Malware: XP Home Security 2012 on my desktop

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I feel your Pain

I too have this infestation. I am going to take mine to CMD Computers on 441 just south of 466. The re4ason malware etc won't work is because you have to boot it up in a sector that is not Windows. You need a special disk to do this. It is going to cost 133 but it comes with two Antivirus programs that are 98% effective. I cannot get on the net or get to my restore. It has blocked all avenues for help. WhY do people do this? Merry Christmas maybe?? OH well off to the service people.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I too have this infestation. I am going to take mine to CMD Computers on 441 just south of 466. The re4ason malware etc won't work is because you have to boot it up in a sector that is not Windows. You need a special disk to do this. It is going to cost 133 but it comes with two Antivirus programs that are 98% effective. I cannot get on the net or get to my restore. It has blocked all avenues for help. WhY do people do this? Merry Christmas maybe?? OH well off to the service people.
Wow. You have to boot your computer in safe mode with networking (hitting F8 after the manufacture information appears) and then run Malwarebytes. If you do not have Malwarebytes you will have to get it on a jump drive / memory stick or from a CD. Have never heard of booting up in a sector that is NOT windows in all my years of working on computers. In no way is this malware attacking the header track of the hard drive so there is no need to be playing around with sectors in any way shape or form.

As far a blocking all avenues of help that is correct as that is the way this malware works. That is why you have to use the safe mode.The safe mode will only load the minimum programs necessary to operate the computer and you clean it from there. After running malwarebytes and your up to date anti virus you will be good to go.

Now that I know what this malware is and what it is doing it is only a different flavor of one that has been around for a few years. Fairly easy cleanup.

VG
Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
People should put their computer skills to better use rather than create malware that makes others life's miserable.

I have a question.

I there a huge difference between

Malware
Virus
Bots
Trojans

???
Malware - a malicious program that takes control of your computer. It does not destroy any files on your computer but attacks the operating system.

Virus - can destroy programs and files. It can be a program that is placed on your computer and may or may not run at the time it is installed. It may be activated when you open another program on your computer and then will start destroying your files. It may also wait and attach itself to other files and be passes along to others. Most of what you see today are malware and NOT viruses.

Bots - short for robots. This is a program that is placed on your computer and will reside there until a command is issued from the mother ship to activate and run. Most common bot is called a denial of service where thousands and thousands of bots are sent to computers around the world and just sit there doing nothing for days, weeks or even months. Then the mother ship decides to attack some one or company or web site. The command is sent and the thousands of computers all try to connect to a website or hosting server or even a company server. The server cannot handle the load and is brought to it's knees.

Trojans - similar to a virus but it may or may not destroy files and programs. It may capture information from your computer such as keystroke and send them back to the mother ship in hopes they can gain you password or other personal information (bank accounts etc.)

VG
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I did get an attack while I was on TOTV yesterday. The Malwarebytes caught it immediately and removed it.

It may be coincidence that is when it "popped".

btk
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
My Norton did this once on this site but how to you capture a screen shot?

Nice job Did you go to Nortons site and report the site.

Herv
I don't know which version of Windows you are running but I am using Windows 7. You can see how to "Snip" by going to this web site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../snipping-tool

If you have a different version of Windows just do a Google search using that operating system in the search box. When you have the screen up that you want to capture follow the instructions above. I did the "rectangular" snip. When asked, I saved the screen shot (snip) to My Pictures. To post the snip here you just "attach" it by going to the paperclip at the top of this box (the box you are typing in). Browse for the snip in My Pictures, or wherever you saved it. Click on it to attach it. It may not look like it is attached but it will be when you post here. You can try sending the snip to yourself first, just to see if that works.....I use myself as a guinea pig all the time when I am testing new ways of doing things! And, don't forget, you can always come back here and edit your post if you aren't happy with it. There seem to be other ways to do this snipping procedure but this is the one that was easy for me.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Gold member
Default Malware bytes

This program just rooted out a coulpe of nasty things that Norton Internet Security Spyblaster Spybot CCleaner and Advanced System Care 5 missed.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.