell phone, which I've converted into an MP3 player.

If you gave me the newest, most expensive, gizmo and gadget-equipped Apple and Mac, I'd donate it to a school and buy an Android or Windows machine.

If you paid me $500,000 to keep an Apple or Mac, I'd take your money, and use the devices as lawn ornaments.

Suuuuure

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 09-29-2023, 06:48 AM

What was that?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	100366  
Old 09-29-2023, 10:24 AM
Sage

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 10-05-2023, 09:09 AM

Ignorance is bliss.

If you use Windows and Android and do not want to change, it is best that you not try MacOS, iOS or WatchOS. Studies demonstrate more than 90% of users of both Windows and MacOS prefer MacOS. Also in companies where employees are given the option, more than 80% prefer Macs. STAY AWAY!
Old 10-05-2023, 11:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhollis View Post
Ignorance is bliss.

If you use Windows and Android and do not want to change, it is best that you not try MacOS, iOS or WatchOS. Studies demonstrate more than 90% of users of both Windows and MacOS prefer MacOS. Also in companies where employees are given the option, more than 80% prefer Macs. STAY AWAY!
Why try to confuse folks with facts?
Old 10-05-2023, 11:03 PM
Veteran member

Ugh. Why do some people actually care at all what OS other people use? Who cares? It's good that we have multiple options to be honest.

There's people all over the world that have one government sanctioned option, or none at all.
Old 10-06-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Picked up a very cheap Windows computer that had been wiped clean and then rebuilt. On Amazon. I did wipe it before using it just to be safe. Does not have Wi-Fi built in as they are business used computers. I guess they wanted to keep their data safe from workers surfing the web.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,985 Times in 5,363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhollis View Post
Ignorance is bliss.

Studies? What studies? There are a lot more users of Windows and Android than Mac. If 90 percent prefer Mac, why don't they use it?
Old 10-06-2023, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,695 Times in 3,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Studies? What studies? There are a lot more users of Windows and Android than Mac. If 90 percent prefer Mac, why don't they use it?
The person you responded to used a subset. Important to pay attention to those kinds of things.

Among "users of BOTH Mac & Win" - meaning, people who use both, not people who use one, plus people who use the other instead. People who are dual-OS users. Folks who might use apple at home, but windows at work. Of THAT subset of people, he claims that studies state that THOSE people prefer their Mac experience to their Windows experience.

I don't know which studies he refers to but let's pretend it's true.

I'll tell you what is also probably true: most people who use both in their lives, use Mac at home, and Windows at work. Not the other way around, because Windows is the default business operating system among the two (Linux/Unix is also a default business OS but it's not being considered in this comparison).

Who enjoys computers more? People in their work place, or people in the comfort of their own home? People doing data entry on spreadsheets at work, or people paying games on Twitch at home? Of course they're enjoying their Mac more, they get to use it for what they WANT to use it for, as opposed to what they're stuck getting paid to use it for.

I'd suggest that if their job required them to work on a Mac at their desk, and they had a windows machine at their house, they'd probably prefer the Windows OS.

I've worked on both, I hated the Mac. It was a very old version by today's standards but somewhat new when I was using it. In fact it was my introduction to personal computers. My previous experience was with Unix and Wang. Once I learned DOS, I was hooked and knew I'd never buy an Apple product again.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:46 AM

Linux is pretty good too.
Most of the internet runs off of Linux or a derivative.
Android is a derivative of Linux. MacOS is a derivative of Unix, the predecessor of Linux.

Windows is the oddball. But now they're moving towards Linux with WSL (windows subsystem for linux) and docker and such.

Linux is open source and free as in speech.

You can try any of them without erasing your hard drive by using a "live cd" version, just write it to a USB stick and boot from it.

For example, debian (the one I use):
Debian -- Live install images

Comes with everything you'd want including web browsing, email, productivity (documents, spreadsheets, presentation, database, etc), video editing, audio editing, etc. etc. either on the base image or a free install from the app store.

You can run Windows, Android, MacOS and other stuff on it with KVM/QEMU in a virtual environment. I've got Windows 10 and MacOS in virtual machines on top of my Debian Linux.

Lots of Linux distributions are based on Debian. Here's one that's pretty user friendly:
Download LMDE 6 - Linux Mint
Old 10-07-2023, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
The person you responded to used a subset. Important to pay attention to those kinds of things.

Among "users of BOTH Mac & Win" - meaning, people who use both, not people who use one, plus people who use the other instead. People who are dual-OS users. Folks who might use apple at home, but windows at work. Of THAT subset of people, he claims that studies state that THOSE people prefer their Mac experience to their Windows experience.

I don't know which studies he refers to but let's pretend it's true.

I'll tell you what is also probably true: most people who use both in their lives, use Mac at home, and Windows at work. Not the other way around, because Windows is the default business operating system among the two (Linux/Unix is also a default business OS but it's not being considered in this comparison).

Who enjoys computers more? People in their work place, or people in the comfort of their own home? People doing data entry on spreadsheets at work, or people paying games on Twitch at home? Of course they're enjoying their Mac more, they get to use it for what they WANT to use it for, as opposed to what they're stuck getting paid to use it for.

I'd suggest that if their job required them to work on a Mac at their desk, and they had a windows machine at their house, they'd probably prefer the Windows OS.
I have both a Mac and a PC at work. I HATE working on the PC, so I use the Mac, almost exclusively...

Quote:
I've worked on both, I hated the Mac. It was a very old version by today's standards but somewhat new when I was using it. In fact it was my introduction to personal computers. My previous experience was with Unix and Wang. Once I learned DOS, I was hooked and knew I'd never buy an Apple product again.
If a Mac was you're initial introduction to personal computers and you actually preferred a PC at the time, you're the 1%...

NO ONE like the cumbersome OS of those machines. Macs were simply intuitive in their use. They still are...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-07-2023, 01:02 PM

I have used Windows machines since Windows 1.0. Currently I have a Dell all-in-one desktop that is solid and reliable …

But, the Dell seldom gets used anymore. I do 99% of my computing on my Ipad now. It is convenient, mobile and able to do almost everything thing I want without firing up the Dell. The only reason, I use the Dell now is for my annual tax return… and that is only because I find the big screen more convenient
Old 10-07-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
My Telikin seems to be on its last legs. I have been thinking about going to a Mac computer rather than the various windows computers I have had or used over the past 25 years.

Any advice on what kind of Mac would be a good choice?

The Telikins are good but I would like a change.
The MacBook Air is a nice laptop and can probably do everything you want. We switch to Apple from Windows about 10 years ago and have had zero issues or problems plus Apple has excellent customer support!
Closed Thread

Tags
mac, good, windows, years, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.