Malware Attack Again

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Malware Attack Again

Today will be the third day in a row that my computer has come under attack while in the TOTV forum.

Twice I can believe coincidence.

Three times makes me now wonder.

I suppose it could in reality be the 4th time since I was infected a week or so ago.

Thank goodness I have the Malwarebytes Pro on my desk top computer as a result of the first attack.

btk
Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Today will be the third day in a row that my computer has come under attack while in the TOTV forum.

Twice I can believe coincidence.

Three times makes me now wonder.

I suppose it could in reality be the 4th time since I was infected a week or so ago.

Thank goodness I have the Malwarebytes Pro on my desk top computer as a result of the first attack.

btk
Now, I'm really glad I have a Mac!

This malware nonsense is good reason to own one....

Do you really think it's something on TOTV that's causing it? The site uses Google Ads [I think], so wonder if they are infecting the site there?

Admins ?????
Old 12-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

After having Norton Antivirus for the past 11 years, I have never had a "high risk" security attack reported. In the past week while always logged onto the TOTV website, I have had 7 high risk security attacks reported to me. Although the Administrator has said that everything in the site has been checked and rechecked, I find it too coincidental that many participants to this site continue to have security breach problems. There is definitely a problem within the site but apparently no one knows how to correct it. It's going to cause lots of problems for those who don't have the right antivirus/malware installed on their computers. Again, this occurs only while on the TOTV website!!!! We need a resolution and sooner rather than later.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Gold member

I too have been infected.....can it be something within this site?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum member

A real "dummy", but very serious, question. How do you know if your pc has been infected?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage

Yikes, I don't have any anti-virus at all. Maybe I'm infected and I don't know it. How can you tell?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Now, I'm really glad I have a Mac!

This malware nonsense is good reason to own one....

Do you really think it's something on TOTV that's causing it? The site uses Google Ads [I think], so wonder if they are infecting the site there?

Admins ?????
(yawn) The Mac Myth debunked yet again: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...6&postcount=14
Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Barefoot there are some very good programs for free available...Microsoft offers Microsoft Security Essentials...another is AVG Free...

Then you will need to get a Malware program and here again there are several free ones like Malwarebytes....and Iobit Advanced System Care...

With no protection you are a PRIME target for invasion. There are some virus that will be quite happy hiding in your PC and then hitch hicking on your emails to infect those you email to or you will eventually get something that will just shut you down.

You are vulnerable.

btk
Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Platinum member

I have Webroot anti-virus, and run the Malwarebytes once a week, and I've NEVER had any indication that there was an attempt by spyware on my computer form TOTV.
So far, so good, I guess.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

We have had the hosting company run scans as well as an independent contractor scan and review all files and there have not been any detections of Malware or other viruses on Talk of the Villages. There are over 1,000 unique users a day on the site, so if there were in deed malicious infection we would hear from many more people as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yikes, I don't have any anti-virus at all. Maybe I'm infected and I don't know it. How can you tell?
Go here for a free download of Windows Live Security Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ity-essentials

You won't need anything else.

Xavier
Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Eternal Member

I have experienced 3 attacks this week. One I am relatively sure was from something on TOTV.I leave my computer on 24-7 (Magic Jack requirement) and one morning when I got up it had been infected without going to any site. Malware took care of it and this is my second day with no issues.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Go here for a free download of Windows Live Security Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ity-essentials

You won't need anything else. Xavier
OK, I will download this, thanks. Oh, I'm just so stupid about this stuff, which I guess is obvious! I will download it on my Acer Laptop.

Does this mean I don't have to worry about downloading a Malware program? I think Billiethkid recommended also downloading Malware?

Is there anything I need to do to protect my iPad?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator

We have had the hosting company run scans on the server and the site files and we have also had an independent contract experienced with these issues review and there have been absolutely nothing found in this process coming from Talk of the Villages. We have over 1,000 unique users a day on the site so if there was something originating from here we would have many more reports than there has been.

Also, if someone puts a link to another site and the link is corrupt that can cause these issues if you click on it. Be cautious of anything you click on unless you are sure of the user or source.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Default strange...

Just happened to me as well. My norton said it blocked an attack just now.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.