Malware Attack Again

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

I just ran my Malware Bytes and my computer is clean. I've been on TOTV daily.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Administrator

It is good advice to clear ones cache in the event what users are fighting with is tied to their cookies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
178.17.163.189 is from Moldavia
178.171.63.115 comes back Russian Federation
95.168.185.234 comes back Hong Kong

What I am willing to bet is that people are getting a tracking cookie that is getting by the malware and anti virus programs. Years ago I played around with a program that I found on a bulletin board (that was before the Internet became popular and browsers even existed) that would cause your computer to do weird things after you hit a certain key so many times. For example you could set so that after you hit the "Z" key 37 times it would change the background color on your screen. You could set it to any key and any number of hits at that time none destructive things to happen to play a joke on your friends.

Now that the world has changes and things have become more complex it would be fairly easy to use a tracking cookie to do the counting and then when it hits the magic number execute the virus / malware warning. Registry entries are also made and tied to the tracking cookie.

Now the OP stated he is using the purchased version of Malwarebytes and it is stopping the attack but he is still getting hit. Again I am betting on the tracking cookie as the problem. There is a program called Spy ?????? that will clean the cookies on your computer. I do not have it here on my lap top but do have it and use it all the time on my desktop (up north). The program was recommended in a TOTV post many months and is very good. It is NOT CCleaner that is recommended by many at TV computer club.

Not one program will catch everything so in some cases you will have to run Malwarebytes along with Microsoft Security Essentials and then a registry cleaned and a cookie cleaner.

I will try to find the Spy something program and post the link to this thread.

VG
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Gold member
Default Spyware Blaster

Was given to me by a NT guy that used to be Gateways top on line service tech.

Now a head trainer for BMW of North America

Majorgeeks has it for free ware.

It works in the background you never know what it is doing. Stealth. This is sometimes a problem because unless you make yourself a reminder you forget to maual update.

As my Mac sales tech said what are you going to do with the extra hour or so of not maintaining Windows on all your computers at home

Herv
Old 12-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I use Firefox 7.01, Windows XP, Microsoft Essentials, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Ccleaner and Advance System Care.

I use multiple cleaners as there is no one that gets it all. Even after using Malwarebytes when I run Advance System care it always finds some things to fix/remove.

btk

PS I was using Firefox 4.0 and just upgraded today to 7.01
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Gold member

My computer was infected over the weekend...CRASH! I too was on TOTV! Coincidence? My computer is in the emergency room...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

There are way too many incidents here to be a mere coincidence. Along with a couple of other posters, I, too can add dates, times, attacking computer URL, and attacking name of website. I now have a total of 7 and they are all different. If the Administrator would take all of this info and refer it to a professional computer security person, they might be able to tie this together to come up with a solution. Not sure enough is being done to resolve the issue.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I use Firefox 7.01, Windows XP, Microsoft Essentials, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Ccleaner and Advance System Care.

I use multiple cleaners as there is no one that gets it all. Even after using Malwarebytes when I run Advance System care it always finds some things to fix/remove.

btk

PS I was using Firefox 4.0 and just upgraded today to 7.01
Well for the first time ever since owning a computer from 1983 while on TOTV I got hit with an attack on Saturday 12/17. My AVG was documenting four to five infections and I keep getting messages to block attempts to breach my firewall and to allow to block them. a message came up telling me if i wnated protection for $192 I could get. so I wondered if some company was pushing for a sale????

Anyway I closed out and used my malware and it found 4 infections which it cleaned. i tried it today again and the scan was clean. never thought about cleaning disk, etc.

thanks btk I do a complete clean now
Old 12-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

I have been using Norton Internet Security for some time and it automatically scans several times a day and removes "tracking cookies" as routine cleaning. If you do not have a program installed that will do this for you, you can follow these instructions to do it yourself:

Delete cookies in Internet Explorer 8

1.Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

2.Click the Safety button, and then click Delete Browsing History.

3.Select the check box next to Cookies.

4.Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the cookies associated with websites in your Favorites list.

5.Click Delete.

In Google Chrome follow these directions:

Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
Select Tools.
Select Clear browsing data.
In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the types of information that you want to remove.
Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. Select beginning of time to delete everything.
Click Clear browsing data.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

All information has been provided to the hosting company as well as a security expert with the software the forum is on and there have not been any malware, viruses, trojans, or anything originating from Talk of the Villages.

We take site security very serious and have not held back any expense in investigating the reported issues. We will continue to take any information provided and continue to have any issue reported to us investigated.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Gold member

I've been pretty secure in my opinion that my computer hasn't been compromised in any way. After reading all of these posts about being attacked time after time I decided to use the "Microsoft Live Security Essentials" program that has been on my system since the day it was released to do a full scan. This takes quite some time as over 1,000,000 items were scanned. I was feeling left out because my computer hadn't caught some nasty virus, malware, spyware, worm or trojan horse. Guess, what? Nothing was there. So, following the example of others, I downloaded Malwarebytes and did another full scan - nothing. Then I download something with the word "Spy" and "Pro in it and did the full scan - nothing. I guess I'm clean. I've uninstalled the Malware and Spyware and am now depending totally, as I have been doing for years, on the FREE solution software "Microsoft Live Security Essentials."

Now I'm feeling smugly secure! My mama always told me to be careful who I hung out with and where I went to meet friends! I declare that TOTV is on-limits.

Xavier
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Default Coincidence??

My computer went down on 12/16, and TOTV is one of the few sites that I frequent. Staples charged $127 to bring it back to life, including a year of Norton. Coincidence??
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Sage

I keep seeing an ad on TV for mycleanpc.com. Does anyone use it?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I keep seeing an ad on TV for mycleanpc.com. Does anyone use it?
Bare... A quick google search produced a lot of negative reviews and "beware" so I would say stay away from it.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have had malware ride in on some very innocent applications over time. But haven't had the problem that you are all discussing from this site...yet.

And heavens knows I am on here a LOT.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.