Microsoft emails about storage limit?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2023, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Microsoft emails about storage limit?

I keep getting emails from "Microsoft"
stating I am 3.37 MB over my storage limit of 5 GB. Stating what I cannot do with OneDrive and not able to send or receive emails from Outlook/Microsoft email accounts.
I do not use any of these.

All my mail is Gmail. All photos, communications and back up is via my iPhone.

Thus far there is no interruption of daily storage and communication/emails via my iPhone storage and back up.

Do I need to do something or just ignore the notifications.

I have no idea whether the notifications are even from Microsoft.

Suggestions/experience welcome.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

If you have a computer or laptop that runs on Microsoft Windows, you might possibly be automatically backing up data to OneDrive without even knowing it. Or you might have clicked a button on the last Windows update not realizing that you were telling it to use OneDrive as a default backup option.

If you don't have a computer or laptop, or have only a Mac or other Apple computer that doesn't use Windows at all, just toss the e-mails into your spam box and ignore them.

If you do have windows, then look in your windows menu for OneDrive, open it, and see what's in there (if anything). If it's full, you can always clean it out. You can also disable the automatic backup, if that's what's happening.

Do NOT click on any link in that e-mail though, obviously.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
stating I am 3.37 MB over my storage limit of 5 GB. Stating what I cannot do with OneDrive and not able to send or receive emails from Outlook/Microsoft email accounts.

Thus far there is no interruption of daily storage and communication/emails via my iPhone storage and back up.

Is the email addressed to your name or your email address? Anything addressed to your email address is a scam. If they don’t know who the account belongs to it is not real.
Old 06-26-2023, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:

It may be a scam, but it doesn't sound like it. If you have a free Microsoft account, go to onedrive.live.com/managestorage, and enter your Microsoft password. It will tell you if your 5GB of free cloud storage is full, and allow you to free up some space, or delete everything. Also, go to your Gmail website, and check to see if your emails are being synced to One Drive. If so, turn it off. You may also be syncing other files to One Drive. Look at the files on One Drive to see if you recognize any of them.

I have Microsoft 365, which costs $69.99 per year. It provides Microsoft Office that can be downloaded to multiple devices and provides 1TB of cloud storage on One Drive. It is actually a good deal, if you need a lot of cloud storage. Another option for cloud storage is to use your Google Drive, which almost everyone has, been many people don't even know they have it. Google gives you 15GB of free storage. Just log into Google and click on My Drive. You can set up your gmail account to sync your emails to the Google Drive instead of One Drive.
Old 06-26-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If you don't have a computer or laptop, or have only a Mac or other Apple computer that doesn't use Windows at all, just toss the e-mails into your spam box and ignore them.
Macs use OneDrive too if you have office products and/or Outlook.

Last edited by metoo21; 06-26-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Good to know. I disabled all microsoft software, only use the operating system and the security suite that comes with the computer. I use LibreOffice for everything that MS Office does, and gmail for e-mail.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
yes, but its a pain to manage, as its not really native to Apple
and apple backs ups to Apple Cloud.

We have office 365 just like retired guy,
and one is on a mac, and the other is one a windows pc.

the mac is a pain to install and use whereas the windows pc is defaulted. .
and outlook on a mac has issues. . at least for us. .

the purpose of Office 365 is to sell one drive storage, as one drive keeps a saved version of every workbook, which in addition to the latest, the other 20+ versions, etc. With my corp account, i have 1gig files which have 20 backups, and its a pain to always go into one drive and delete that file's versions which aren't ever needed

good luck

laptop guy
Old 06-26-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
yes, but its a pain to manage, as its not really native to Apple
and apple backs ups to Apple Cloud.

We have office 365 just like retired guy,
and one is on a mac, and the other is one a windows pc.

the mac is a pain to install and use whereas the windows pc is defaulted. .
and outlook on a mac has issues. . at least for us. .

the purpose of Office 365 is to sell one drive storage, as one drive keeps a saved version of every workbook, which in addition to the latest, the other 20+ versions, etc. With my corp account, i have 1gig files which have 20 backups, and its a pain to always go into one drive and delete that file's versions which aren't ever needed

good luck

laptop guy
I wouldn't know how difficult it is to manage from a Mac as I never use OneDrive and don't use Outlook. I was just pointing out that it is available to Mac users.
Old 06-26-2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:

From your description, I think that email is just a phishing attempt.

You said it says you will not be able to send outlook or Microsoft mail, so what, you use Gmail.

Some others suggested that perhaps your OneDrive was full. The default allocation for OneDrive is 5gb. To check what you are actually using, locate your OneDrive folder using File Explorer. Right click on it and then click properties. The properties display will show you how big the folder is and how may files and sub-folders are in it. If you are not using it, there will be about a dozen files in the folder.

Delete the email and move on.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:40 AM

I’m getting that same e-mail about my ICloud space. The text refers to me by the name to the left of the period in my e-mail address, which is only a mashup of my actual name. Just delete it. (Back when I first started getting this e-mail, I went to my ICloud account and found I have plenty of space.)
Old 06-27-2023, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

with threads like this.. no wondr y'all get hacked so much
Old 06-27-2023, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
From your description, I think that email is just a phishing attempt.

You said it says you will not be able to send outlook or Microsoft mail, so what, you use Gmail.

Some others suggested that perhaps your OneDrive was full. The default allocation for OneDrive is 5gb. To check what you are actually using, locate your OneDrive folder using File Explorer. Right click on it and then click properties. The properties display will show you how big the folder is and how may files and sub-folders are in it. If you are not using it, there will be about a dozen files in the folder.

Delete the email and move on.
The File Explorer folder will only display the files that are being stored on your computer hard drive. One Drive allows you to select which files you want to automatically sync to the hard drive and which files you want to reside only in the One Drive cloud folder. To view and manage the One Drive cloud folder, you need to be connected to the Internet and go to "onedrive.live.com/managestorage".

Anyone with a Microsoft account will have access to a free 5 GB One Drive cloud folder. It's possible that the OP exceeded the 5 GB limit and is being notified by Microsoft that they need to remove files or to buy more storage space. It can be easy to exceed the storage limit if you are syncing files from your email, photos, etc. Some people do this without even knowing it.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:58 AM
Default It's a scam. Just delete.

It's a scam. Just delete.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:09 AM

My wife got the same email and I received something similar from Google. What they doing is combining your email storage with your photos. They set a low limit and then try to charge you for extra storage. It's a money grab.
My wife did have a ton of old email and she deleted a bunch but was still over the limit with some photos that she didn't even know she had on one drive.
She finally started getting her email after deleting almost all of her photos which were really old.
I got the same from Google. Google used to have a photo app called Picaso years ago. You had unlimited storage of all your photos. They did away with that and said Photos would replace that app.
Now all of a sudden Google is combining gmail and photos to a 15gig limit. As soon as you open up gmail there's a statement in bold saying you are almost over the limit and would you like to buy extra storage $20 a month or something like that.
So you either have to delete photos or copy they locally to your hard drive.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:15 AM

I just had a scam from them! Becareful!
Call them direct!
Closed Thread

Tags
storage, emails, microsoft, stating, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.