Malware: XP Home Security 2012 on my desktop

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,389 Posts
Default Malware: XP Home Security 2012 on my desktop

this morning. After doing some research I find it is the newest strain out and that rebooting to the safe mode and downloading a removal program will not work. This infection works as well in the safe mode as in regular boot. I called a couple of tech supports and they advised this new strain cannot be removed via any anti malware or anti virus programs and has to be removed by a technician. Best Buy up to $300..internet supporters anywhere from $129 to $300.
Has anybody had this? If yes how did you get it removed?

If it has to be a technician or somebody hands on, do you have a recommendation?

My desk top is pretty much not functional and I am using my laptop. I am not sure I want to put up to $300 in the desk top as I have everything backed on on a remote hard drive as well as on my laptop.

Thanx for responses to come...I hope.

btk
Old 12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
this morning. After doing some research I find it is the newest strain out and that rebooting to the safe mode and downloading a removal program will not work. This infection works as well in the safe mode as in regular boot. I called a couple of tech supports and they advised this new strain cannot be removed via any anti malware or anti virus programs and has to be removed by a technician. Best Buy up to $300..internet supporters anywhere from $129 to $300.

If it has to be a technician or somebody hands on, do you have a recommendation?

My desk top is pretty much not functional and I am using my laptop. I am not sure I want to put up to $300 in the desk top as I have everything backed on on a remote hard drive as well as on my laptop.

btk
Not sure if this is an option for you, but I have used the restore option to restore the system to a known safe day...maybe 2 or 3 days ago. I've had viruses I was not able to eradicate without doing this.

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
this morning. After doing some research I find it is the newest strain out and that rebooting to the safe mode and downloading a removal program will not work.
I would try Malwarebytes anyway. It can't hurt and might just work.
See another thread where we had discussions about viruses.
In reality, they're different!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

As noted above, I also would first try Restore to whatever date in the past my computer would allow.

Failing that, you will have to take your desktop to a technician and get the hard drive swiped clean and then reinstall Windows. Last time I had to have that done, it cost $150 but that was in NY.

Wonder if the Geek Squad at a local BB would do it???
Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Try this article for removal.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...-security-2012
Old 12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

YOU can always uninstall Windows and do a clean install yourself. I just did that for a friend. This might be the option I would choose, especially where you have the backup. It isn't that difficult to do this yourself unless you are timid and afraid!!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:

btk
if youre happy with XP PRO you can buy a new pc on yugster for $204
Old 12-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Gold member

http://www.yugster.com/todays-deals/yours-until-gone
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

btk - i hope you have recovered from this malcontent malware! if not, and for others concerned about this malware - there is a great thread about removing this nasty aggrevation on one of the cnet forums - good to copy/save for future reference.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102...security-2012/

Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Gold member
Default Mac

Another reason to leave the PCworld and move to MAC

As I sit here typing on XP waiting for it to hit me also.

What were you doing that downloaded this mess?

I have Norton and Spyblaster, Spybots CCleaner and Advanced System Wear 5 all running,

Mac salesperson said what are you going to do with your two hours of cleaning time gone!

Good luck with the cooties cleaning! I would just blow out the system and reload fresh XP.

Be careful of restore. It will transfer the virus to that safe section.

H
Old 12-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum member

I like the technicians at MMD on 441.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM

Did you try running MalwareBytes (with the latest database) from a flash drive yet?

PS.
Their Pro version was the best $25 piece of s/w I've ever bought. Just using it running all the time in the background (instead of dealing with problems in reactive mode) and MSE has kept my 2 XP machines and this Vista one safe for a year or 2 now.....knock on wood-

Last edited by Jazzper; 12-10-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,389 Posts

so far nothing works. No matter what file or icon you use the virus shuts off access especially any virus or malware fighters. Using restore it does the same thing...as soon as one tries to access system restore it blocks it. This morning I was able to get to system restore from the intro to the safe mode...it gives one the option to operate in the safe mode or go to system restore. The system then proceded allowing me to set a new date....however when it comes time for the PC to reboot, the virus prevents the shut down.

I have not tried to use malware from a flash drive. I assume one saves the download to flash, then access from "my computer"? I further assume this should be done in the safe mode.

More later.

btk
Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 PM

btk,

What I've done for others is download and install it onto a flash drive from another PC. Actually install it on that flash drive -- e.g. it F: drive or whatever it come up as -- so that it goes out and gets the latest MalwareBytes database. Then take that flash drive over to the infected PC and run it there. In some cases I have had to boot up the infected PC in safe mode to get it to run since some malware screws up the registry such that it will not recognize the USB ports and flash drive. I always run it at least once after deleting the malware it finds -- until it reports back that no errors were found. MWB has always come thru though....Good luck!!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Eternal Member

As far as I am concerned, you are way past Malwarebytes or any other app that does not directly address your problem. If there is not an app out there on the Internet that directly addresses the XP Home Security 2012 virus removal then you need to see a professional.

I recommend MMD:

They are on 27/441. A couple of blocks south of 466.

109 S. US Hwy 27/441
Lady Lake, Fl 32159
(352) 750-3707

Unfortunately it is now Saturday afternoon and I think they are closed for the weekend.

I do see several sites with a XP Home Security 2012 virus removal process. Give one or two of them a try.

I did help a person with a virus using one of the internet removal tools but not this one.

Good Luck!!!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.