Malware: XP Home Security 2012 on my desktop

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Sage
Default Safer browsing with Sandboxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzper View Post
Here's a nifty YouTube video of step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of it using two Malwarebytes tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_C5hheRPE

Looks like you're correct, zcaveman. This video showed their other tool, Roguekiller, is also required. Probably worth giving it a shot before shelling out any $$$.

Again....good luck!!
I did not read all posts in this thread until recently. I have seen the content of this video twice in the past week on my computer. I did not associate the subject of the OP with what I had seen until I saw this video. I cannot confirm what site caused it, if it happens again I will try to pay more attention.

What I can tell you is that both times the page came up just as in this video, telling me to register, etc. In both cases, I did not get infected. I firmly believe this is because I run my browser in a piece of software called Sandboxie. This product allows you to run software in a "sandboxed" environment. When this malware "hit" me, it infected this sandboxed area. All I had to do was clear the sandboxed area using the Sandboxie tool and restart the browser.

I do not sell this product, I use the free version of this product and have been saved a few times. If you interested, check out http://sandboxie.com/

Have safe day....
Old 12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I was fortunate to get connected with the customer support gurus at Malwarebytes.
On their website and forum they supply a series of options on how to get around the infection to get the PC to operate. When none of those work they request you contact them by email.

.......<Stuff snipped by Alan>

I was using their free version and there was no charge for ANY of the customer support.

btk
Great product, great story. I had no idea they would provide such support for us folks using it for free. After reading your story, I am proceding to purchase the product for $25. This is the type of company I like to support. I hope the real-time protection is as good as the rest of the product!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Great product, great story. I had no idea they would provide such support for us folks using it for free. After reading your story, I am proceding to purchase the product for $25. This is the type of company I like to support. I hope the real-time protection is as good as the rest of the product!
i have the for sale version and it is great !
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I run my browser in a piece of software called Sandboxie. This product allows you to run software in a "sandboxed" environment. When this malware "hit" me, it infected this sandboxed area. All I had to do was clear the sandboxed area using the Sandboxie tool and restart the browser.

I do not sell this product, I use the free version of this product and have been saved a few times. If you interested, check out http://sandboxie.com/

Have safe day....
I have been running my browser in "sandboxie" for several years - it provides great peace of mind and I have never had a problem with it.

It works just as expected.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

yes there is a free version of Malwarebytes available. Once the free trial is over I would guess there will be an option to either buy the Pro version or go to the free version.

Since the clean up I am currently running the free trial of the Pro version and the end of the trial I will buy the Pro version. They have definitely earned my business.

btk
Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Gold member
Default Thanks

You must feel Sooooooooooo much better. So nice tech support is really there to help you!

I am looking into this product.

I just clicked on this post and my XP sent up a blocked attack. I have been on other areas all night with no cootie alerts!

Take Care- Herv
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Sage

Once again today I got whacked by this annoying piece of Malware and when I got hit I figured I would share how Sandboxie works. When I got hit, my browser exits, at the same time this screen pops up:

The Villages Florida

Next comes all of the pop ups shown in the video earlier in this thread. For kicks I take no action on them, but rather run Malwarebytes and see this

The Villages Florida

As you can see, Malwarebytes finds the issue. Notice how the issue is under the directory c:\sandbox. This is where my sandbox exist and where a breach is contained.

At the same time, those annoying popups and live scan windows from the attack are all still there, asking me to run a free scan, etc.

I instead go to the Sandboxie control and delete contents of sandbox and all popups exit and I am back to normal.

The Villages Florida

Very cool....
Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Threat Blocked

Below is a screen shot I just captured of the Norton Internt Security warning that I received while here on TOTV. Norton blocked the threat so I didn't get infected. I am not sure if this is something really bad, had it been allowed into my computer......not familiar with the site. Norton rated the threat as "High" in severity.

Last edited by VillagesFlorida; 06-24-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Gold member
Default My Norton

My Norton did this once on this site but how to you capture a screen shot?

Nice job Did you go to Nortons site and report the site.

Herv
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Veteran member

I’ve had 6 high-level intrusion attempts (blocked by Norton) in the past two or three days, all of which happened while I was viewing TOTV.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Gold member
Default ??

Our Admin swears he has scanned and cleaned this site however I feel there is a stealth something that has been launched into the TOTV system,

Admin and most moderators ( FRANK ) are running Macs! So lucky them they don't get hit as we do.

No fair!

STD's on TOTV yuck

Herv
Old 12-16-2011, 07:02 AM
Eternal Member

Xp Security 2012 Malware is going around and just not isolated to TOTV. I have been on a different message forum this morning and found a discussion regarding this same malware. That forum "looks" very similar to the Vbulletin software that is used here but I did not find and copyright or other notification stating so.

If you Google "Xp Security 2012 Malware" you get a lot of hits.

VG
Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Gold member
Default Wow

People should put their computer skills to better use rather than create malware that makes others life's miserable.

I have a question.

I there a huge difference between

Malware
Virus
Bots
Trojans

???
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
People should put their computer skills to better use rather than create malware that makes others life's miserable.

I have a question.

I there a huge difference between

Malware
Virus
Bots
Trojans

???
Alot of the people that write this stuff likely do it for sport. It is a sad statement for sure. Here is a nice summary of terms....

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/secur...orm-diffs.html
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator

True they do it for sport and also to hopefully get your email and put you on a spam list or worse password information. It is always a good idea even with TOTV to change your password from time to time and definitely change passwords if you think you have been hit by Malware.

Not only have we scanned and checked everything but we have had 2 other separate and independent experts do the same and there was nothing found on TOTV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.