Malware Attack Again

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Reported to TOTV

I reported this issue to TOTV mailbox last Monday when a friend in CT was attacked while on the TOTV thread re: Facebook -Hate TV .

No feedback in a week!!!!!!

I stopped going into that thread and close the TOTV site when done browsing!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

We did reply to your email. Perhaps it went into your spam or junk folder. Please see above information regarding the question on this issue.

Regards
Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran member
Default ????

Admin..... Thanks for posting....but....

If you are referring to my email, I have not received your reply....not in inbox, junk mail or deleted messages.

I know I can receive email from TOTV as I receive notification on Private Messages.

Have been looking each day in TOTV PM's but nothing there????

Tpop1
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
We did reply to your email. Perhaps it went into your spam or junk folder. Please see above information regarding the question on this issue.

Regards
I'm the friend of TPOP1 whose computer was infected while on the thread haters TV .. At my request he notified you of the attack so you might get a handle on this problem .. He sent you my cell number to contact me if you had any questions .. As of this writing you have not contacted me...

LOU924
Old 12-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I'm looking at an email on 12/13 from tpop1 that I replied to. We have had the hosting company run scans on the server and an independent security consultant scan the site. There have not been any viruses or malware found. I've been on the site using BOTH a mac and a pc with IE and I have not been able to replicate the issues reported. With over 1,000 unique visitors to the site a day and a limited number of users reporting an issue combined with all the measures we have taken, this appears not to be originating on Talk of the Villages. We will continue to monitor all feedback and continue to take any and all preventative measures. Feel free to email us with any concerns at talkofthevillages@gmail.com.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
We have had the hosting company run scans on the server and the site files and we have also had an independent contract experienced with these issues review and there have been absolutely nothing found in this process coming from Talk of the Villages. We have over 1,000 unique users a day on the site so if there was something originating from here we would have many more reports than there has been.

Also, if someone puts a link to another site and the link is corrupt that can cause these issues if you click on it. Be cautious of anything you click on unless you are sure of the user or source.
admin - have you asked the hosting company and/or the independent contractor what their opinion is re what is causing the attacks to visitors here?

i do not click on links that posters provide, nor do i look them up directly...yet my norton anti-virus has also blocked intrusions while i have been on the totv site. i verify the time that i check in to and out of totv and can identify that the intrusion took place while i was here. so i also have my suspicions - am just g lad that my norton is doing the job it is supposed to do!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
OK, I will download this, thanks. Oh, I'm just so stupid about this stuff, which I guess is obvious! I will download it on my Acer Laptop.

Does this mean I don't have to worry about downloading a Malware program? I think Billiethkid recommended also downloading Malware?

Is there anything I need to do to protect my iPad?
I've been using the Security Essentials Anti-Virus program since the first day it came out and have never had the need for anything else. Adding a Malware program won't harm anything, I just haven't seen the need so I haven't wasted my time. It would just slow things down running in the background.

I really can't help you with your iPad. I don't own one. You may try to Google "iPad Security" and see what comes up.

As an aside, to the Administrators (and anyone else), I have NEVER had anything hit my computer from TOTV. ... and if I had, I certainly would have contacted you. My theory is that whatever these folks are carrying around on their computers wasn't cleaned up by whatever they are using for protection.

Xavier
Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage

I spend way too much time on TOTV and have not had my Norton (Comcast-provided) alert me on any malware or instrusions. On my desktop I run Firefox browser almost exclusively.

So, for those of you who have had an alert...what browser are you running? Internet Explorer, firefox, safari, etc? Do you all have Norton or some other antivirus/malware protection software?

Just trying to figure out if there is a pattern here.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Sage
Smile

Nothing showing up on my McAfee firewall. I use internet explorer powered by Bright House's road runner.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I spend way too much time on TOTV and have not had my Norton (Comcast-provided) alert me on any malware or instrusions. On my desktop I run Firefox browser almost exclusively.

So, for those of you who have had an alert...what browser are you running? Internet Explorer, firefox, safari, etc? Do you all have Norton or some other antivirus/malware protection software?

I have had 6 intrusion attempts in the past few days. I run IE and have Norton. Two of the attacks came from IP address 178.17.163.189, three of them came from 178.171.63.115 and one came from 95.168.185.234.

All of these events took place while I was on TOTV, on various different threads. A couple of them popped up immediately after I entered the site, before I clicked on any specific thread.

It could just be a coincidence that I’m on TOTV when it happens, but this is an unusually high number of attempts. I normally only see this kind of thing 2 or 3 times a year, and that’s usually when I inadvertently follow a link to a hoakey website.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post

Running Internet Explorer on my desktop; Have both Malwarebytes and Avast Anti Virus. Have been hit 3 times ; none since I ran Malwarebytes in Safe Mode and cleaned it.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm running IE 9.0 with Vista operating system. Use Norton360 for protection. The only thing I hit today was a Utube video that was titled "Have you seen this in the Villages" with some cute dog full of static electricity. It happened right at that time. Could have been a coincidence and not TOTV.

The norton site said the intruder was from zouriz.com?

Just hit me strange as a few days ago I was on TOTV and somehow my browser got messed up. Once I closed it I could not use it again. Thankfully I have firefox also installed and was able to go back out there and fix it. Just figured it was something stupid I did.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Sage

My wife and I run Firefox with Norton on our computers with Windows 7. We are regularly on TOTV. My wife viewed the video with the dog and static electricity. I just checked the history in Norton for both computers and there is no evidence of any threat blocked, nor have we experienced the red screen or other disturbance. Perhaps it is an IE risk.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
I have had 6 intrusion attempts in the past few days. I run IE and have Norton. Two of the attacks came from IP address 178.17.163.189, three of them came from 178.171.63.115 and one came from 95.168.185.234.

All of these events took place while I was on TOTV, on various different threads. A couple of them popped up immediately after I entered the site, before I clicked on any specific thread.

It could just be a coincidence that I’m on TOTV when it happens, but this is an unusually high number of attempts. I normally only see this kind of thing 2 or 3 times a year, and that’s usually when I inadvertently follow a link to a hoakey website.
178.17.163.189 is from Moldavia
178.171.63.115 comes back Russian Federation
95.168.185.234 comes back Hong Kong

What I am willing to bet is that people are getting a tracking cookie that is getting by the malware and anti virus programs. Years ago I played around with a program that I found on a bulletin board (that was before the Internet became popular and browsers even existed) that would cause your computer to do weird things after you hit a certain key so many times. For example you could set so that after you hit the "Z" key 37 times it would change the background color on your screen. You could set it to any key and any number of hits at that time none destructive things to happen to play a joke on your friends.

Now that the world has changes and things have become more complex it would be fairly easy to use a tracking cookie to do the counting and then when it hits the magic number execute the virus / malware warning. Registry entries are also made and tied to the tracking cookie.

Now the OP stated he is using the purchased version of Malwarebytes and it is stopping the attack but he is still getting hit. Again I am betting on the tracking cookie as the problem. There is a program called Spy ?????? that will clean the cookies on your computer. I do not have it here on my lap top but do have it and use it all the time on my desktop (up north). The program was recommended in a TOTV post many months and is very good. It is NOT CCleaner that is recommended by many at TV computer club.

Not one program will catch everything so in some cases you will have to run Malwarebytes along with Microsoft Security Essentials and then a registry cleaned and a cookie cleaner.

I will try to find the Spy something program and post the link to this thread.

VG
Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
There is a program called Spy ??????
SPYBOT is freeware I have been using for years to clean spyware.....if that's the one of which you were thinking???

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.