Malware: XP Home Security 2012 on my desktop

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM

Here's a nifty YouTube video of step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of it using two Malwarebytes tools.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_C5hheRPE[/ame]

Looks like you're correct, zcaveman. This video showed their other tool, Roguekiller, is also required. Probably worth giving it a shot before shelling out any $$$.

Again....good luck!!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
That malware came from or through the TOTV site. I got it this morning when I was writing a post regarding catastrophic ground collapse in another thread. I was on my Dell PC when it struck in the middle of my posting. I'm now on my Apple iBook G4 laptop computer. Thank goodness I have it.
I immediately unplugged from the internet and tried to run Malwarebytes that is already installed on that computer. Wouldn't run. OK, I have a CD for it although from earlier this year when I got another virus from the AARP site. Malwarebytes fixed it. Still wouldn't load so I guess I'm going to have to download a later version and see what happens or try another product. I'm thinking these things are coming from ads placed on the websites as they're both good sites and nowhere else that I go on the internet has caused me these problems. I do searches very carefully and I do ebay and another forum without problems.
Beware and update your protection now.
Oh no! It's on my desktop. Yikes!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Default WOW! Warning, it might be in the post on SINHOLES!

I was looking at the TOTV New Posts this morning when the MALWARE hit me. I was reading the post about the sinkholes. I didn't know where it came from but I was researching an external web site that someone had post about sinkholes. I was looking at the location of a sink hole reported July 19, 1974 near Wildwood outside the Villages. I download a site that would help me with the location of sinkhole which was list long -82.036111 lat 28.852778
I download Maps4PC and that when it hit me. I think I was able to remove the MALWARE but I'm not sure because I'm not that good with computers. I was ready to take to Best Buy. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Eternal Member

While on TOTV on Friday I received a red screen and a warning for something I cannot remember. I just hit the back arrow and was back at TOTV and continued reading the posts with no problems. I then ran Malwarebytes on a full scan along with Microsoft Security Essentials and both reported no problems.

Now if you get this red screen there are a couple of things to do.

1. DO NOT CLICK ON THE ANYTHING WITHIN THE BODY OF THE WEB PAGE.

2. Use the back arrow on your browser to go back a screen and then close your browser and run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. Another thing you can do if that screen pops up is to just power the computer off. The next time you reboot the computer it will ask you how you want to boot up and just use the normal mode and you should be okay. Run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials for a complete scan. Your desktop icons may not be arranged the way you had them but they are all still there.

VG
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I have now tried to load malwarebytes from a flash drive and the new starin of this virus actually learns as you go through the steps and once it determines where your headed it blocks all access.
Most of yesterday afternoon I was trying everything the Malwarebytes site recommended....they had several alternates on how to trick the virus...none worked.

Tomorrow I will be working with one of their techs on a chat connection to see what we do next.

This episode has given me comfort for the time I have spent over the years always backing up to a portable hard drive as well as my laptop.
If you are not backed up you better do it.

I am also going to purchase Malwarebytes pro version for my laptop...I do not want to take a chance getting my laptop infected.

I will post what I learn as I go. Thanx for all the suggestions and support.

btk
Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Administrator

We take Malware, trojans, and security on the site very seriously. We will run additional scans but have not found anything that indicates TOTV as the source. If you have any technical data you would like to share please email to us.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Eternal Member

When I received the screen pop up the other day I tried to do a screen capture but anything I tried would not work. At that point I did what needed to be done to get out of the situtiation.

Next time I think I will take a picture of the screen on my cell phone for reference as I have had people do that before when I was working in level 3 IT support.

VG
Old 12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
While on TOTV on Friday I received a red screen and a warning for something I cannot remember. I just hit the back arrow and was back at TOTV and continued reading the posts with no problems. I then ran Malwarebytes on a full scan along with Microsoft Security Essentials and both reported no problems.

Now if you get this red screen there are a couple of things to do.

1. DO NOT CLICK ON THE ANYTHING WITHIN THE BODY OF THE WEB PAGE.

2. Use the back arrow on your browser to go back a screen and then close your browser and run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.

3. Another thing you can do if that screen pops up is to just power the computer off. The next time you reboot the computer it will ask you how you want to boot up and just use the normal mode and you should be okay. Run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials for a complete scan. Your desktop icons may not be arranged the way you had them but they are all still there.

VG
I got the red screen also. At the time I was just looking at the New Post titles. Like you I got out and then got back in and did what I had done before and did not get the screen again.

All you said are good suggestions.

One question. Do you run the Malwarebytes quick scan or the full scan? I usually run the quick scan. I will probably run the full scan this afternoon when I am away from the PC.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM

Time for a Mac! I gave up on this nonsense with Windows last year and have had none of this with my Mac.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
One question. Do you run the Malwarebytes quick scan or the full scan? I usually run the quick scan. I will probably run the full scan this afternoon when I am away from the PC.
Z
When something like this happens I run a full scan as soon as possible. I run the quick scan every couple of weeks on my desktop and lap top.

The red screen happened on my lap top so the full scan did to take that long. As far as the desktop goes that takes a lot longer as I am spinning 2 500 gig hard drives and both are 80% full.

The one key thing to remember that if you are in the position of the OP, BTK, then you HAVE to boot the computer in safe mode with networking to run Malwarebytes or you are just wasting your time.

VG
Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
Time for a Mac! I gave up on this nonsense with Windows last year and have had none of this with my Mac.
I have both a Mac and a PC. The mac is my primary computer and computer platform of choice. I just shudder to think about the lack of productivity dealing with all of these malware and spyware issues on a daily basis. With my PC running Windows 7 I have Norton. Of curse running in the background slows it down. So far I've been lucky. But I watch where I go and am careful with Flash files.
So the question to ponder is the extra money for a Mac worth it compared to the frustration, headaches and expenses buying antivirus software and the expense having someone repair it? What about the security issues with private information that could be compromised?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

I got hit with the same thing today, probably from TOTV, but I can't remember which thread triggered it. Mine rendered my entire system inoperable, kept getting an offer to buy Vista Antivirus 2012 to cure this new virus.

I was able to reboot in safe mode (I had the adds for the Vista Antivirus 2012 pop up multiple times in "safe" mode which was strange) and eventually get to system restore from the start menu. I restored back to two days ago and it appears to have fixed the problem.

As extra protection, I updated my Norton, did a scan, and it appears as if my system is now OK.

What a pain in the arse.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Gold member
Default Herv

I agree Sir!

The Apple store said what are you going to do with all your free time instead of running cootie killers all day.

Major Geeks . com get Oibit Malware Fighter and Advanced system 5 free.

Also download Spyware Blaster as you say pain in the butt!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I was fortunate to get connected with the customer support gurus at Malwarebytes.
On their website and forum they supply a series of options on how to get around the infection to get the PC to operate. When none of those work they request you contact them by email.

They assigned a case number and a "helper". All communications was done via email...they are on the West coast....and via my lap top (uninfected PC).

They walked me through a series of analytical links which I downloaded to a flash stick and then onto my infected desk top. The links ran differing programs to sort out the problem(s) and create a log which I in turn emailed back to them. With that information they then would send the next link and instructions. Had to run three different programs but finally a clean computer once again.

The customer support was outstanding and very timely. I never had to wait more than an hour to get a response back.

I would pass along a caution that just backing away or changing system restore points may not necessarily remove the virus. It could still be in some corrupted files to resurface later.

Even after the last pass on mine was completed, they sent a link to remove the existing Malware application and another link to re-install a "fresh" version to assure that even the Malwarebytes program had no corruption.

Go to their website and sign up to their forum as there is an awful lot of material that would be of interest. I found the path I needed in their frequently asked questions.

I was using their free version and there was no charge for ANY of the customer support.

btk
Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

so glad to read that your malware dilemma is over! and glad to read such a glowing report of the tech assistance you received from the mwb staff!

guess i'll invest in the full product and service since my "free" download is only for a 30 trial!

does anyone know if there is a "free" version that is not a 30 day trial?

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.