Malware Attack Again

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I run Windows 7 so take Windows XP out of your mix. If fact the only common denominators for me are Comcast and TOTV. And I doubt if Comcast is the culprit as I would have attacks from all of the other sites I go to.

I am happy I am running Norton NIS to stop the attacks from damaging my PC.
Definitely take Comcast out of the equation. I have Time-Warner and have been hit on two occasions. Both while I was on TOTV and using this laptop. Never while using iPad or iPhone.

I immediately shut down everything.........and unplugged the computer. No damage.........but I'm not happy.

Last edited by swimdawg; 12-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Decoded

After watching Brad Meltzer's "Decoded" last night these attacks may only be the tip of the iceberg. Organized crime all over the world is out to invade our privacy, steal personal information, (mainly our identities) and using that, steal us blind. Hubby and I are very aware of hackers and spammers but this program left us shaking in our slippers. They are taking billions of our dollars every year and there isn't much any of us can do about it except to monitor our bank accounts and credit cards for unauthorized withdrawals and purchases. Even if WE have the very best internet security on our computers some of us are going to be affected in huge ways. The problem isn't only us and OUR security, it is the fact that the corporations, banks, etc. that we do business with can not keep up with the threats that are being created every day. If you missed this program last night I urge you to try to find a repeat of it. He starts out by talking about the "mafia" and organized crime as we knew it in years past. It is what it has evolved into that we should all be very worried about. VERY worried.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
After watching Brad Meltzer's "Decoded" last night these attacks may only be the tip of the iceberg. Organized crime all over the world is out to invade our privacy, steal personal information, (mainly our identities) and using that, steal us blind. Hubby and I are very aware of hackers and spammers but this program left us shaking in our slippers. They are taking billions of our dollars every year and there isn't much any of us can do about it except to monitor our bank accounts and credit cards for unauthorized withdrawals and purchases. Even if WE have the very best internet security on our computers some of us are going to be affected in huge ways. The problem isn't only us and OUR security, it is the fact that the corporations, banks, etc. that we do business with can not keep up with the threats that are being created every day. If you missed this program last night I urge you to try to find a repeat of it. He starts out by talking about the "mafia" and organized crime as we knew it in years past. It is what it has evolved into that we should all be very worried about. VERY worried.
what is my being VERY worried going to do to solve the problem?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I didn't say anything about solving this problem but we ALL should be worried enough about the "cyber mafia" to be extremely vigilant. Those who choose not to worry may be surprised to find their bank accounts cleaned out one of these days. These crooks are very smooth and will find a way to get your social security number, thus your identity. It's a free ride for them after that. Watch the program. I guarantee you will be VERY worried after that. And, you will feel helpless. To NOT be worried about this very scary activity that is going on in this world now is to have our heads in the sand. Information is power and the only way we can hope to save our identities and our money is by making it as difficult as we can for the thieves to get in. Even then, we are at the mercy of all of the businesses and services we do business with, hoping and praying that THEY can keep the criminals out. The program pointed out that this "mafia" has computer programs that they are using that can do something similar to a "Google search" that we all do, at times. They enter your name and they have at their fingertips everything there is to know about you, including your social security number. It's just a few steps from there to your bank account. With a social security number they can get mortgages , new credit cards, etc. all in your name. Not one of us is safe. If the experts in this field are worried, and they are extremely worried, WE should all be worried. I am not asking everyone who reads this to agree with me. I am only relaying information that felt very worrisome to me and my husband. Those who choose to ignore this very real warning are entitled to do so. Would you be worried and would you attempt to protect yourself if a tornado was bearing down on you? There is a very large "storm" brewing in cyberspace that is wreaking havoc at this very moment. All you have to do is click on a link in an e-mail and you may have downloaded one of these identity-stealing programs. The e-mail will look legitimate. This is just one of many ways these thieves can get our personal information. You won't even know what happened until you start getting bills from accounts you never opened and you check your bank account balances to find out you have been cleaned out. Knowing about this won't solve the problem and I never said it would. But knowing about this got my attention in a very big way. I worked pretty hard all of my life to get what I have and I will go to my death keeping it out of the hands of some crook in Mexico or China. This is where a lot of the cybercrime is originating, right across our own borders and in a country we are supporting by buying all of the mostly inferior products they make. If they don't already own us it won't be long before they do, and they won't have to fire a shot to do so. It is entirely possible that the "attacks" we have been subjected to here on TOTV are coming from a faction that we can not defend against.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Maybe Brad should be on the SciFi channel.
Leads from Brad Meltzer's shows.
UFO: What if I told you the government had proof of alien life but was actively covering it up?

Vatican: What if I told you that the Vatican--seat of the Catholic Church--may be responsible for the murder of one of its own popes?

2012 The Beginning: What if I told you the apocalyptic prophecies of 2012 were coming true?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Maybe Brad should be on the SciFi channel.
Leads from Brad Meltzer's shows.
UFO: What if I told you the government had proof of alien life but was actively covering it up?

Vatican: What if I told you that the Vatican--seat of the Catholic Church--may be responsible for the murder of one of its own popes?

2012 The Beginning: What if I told you the apocalyptic prophecies of 2012 were coming true?
What if I told you that it is the experts in internet security, and NOT Brad Meltzer, who are warning us about these threats?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Another Attack Attempt

At 3:11 p.m. today Norton Internet Security blocked an intrusion attempt while I was here on TOTV. In case this will help to figure out where these attacks are coming from here is the information on the Norton Security History page which is part of my Norton program:

HIGH RISK

Attacking computer myrses.com 178.18.242.189, 80

url myrses.com/news

Malicious Toolkit Website 9
Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
At 3:11 p.m. today Norton Internet Security blocked an intrusion attempt while I was here on TOTV. In case this will help to figure out where these attacks are coming from here is the information on the Norton Security History page which is part of my Norton program:

HIGH RISK

Attacking computer myrses.com 178.18.242.189, 80

url myrses.com/news

Malicious Toolkit Website 9
I have 11 additional ones to add to this. If and when anybody is interested in seeing these, please let me know.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy and al View Post
I have 11 additional ones to add to this. If and when anybody is interested in seeing these, please let me know.
Kathy and Al, I hope your internet security has blocked all of these intrusion attempts? 11 of them? Yikes! I WILL say that I was on some other site on the net last night and my Norton blocked another potential attack. In all of the years I have owned a computer I have never seen anything like this.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Kathy and Al, I hope your internet security has blocked all of these intrusion attempts? 11 of them? Yikes! I WILL say that I was on some other site on the net last night and my Norton blocked another potential attack. In all of the years I have owned a computer I have never seen anything like this.
...and I still have zero, zip, zilch, nada. I'm waiting for an explanation for that difference. Go figure!

Xavier
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

There are very isolated reports of this issue. We are monitoring all feedback and continue to run daily scans to ensure nothing is originating on TOTV.

If you have an issue that you notice and would like us to look at specifically, please email us the page you were on when this occurred as well as the Google ads displayed in the lower left tower, bottom of page, or in a thread that appear at the time. Do not post but email to us.

Site security is our top priority and we will continue to do everything we can to assist.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Interestingly, after this thread began I started getting the dreaded blue screen with a reboot following in about 10 seconds afterward. I've been getting them 3 or 4 time a day so far. I seriously doubt this site has anything to do with getting it, but I wonder if this has also happened to anyone else on here this past week. I've already been on with HP support for more that two hours yesterday, but have not determined the problem yet. I will be calling again after the weekend so the can try some advanced means of trying to identify the problem.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
VillagesFlorida-yes, all 11 were blocked by Norton and if I did not have that antivirus/malware protection with them, my computer would be toast right now!!!
And like you, I have had Norton for over 10 years now and have never once had a
a "high risk" security intrusion attempt on my computers. To have 11 in a twelve day period while exclusively on TOTV surely makes me a believer that this site has a real problem.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
...and I still have zero, zip, zilch, nada. I'm waiting for an explanation for that difference. Go figure!
Xavier
I usually use my iPad for surfing TOTV, so I've never had a problem. However I just downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials to protect my Acer Laptop. Thank you to Xavier for helping me!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.